Closed I wish Fractal Allows Me to Overwrite All Factory IRs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Al

Inspired
Maybe I am crazy, but I found 2048 User IR slots not enough for me to import all my IRs. I think it would be great to allow users to overwrite ALL factory IRs... Perhaps considering providing factory IRs as bank downloads in case user needs to restore factory ones, but give user the freedom to overwrite them :)

Wow, most people find that 2048 is about 2040 too much.....most people don't use that many cabs, and I can't think of a case use for all those many cabs but everyone is different.....

I think there was a request like this once but it was decided against at the time

Do you NEED to have that many cabs on the unit? You can just audition and load the ones you NEED from your pc 🖥

You can also use cab lab to mix them to give you combinations of cabs.....at any given point you can only use a few of those cabs in a preset anyway so you'll have to be selective at some point...cab lab will make it easier to get the perfect mix 👌

Yeah I basically use just a few - 10 for the most, but I DO like options and try different ones just for the hell of it

I usually still go back to the usual favorites, just like most players here

The USB drive idea is a great one....I like the idea of being able to load things up easily without having to move the rack around. I love my MPC for that - I just load up whatever on a flash drive - firmware included - and it's off to the races 🏁 😎

I'd prefer it on the front panel too with a little cover/flap to hide it/protect it from dust etc when not in use, like the ones on car decks.

Might be a good idea for the mark ii or axe 4 whenever they are being designed

Seems like we’ve have lots of people overwriting factory cabs then complaining the factory presets, or even aftermarket presets that used stock cabs all sound like crap, not authentic etc and complaining to no end
Are suggestions to make the fractal better a bad thing? There’s an entire sub forum dedicated to a wish list.

Are suggestions to make the fractal better a bad thing? There’s an entire sub forum dedicated to a wish list.

If they ultimately do provide a benefit, then no, there is nothing wrong with the pursuit of "better", but there is also a very real possibility that certain changes result in the opposite thing happening....

I'm sure when they rolled out new Coke they thought they were making it "better" but ended up most people didn't like it.

People just making random suggestions or "wishes" with no possibility for discussion, counter arguments et al., does not generally lead to improvements. You've been around here long enough to have a good idea of the typical issues and complaints people post.

How many users really "need" more than 2000+ user slots for IR's vs how many people just stick with factory presents, which make use of existing factory IR's, as does nearly every aftermarket preset collection like the Austin Buddy stuff.... Every amp matched to the subjectively "best" cab, and that works because of the known variables of factory cabs.

If I had a dollar for every time someone loaded a preset that made use of a user cab and then complained " help.... my present has no sound" I'd be rich lol

Way I see it, the Axe has a the ability to work great for folks who want to stick with factory presets or purchase them, AND it also has what I would consider more than enough room to store user stuff for those who want to do that, and then, for the minority who want even more space, there is the ability to easily connect to Axe-Edit and have essentially limitless storage.... covers most bases pretty well.

And yeah, yeah, I know, there is that one in a million user who is going to say "but I need to have 50,000 possible cabs/IR's all at my disposal and I'm also not going to have a pc/laptop handy because I'm in the middle of the desert running my Axe from a 12v car battery for the next 3 months... but how likely is that really ?

Seems what would actually happen is people would say I've got 50,000 IR's and I've only actually auditioned a few hundred of them, and actually just use 8 of them, but someday I'll get around to going through them all, when I've got a few weeks to spare

Last edited:
To be fair, 128 cabs, 4 mics and 4 mic positions would be 2048 IR slots. Still a lot of cabs. Too many to fit in my living room.
Divide that by 10 (approximately) and you still have 13 cabs. Which is 11 more than what I used for years. That being said, I have purchased a few IR packs.

Reactions: jon
Sidestepping for a moment the skeptical comment regarding why anyone would need more than 2048 User IR slots...

Perhaps the OP is under the impression that there is a substantial amount of memory that would be gained by eliminating the "Factory Cabs". My understanding has always been that those factory cabs are stored in ROM, and take up very little actual, reclaimable memory.
Unless that's changed in the newer architecture, that's probably the best point to explain why that isn't as good an idea as it might at first appear.

Sidestepping for a moment the skeptical comment regarding why anyone would need more than 2048 User IR slots...

Perhaps the OP is under the impression that there is a substantial amount of memory that would be gained by eliminating the "Factory Cabs". My understanding has always been that those factory cabs are stored in ROM, and take up very little actual, reclaimable memory.
Unless that's changed in the newer architecture, that's probably the best point to explain why that isn't as good an idea as it might at first appear.
I think the OP would be making the assumption that the 2048 factory could be replaced by 2048 user IRs... Which is probably an accurate assumption unless somehow factory IRs take up less space than any other IR, which is doubtful.

Just put all your IRs in one folder on your computer and use axe manage cabs to audition them.

I may be wrong, but I'm going to assume you don't have 2048 presets each with a unique cab block on them. If that's the case, the only cab IRs that actually need to be on the unit are the ones present in the presets you use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom