Closed I wish Fractal Allows Me to Overwrite All Factory IRs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good/fair question. Let's see, HX provides about 40 stock cabs. Sometimes when I play around with a DR amp, I'd be curious to try out 15/40 of those cabs and majorly 1x12 and 2x12s, and when playing with a Tweed amp, I may be curious to try out 25/40 cabs, etc. When trying different cabs, I'd normally try out 5~6/17 mics at their typical distances, which is super easy in Helix by scrolling.
So on HX, you're playing with half the available cabs and third of the available mics with those cabs, which makes for (20 cabs) * (5 mics) = 100 IRs per amp... doesn't sound to me you've filtered out your much IRs at all, let alone to 98%. I think that's one of those things one does once and move on, no? Do you really do that on the regular? And even if you use 100 IRs per amp, and supposing no overlapping IRs at all between amps, do you use more than 20 amps regularly?

Anyway, I don't think that's how most people make use IRs, I think your case might be pretty unique.

Last edited:
So on HX, you're playing with half the available cabs and third of the available mics with those cabs, which makes for (20 cabs) * (5 mics) = 100 IRs per amp... doesn't sound to me you've filtered out your much IRs at all, let alone to 98%. I think that's one of those things one does once and move on, no? Do you really do that on the regular? And even if you use 100 IRs per amp, and supposing no overlapping IRs at all between amps, do you use more than 20 amps?

Anyway, I don't think that's how most people make use IRs, I think your case might be pretty unique.
Maybe, but who knows? many folks might adapt a similar workflow, once such an user-friendly interface is made readily available, simply because it becomes possible, easy and fun to do so :)

Maybe, but who knows? many folks might adapt a similar workflow, once such an user-friendly interface is made readily available, simply because it becomes possible, easy and fun to do so :)
It's already available as you know, in GuitarRig, Mikko, Helix, etc., and I don't think most people spend their time regularly auditioning 100 different IRs per an amp... at least I hope they're not. Most people (should ;)) pick an amp, pick a known good IR with it, and play.

Anyway, it might be cool. And I like your search bar suggestions, I hope they get implemented.

Last edited:
The ability to combine IR search criteria, both AND and OR, would be super useful, like this: (YA or OH or ML) and (1x12 or 2x12) and (121 or 160 or mix).

But it has to be flexible enough to be workable with different makers' existing naming conventions. Industry consensus around IR metadata is a non-starter, not to mention all the existing libraries out there that don't have it, and bulk renaming hundreds or thousands of IRs just to use them in this one of your devices is too. Real world example: One maker's 1x12 is another's 112.

All these parentheses and Boolean operators seem pretty doable in the editor. They're a lot less so on the front panel. Entering filters like that would be super tedious and annoying. (Just to say it, the ability to plug a USB keyboard directly into the unit would help this and various naming functions a lot, but it's unlikely.) Doesn't mean it shouldn't happen in the editor, but it's a real issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom