Closed I wish Fractal Allows Me to Overwrite All Factory IRs

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you used every single one of the Axe III's 512 patches, and each one of them used a Cab block, and each of those Cab blocks used all 4 possible IR slots, and every single cab slot used a User cab, and you didn't re-use ONE SINGLE CAB in all 512 patches, NOR did you combine any IRs you liked into a single IR like you can easily do, the 2048 user cabs would still be enough slots to support that.

Also, you can EASILY try as many cabs as you want with the software, and the cab slots are infinitely re-writable.

With respect, this entire thread is stupid and the OP has no idea what he's talking about.
While I generally agree with you, your math is off. A cab block has 4 slots x 4 channels x 2 cab blocks x 512 presets = 16,384.

But yes to everything else.

If you used every single one of the Axe III's 512 patches, and each one of them used a Cab block, and each of those Cab blocks used all 4 possible IR slots, and every single cab slot used a User cab, and you didn't re-use ONE SINGLE CAB in all 512 patches, NOR did you combine any IRs you liked into a single IR like you can easily do, the 2048 user cabs would still be enough slots to support that.

Also, you can EASILY try as many cabs as you want with the software, and the cab slots are infinitely re-writable.

With respect, this entire thread is stupid and the OP has no idea what he's talking about.
To jump to a conclusion like this, I can only assume you either did not read my previous posts/explanation or failed to understand it.

It‘s not about using each every different (cab, mic, position) combination in all patches, it’s about being able to efficiently find different combos for different purpose when situation calls for it.

While I generally agree with you, your math is off. A cab block has 4 slots x 4 channels x 2 cab blocks x 512 presets = 16,384.

We are over this math calculation many posts ago...

Last edited:
While I don't agree that Factory IRs should be overwritable (I think this would cause more issues than it would solve), I do think there could be usability improvements in the IR selection process.

The ability to assign a color to each IR is a good start. Ideally I would imagine having a set of metadata associated with each IR, and you can then filter for specific metadata values. Useful categories might be speaker size, number of speakers, capture microphone and IR producer. Maybe also cabinet name, so you can then view just the different captures for a single cabinet (all different mics and positions available).

From a UI perspective, having to work through a few thousand IRs in a flat list is not ideal. I know there are reasons it was done this way, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement.

Whether there is space within the FXIII to store this sort of data is another question, and there is also the question of how this data gets populated (I imagine it would be up to the user to enter this data for third-party IRs).

Another option would be to allow for complex searches in Manage Cabs. For example, being able to search for "1x12" AND "57" to pull up all 1x12 cabs captured with an SM57.

Another option would be to allow for complex searches in Manage Cabs. For example, being able to search for "1x12" AND "57" to pull up all 1x12 cabs captured with an SM57.
Thank you, that's along the right direction, I think.
  1. Why not show a list of cabs to choose from, which dynamically filter as user types?
  2. Then after choosing the cab, allow users to choose a mic.
  3. After that allow users to choose position/distance.

Yeah, for the purpose of making my point I didn't account for the cab block's multiple channels.
Still though, my point was that there are over 2,000 user cab slots. That's a whole bunch however you slice it. :)

It‘s not about using each every different (cab, mic, position) combination in all patches, it’s about being able to efficiently find different combos for different purpose when situation calls for it.

There are multiple ways to do that.

You can name your IRs in search-friendly ways. "4x12 V30 57 Treble Metal" etc. and build your IR combos that way (although search filtering would be an Axe Edit thing and not a front panel thing).

Or if you want a 1-click solution, the best way to do that would be to find the best combos of IRs for whatever type of sound you want yourself, then bake them all into a single IR you uniquely name, and do that for every combo of IRs you find desireable or suitable for your favorite sounds. The easiest and most flexible way to do this would be with Cab Lab, or you can do it from within the Axe-Fx itself if you get creative. Build a cab block with your favorite mix of IRs, then tone match white noise through that block vs white noise straight into the tone match block and you'll get a single IR of the cab block you just built.

I'll also apologize for my tone earlier. At the time it seemed like you didn't have that specific kind of request, but that you were just shouting "I want more."

Last edited:
Thank you, that's along the right direction, I think.
  1. Why not show a list of cabs to choose from, which dynamically filter as user types?
  2. Then after choosing the cab, allow users to choose a mic.
  3. After that allow users to choose position/distance.
This again, eh? It's been asked for. This naive request doesn't account for (off the top of my head):

• Multi-mic mixes
  • Multi-speaker and cabinet mixes
  • Mixes of any kind, really
  • IR producers who don't want to give this information to you
  • IRs of non-guitar speakers

Last edited:
This again, eh? It's been asked for. This naive request doesn't account for (off the top of my head):

• Multi-mic mixes
  • Multi-speaker and cabinet mixes
  • Mixes of any kind, really
  • IC producers who don't want to give this information to you
Naive...? Are you serious? In fact, the current Fractal IR management system can be called somewhat primitive or naive, IMHO.

I can mix a SM57 from 3 inch with a 121 from 6 inch away within the Cab block, right? I don't necessarily need or want that combo to be baked into a fixed IR. In fact, Helix allows for exactly that, which worked pretty well, you should give it a try. ML Mikko's PoC work also allows putting multiple mics at different positions for a final mixed IR.

