I wish I had an Axe FX buddy near me.

Ben.Last

Experienced
I'm currently finding myself wishing that I had a friend nearby with experience with Axe FX (or at least extensive experience with guitar amps and recording them) so that I had someone to work through dialing in patches with. My bassist and vocalist both play guitar (I'm our sole guitarist, which doesn't help), but neither of them are really even into the gear side of things at all. So, I find myself continually tweaking and retweaking and then listening back to where my patches are at and feeling like there's just something not working about them.

The forum is great, but then there's the issue of the people on the other end either having my patches but listening to the results in their own environment, with their own guitars, and their own hands, or clips, which don't always tell the whole story.

Meet ups are great for this stuff, but I, sadly, wasn't able to make it to the one that Mission hosted.

It just got me thinking that I wish I had someone I knew of in my area that was into this kind of stuff to sit down in a room together and work on patches. Anyone else feel this way? That sometimes you end up too much in your own head during the process of tone crafting, and that you'd benefit from having someone to work together with?

He mentioned the axe owners meetup at Mission Engineering which is in Petaluma, California. Right next to the one and only Mesa Boogie shop.

I'm in the Bay Area but free time is a scarce commodity for me. It would be great to meet and play with other Axe owners tho.

I didn't think that far (cause there are not many Axe FX2 users around here) but it sure would be practical.

It just got me thinking that I wish I had someone I knew of in my area that was into this kind of stuff to sit down in a room together and work on patches. Anyone else feel this way? That sometimes you end up too much in your own head during the process of tone crafting, and that you'd benefit from having someone to work together with?

I did at first and most of the ideas on the forum/preset exchange were over my head. UNTIL.... I had a genius idea to purchase some flat monitors and utilize my live sound rig (2 - Alto TS115A through a Mackie board). Now I have an A/B switcher that goes from my near-field monitors to my live sound simulation. This helps me gain stage correctly and get just the right tones out of both FOH simulation and recording studio quality.

Axe-Edit is all I use to clear and create presets when doing this. It took a while to dial in exactly what I wanted but I think I am finally comfortable with how to make a preset consistently.

What genre is your band a member of? That has a lot to do with how you build presets also. Maybe we can help you build a new preset so you can be more comfortable??

One thing you could do is pick some reference mixes to compare to. Stuff that sounds like what you're aiming for that you can keep going back to as you tweak. It's easy to get lost in tweaking things and getting lost in completely the wrong things, but if you have something to compare to it can help stay on track.

I'm in Sacramento.

I'm playing hard rock/metal/industrial stuff, so the majority of what I'm doing is high gain with an 8 string guitar (guitar tones, specifically, that I'm going for are along the lines of stuff like Deftones, Rammstein, and The Acacia Strain). I do use reference tracks, but then I run into the problem of finding examples that demonstrate what things should sound like prior to being double/quad/X tracked. I know the generalities of what needs to happen with a guitar tone that's going to be multi-tracked, but putting it into action is another question. I'm getting good results, but still feel like there's a lot missing. Then I run into the issue of figuring out my live sound too, which is a whole new ballgame. So, while reference tracks help, they still don't quite do the job.

I'd be happy to meetup with anyone in Sacramento that was interested. I know genre differences are going to affect the amount and type of help we'd be able to give each other, but it's all working with the parameters in the unit, so it seems like it'd be a good idea to me.

Last edited:
Well let's see... I'm in a Michigan now, and I've seen hide nor hair of Mr. Scott Peterson. WTH! He might be a little busy, of course. And you know, there must be a few people in this area... LOL

But yeah, I tried to get my rig to a Guitar Guys meet up in Lincoln, NE, and family constraints kept me from going. And then we freaking moved (and it's really cold here! lol). Thankfully, there are a number of other Axe FX users in the Lincoln/Omaha area.

It would be a cool thing to bounce tricks and ideas off other users in person. I certainly have so, so much to learn.

Back
Top Bottom