I would like to post a rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hence...cough...blockchain....cough....blockchain.... :) :)

But then the security problem will be passed to the end consumer. There's already malware out there stealing digital wallets.

Rant understood. As others said, don't take it personal.

But while we're on the subject, let me add that no one should be upset with Fractal, the CC companies, the banks, etc. Be mad at the scumbags that continue to live like parasites on your financial blood supply. Don't support anything that supports the lifestyle, and don't put up with that crap in your associations. These people are a cancer (and I hate cancer) on society.

Last edited:
Rant understood. As others said, don't take it personal.

But while we're on the subject, let me add that no one should be upset with Fractal, the CC companies, the banks, etc. Be mad at the scumbags that continue to live like parasites on your financial blood supply. Don't support anything that supports the lifestyle, and don't put up with that crap in your associations. These people are a cancer (and I hate cancer) on society.

Actually, can I reserve the right to be angry at Equifax as well? It was bad enough when we had bad actors preying on us consumers, now we have to deal with vermin on the corporate scale. Thanks to those clowns and their sloppy security, folks like Fractal are only going to see the criminal fraudsters multiplying over the next few years.

Actually, can I reserve the right to be angry at Equifax as well?

No problem, everyone has to be mad at someone, right? But I will put this forward for your consideration... Would security breaches even matter if someone wasn't wanting to rip you off with the information they are stealing from someone else? Stealing to steal more... it's what they do.

Actually, can I reserve the right to be angry at Equifax as well? It was bad enough when we had bad actors preying on us consumers, now we have to deal with vermin on the corporate scale. Thanks to those clowns and their sloppy security, folks like Fractal are only going to see the criminal fraudsters multiplying over the next few years.
Yes. Sensitive data is part and parcel of building businesses. You have to handle it well or face consequences. Good NPR Planet Money episode on Equifax -- they've been around a looooong time.

Gday Alek,
It's great they took the chance to resolve it so quickly. In fractals position, I'd probably have a similar arrangement to try and protect my business. From the story you told, it appears an inconvenience but not a show stopper (from where I sit). In many ways, I'd prefer such a cautious approach, as it's an indicator of the companies approach to other issues. Glad you're still with us!
Thanks
Pauly

Hi.
My first post here.... I come here often though to get an answer for issues I got into on setup. People here are amazing! Very helpful and knowledgable community. Ok. Now here I go: I owned used Axe fxii mark2, and I own AX8 and Axe fxii xl plus. What really set me off was the moment when I purchased axe fx ii xl plus. My purchase was cancelled initially, not by a bank but by Fractal Audio. I received an email to call Fractal Audio. :). So I did. And since I am from Canada I talked to one guy for Canadian support... I guess. I will not tell his name though. I was let known that my purchase has been cancelled because my name sounds Russian (I am not Russian, but I do have the thick accent though ;)) and they had a lot of scams with orders and Russian names. Anyway long story short, I was asked a couple of security questions (where I buy guitar strings etc) and my purchase went through. But this was just awful. Even if I bought ax8 before that, no issues with that order, Fractal Audio was thinking that I am a scammer. I realized it only after phone call was completed. WTH. Also.... I am on the list for Axe fx3 (received confirmation on Feb 2 or 3 I think). I can't wait to have my hands on it, I am just afraid that I will have to go through the same ordeal. If it happens again, I am contempmating on snubbing it, but I am weak. I am also thinking that this thread will be removed, but I just wanted to share my story with you guys. Since I was late for wait list, I still have the time to think about it... maybe in a couple of months when my name shows up it will be much clearer. Also, I noticed that email thread for $3499 disappeared. Not cool.
I had to do this. It was sitting in me.

Bewildered Australian here... Why don't you guys have two-step authentication?

Our banks have it as a pretty normal feature, where any particularly notable transactions can be verified with a text to your mobile.

Saves declining and all that, and means the actual sellers get hit a lot less because the number of actual fraudulent transactions is minimal

Bewildered Australian here... Why don't you guys have two-step authentication?
Much security advancement in the USA's banking system is stymied by the "how will the people learn to use it???" narrative. Chip+Signature took literally 12 years to figure out here when the rest of the developed world moved to the much more secure Chip+PIN in a handful of years.

Much security advancement in the USA's banking system is stymied by the "how will the people learn to use it???" narrative. Chip+Signature took literally 12 years to figure out here when the rest of the developed world moved to the much more secure Chip+PIN in a handful of years.
Yeah we moved past signatures quicksmart. Now the standard is tap & go, with large purchases requiring the pin. It's pretty good overall given the risk of the card being stolen. Banks just reverse fraudulent transactions straight away - and now with smartphones you can put a lock on your card instantly. The whole system is pretty good here.

I'm always purplexed by people who take personal offence to security processes designed to help protect them.

I'm always purplexed by people who take personal offence to security processes designed to help protect them.

Sounds like you haven't been standing in front of a register , with a line of people behind you , waiting , while you get denied the use of your card , after spending hours in some store , tediously picking out thousands of dollars in materials you NEED , while knowing you have the available balance , while knowing - you have good credit and pay your bills on time , etc , ......while getting denied. Pissed me off. It was the circumstance.
I get it. Good thing they check , but sometimes the timing just sucks.

2 days after I ordered a hat and shirt from fractal , I got an unrelated security notice of fraudulent activity on my card. iTunes charges ( I don't have a card attached to iTunes )
We were leaving for vacation on Monday , it was a Friday , UPS won't deliver on Saturday , next day air didn't help , had to sign for the card. Like the delivery of the Axe III , I had to receive the card at my home to sign. They couldn't keep it at the UPS facility and let me pick it up. What a show.
Thieves suck.

Thieves suck.
+1, they are making these inconveniences necessary, and often they are operating from the opposite side of the globe; which is why the collective "we" need to be as tough on them as possible, and equally as tough on organizations that record our data (ie CC#), and don't properly protect it from being hacked (seems we regularly have stories about millions of accounts being hacked out from under the nose of one big organization or another).

By the way, our order-screening process uses far more objective criteria than something like the "Russian-ness" of a name. If anything, criminals -- often Russian -- have lately been using stolen credit cards and identities with very non-Russian names. At the same time, thousands of orders with surnames originating all around the planet can come and go without raising flags. It may be in this case that this details was just one consideration mentioned by the sales agent you spoke to.

I am also perplexed by people who respond to posts, but do not read the actual post. Enlighten me how did Fractal Audio was trying to protect me here? By offending me? Do let me know. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom