I wigged :-)

Todde3000

I really didn’t use my III that much except for the killer bass preset I recently made (posted in another thread in this forum) and some home use. I made couple of presets with amps and effects I like and just played around a bit at home in living room levels.

In order to promote the sale of a really nice Strat of mine (RealGuitars Custom Build in Firemist Gold) I asked my buddy Tony (a very active member in this forum, but still on the AXE-FX II) to help me shoot a video of the guitar (he’s made many, many videos showing the exceptional quality of the AXE FX-II), so that I could post a YouTube link in my local ad.

So, we took my III to Tony’s rehearsal room, hooked it up to both of the Matrix Q12a FR FR speakers and I had a go at the presets that I had programmed and cranked the volume up to a considerable gigging volume.

I have to say – AWESOME – no further dialing in required – I got great blues and rock tones, that you could vary from clean to mean on the volume of the guitar, with an Atomic, a JVM and a Friedman amp coupled with assorted stock cabs that I fancy. I was really happy !!

Then, out of curiosity, I started going through the presets, to see what they sound like. So, first preset, the 59 Bassman, I cranked a couple of chords through all four scenes and the tone(s) just blew me away. I could actually use just that preset and gig with it. No further tweaking or dialing in. Period. Then the Plexis, then the other Fenders and then ... and then ... wow !!

Ok, there were presets that I thought were just dull and I didn’t like, but I’m sure that they were all excellent, they just didn’t float my boat, so no problem.

AND THEN Tony pointed me to the “Boutique” preset – and that’s where I totally wigged :) I seriously never had a better amp tone than with that preset cranked up on the (output) volume and going through the various switch positions of the guitar. Again, no tweaking or dialing in. I just love it, when things work the way they should right out of the box !

So, to sum up things:
  • I’m keeping that darn guitar !! The AXE-FX III made me realize just how good that guitar sounds (these German handmade Kloppmann pickups are hard to beat …) !
  • Don’t be afraid of all the options the AXE FX III offers. Sure, you can tweak yourself to death, but you really don’t need to, in order to obtain a seriously good tone that you like. After my experience, I’m pretty sure that anyone can find a preset (and probably many more …) that he or she loves and that will work right out of the box and deliver total joy !
  • Tweak yourself to death, if you want to ! :cool: You can’t break anything and it’s fun and quality time spent with your hobby and a cool gadget !
  • I had a great time and really enjoyed my sloppy playing that day ! Thank you Tony !

Cheers, Todde

Dude I did the same thing with my custom 24, some days I loved it with the amps I was using and other days I didn’t like it, then I got the axe and now we are inseparable lol

Back
Top Bottom