On the other hand, there is nothing to prevent the UI to provide those "mixes" as special mic position/configuration. I don't see any problem here.

Maybe you want a Helix then?
I have Helix and Axe III, I love Axe's amp modeling better. That being said, that doesn't mean there is nothing Fractal can learn from Helix's interface, and perhaps do even better.

I think we have discussed enough on this topic, and most points are exhausted. I do hope @FractalAudio will give it some thought on how to innovate on IR selection/management interface.

Unfortunately, for whatever reason, some folks failed(refused) to comprehend the real point/issue here, and that's fine. I don't feel it'll be productive to argue further at this point.

Naive...? Are you serious? In fact, the current Fractal IR management system can be called somewhat primitive or naive, IMHO.

I can mix a SM57 from 3 inch with a 121 from 6 inch away within the Cab block, right? I don't necessarily need or want that combo to be baked into a fixed IR. In fact, Helix allows for exactly that, which worked pretty well, you should give it a try. ML Mikko's PoC work also allows putting multiple mics at different positions for a final mixed IR.

On the other hand, there is nothing to prevent the UI to provide those "mixes" as special mic position/configuration. I don't see any problem here.

In Axe Edit, you can save individual blocks to your workspace. Setup a Cab block with up to 4 IRs and tweak them however you want, then save that Cab block in Axe Edit. Now you can recall it at any time in any patch, and it will be editable from there.

"naive" is not a derogatory word, nor do I think Ian intented it as any sort of insult or slight. It simply means someone hasn't been using FAS gear, or on the forum for a long time and doesn't know if certain things have been already discussed for years....

I'm working on buying a new home and am naive with regards to lots of the process, with points, title and closing costs etc. Doesn't mean I'm not intelligent, just means I don't have experience with those things to the same degree others might

"naive" is not a derogatory word, nor do I think Ian intented it as any sort of insult or slight. It simply means someone hasn't been using FAS gear, or on the forum for a long time and doesn't know if certain things have been already discussed for years....
This is correct. "Unsophisticated" works as well here.

This idea has come up a few times in the past few weeks. I guess is spurred by a bunch of new Mikko software users liking that UI and wanting Fractal to crib it and give it to them for use with all IRs and not just Mikko's IRs?

Whatever it is, it misses the mark by a long shot. These fancy interfaces in Helix and Mikko's world work because they're closed worlds. Fractal is an open world when it comes to IRs. IRs don't even have be speakers in cabinets! I have IRs of Echoplexes, acoustic guitars, mandolins, etc.

And then the mixes -- mixes everywhere. The request totally misses out on mixes. IR producers generally don't share detailed information here because the knowledge of how to make that mix is what you're buying from them. IRs are a dime a dozen, but a well-mixed, multi-mic and even multi-speaker IR is something that's unique and the real differentiator between a pack from Mikko or Justin York or Dr. Bonkers.

It's naive to think every IR is a single mic, on a single speaker, in this world.

If you want to sort a library and mix it with a third party tool that does that, go for it. Have at it. But the Fractal IR world is unbounded by these oversimplifications.

The best request I've seen in this area is to allow for a more flexible search implementation in Axe-Edit: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/allow-boolean-search-in-manage-cabs.162027/#post-1940702
-- that makes sense. You can name your IRs how you like and search them in any way that makes sense to you.

Last edited:
This is correct. "Unsophisticated" works as well here.

This idea has come up a few times in the past few weeks. I guess is spurred by a bunch of new Mikko software users liking that UI and wanting Fractal to crib it and give it to them for use with all IRs and not just Mikko's IRs?

Whatever it is, it misses the mark by a long shot. These fancy interfaces in Helix and Mikko's world work because they're closed worlds. Fractal is an open world when it comes to IRs. IRs don't even have be speakers in cabinets! I have IRs of Echoplexes, acoustic guitars, mandolins, etc.

And then the mixes -- mixes everywhere. The request totally misses out on mixes. IR producers generally don't share detailed information here because the knowledge of how to make that mix is what you're buying from them. IRs are a dime a dozen, but a well-mixed, multi-mic and even multi-speaker IR is something that's unique and the real differentiator between a pack from Mikko or Justin York or Dr. Bonkers.

It's naive to think every IR is a single mic, on a single speaker, in this world.

If you want to sort a library and mix it with a third party tool that does that, go for it. Have at it. But the Fractal IR world is unbounded by these oversimplifications.

The best request I've seen in this area is to allow for a more flexible search implementation in Axe-Edit: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/allow-boolean-search-in-manage-cabs.162027/#post-1940702
-- that makes sense. You can name your IRs how you like and search them in any way that makes sense to you.
Imagine such an interface for single mics, to allow user to select (cab/speaker, mic, position) combination, that's majority of IRs, and user can use that to come up with any mic mix they want.
Other special mix IRs can still be left in Factory bank or even User bank.

I don't see any problem here. Then users will either use the nice IR selection/mixing interface, or use IRs from the bank much like using their own imported IRs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom