I wonder ...

MFC Integration

I wonder if there will be tight integration between this and the MFC-101? I'd like to be able to use the MFC as an IA board for individual fx, or even be able to keep the FX8 back near the amp for short cable runs and use the MFC as the controller out front.

Last edited:
According to the WIKI...

"The FX-8 is not a substitute for the MFC. It cannot function as a dedicated MIDI controller for the Axe-Fx. It will send basic MIDI commands but it is not intended to be a MIDI controller."

According to the WIKI...

"The FX-8 is not a substitute for the MFC. It cannot function as a dedicated MIDI controller for the Axe-Fx. It will send basic MIDI commands but it is not intended to be a MIDI controller."

Yeah, I read that, but it doesn't effect what I'm saying. My question is not whether I can use the FX-8 in place of the MFC, but whether I can use both the MFC and FX-8 similar to how you are able to use the MFC and AXE-FX. I would prefer to expose FX-8 features and individual fx via the MFC switches. I figure there is probably something that can be done via MIDI, since the MFC is so powerful, it just depends on the MIDI IN implementation of the FX-8.

Unfortunately, it's just speculation until the FX8 or its manual get released, but I would wager that those MIDI In/Out ports on the back aren't there for show. :)

That's all to say, I wouldn't be surprised if you get your wish, though the target audience - as I understand it - is for people who want a pretty simple solution.

I doubt there is "tight integration" like some sort of FX8 mode like the Axe mode 2 way communication. Most likely you can setup general IA switches on the MFC and the FX8 most likely has MIDI control similar to the Axe. But I bet the tuner of the fx8 won't send its data to the MFC tuner, etc.

But only a few people know those details for sure. I personally try not to expect things like that, only to be disappointed when the gear is released. It is a floor pedal already. Not sure how many would use it like a rack unit or if it was at all intended for that kind of use when developed. Though I completely agree with the short cable run desire. Power users will need 20+ feet of 2 MIDI cables, 2 TRS to TS Y cables, 3-6 1/4" cables for 4CM (more if in stereo) and have power at the front of the stage.

Last edited:
Have to wait and see, but a MIDI implementation similar to the Axe FX makes sense. Because this has foot control switches already, it would be a reasonable expectation that they can externalize the controls. I only ask because the presence of a MIDI IN doesn't indicate the level of MIDI implementation.

My thinking is that this will be a pretty powerful unit, powerful enough that you will naturally want more control over it. I don't mind putting something with foot switches back behind my rig. After all, every pedal I have back there already has a foot switch. I hope when developers make boxes that have foot controls built in, they will also plan for the potential of the unit to be racked. I love the fact that they are planning this unit to have both PRE and POST IO, BTW. Yet, that will make one think about the cable runs necessary.

Back
Top Bottom