I was good with the II but now not so good

I used to have lots of patches that i really liked on my II but since switching to the III have not had much luck nailing my favorite tones. I had a nice one for modern metal using the FAS MODERN, with the METAL 4x12, and the Super OD-1 in front, but now when i try the same settings it sounds thin and not enough gain. if i add gain, it gets mushy. I must be doing something wrong. Can someone try my patch and see if they can spot my mistake?

I have two lines, one is the sound, the other is for reamp, you can ignore that one.
I know some use a lot of multiband comp or some other tricks but I used to get good sound just using noise gate, stomp, amp cab.
My FAS MODERN attempt was horrible, i seem to be having a bit more luck with the Das Metal model now. Funny, i used to hate it on the II, it was too fuzzy.

I included the METAL 4x12, without it, my patch will not work. I cant remember if i had to convert it to get it into the III . I dont think so. Someone correct me if im wrong. The Cabinet RULES!! BTW

Attachments

• DasPreset.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 14
  • METAL 4x12.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
There's no right or wrong I suppose - it's just a matter of taste. I personally think that having a SuperOD drive, input drive and bright switch turned on on the hot amp like this one might not be a good combo with certain settings. Also I don't think that the compressor and gates are doing too much good for the sound of this preset. I tweaked the amp and SuperOD a bit, also turned off compressors/gates. To my taste you had a lot going on in that cab block. This is very nice IR - thanks very much for it, a keeper. I don't think you need anything else in the cab block - maybe some level in the room/air tab but i placed a reverb instead. Also added MBC a-la Andy Sneap and based on Leon Todd vids - turn it on if you feel like it is bringing anything to the table.

Anyways, hope you may find the preset i attach here somewhat useful.

Regards

Attachments

• DasPreset.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 25
Thank you for looking at my overly bright, grainy patch. ROFL. WOW, You really did improve it quite a bit. It actually sounds like the tone i used to get on my II with the FAS MODERN amp model. I will have to open both to see what changes you made. i think its the best way for me to learn, by slowly adding and taking away what you did, i can maybe get a better sense of what to do on any patch on the III.
Yes. My favorite cabinet was the METAL4x12. It is i believe the same cab impulse MESHUGGAH used live for years. It was originally from the AXE 1 now that i think of it. I had it converted for the II. then for the III. It has this crunch midrange to it that just WORKS. No flab at all in the lows.
I ended up using it on 3 different albums for 3 different bands i played for. Just used different amp models running through it. I believe the original cab was an ENGL 4x12. If you like that cab, i prob have a few more Jems i can share. I just want to thank you for your help. So many of my new sounds are thin so i gotta see what you did here to make it more Ampy. ;) I am really struggling with the III. I keep doing too much and end up washing out the patches. I have to keep things simple as you said. Must fight the temptation to add too many things to a patch. Some of the best sounds are just gate/stomp/amp/cab. I cant even figure out how to properly set levels with this thing. I want to use it live but am afraid unless i learn how to set it up, i will blow PAs and piss off a lot of live sound guys.
Thank you again. and if you are in the market for any more rare, cabs, i do have a few cards up my sleeve.
If you can, explain how you went about fixing my patch, i would be interested in your methods.
Cheers,
Phantom.

I'm glad you like it dude, I tried to keep as much as I could the same as you had it, and just methodically go through and undo things I know weren't necessary or that I knew were messing it up.

It's not complicated at all, I've got it down to a 12 step program, I'm actually taking off work for a week this next week so I'm going to try to make a video or something that explains a shatteredsquare preset repair diagnostic, and how to start from scratch and never have tone troubles again.

It's not complicated at all, I've got it down to a 12 step program, I'm actually taking off work for a week this next week so I'm going to try to make a video or something that explains a shatteredsquare preset repair diagnostic, and how to start from scratch and never have tone troubles again.
I’m looking forward to your 12 step program!

I'd be interested in hearing these tones in the context of a band. All my experience gained using FAS gear over the last decade has me betting money on the first tone being more useful in a scenario where you're trying to find your niche in a busy spectrum crowded with drums, bass and vocals.

The second tone certainly sounds less shrill, solo'ed. But it's that hair that helps you cut through everything else.

the crappier the tone the better the cut, just go straight into the pa with a metal zone for the most cut. If you were playing with Ministry, cut would be helpful, but if you were playing with Opeth or Karnivool who's sound guy is not drooling on himself, you wouldn't need to cut through anything, u would have a s p a c e to fit in.

I too am looking forward to the 12 step program. God knows I need help.
Here is a song i did with my Axe II. It is all FAS MODERN for the Heavy patches and lead tones. I was testing pickups to see which set i would keep. in case you ever wondered Dimarzio Titans Vs, Seymour Duncan Alpha/Omega, the stats are below.
Yes, i seem to make patches kinda bright, but like iaresee pointed out, when the mix gets layered and busy, some cut in the lows to leave room for Bass may help.
These are the kind of tones I cant seem to get anymore on the Axe III. So Complicated now I get lost in an ocean of choices.

Intro Guitars are EMG 81 both sides and melody swells
Solos in order:
Dimarzio Titan Bridge
Seymour Duncan Alpha Neck
Dimarzio Titan Bridge
Seymour Duncan Omega Bridge
Harmonys Omega Bridge Left/ Titan Bridge Right
Dimarzio Titan Bridge
Harmonys Omega Bridge Left/ Titan Bridge Right
Seymour Duncan Omega Bridge
Dimarzio Titan Bridge
Seymour Duncan Alpha Neck
EMG81 Closing Cleans

the original patch had air level at like 50%, do you always use that much air? It's basically like taking a load box feed without an IR on it, it helps cut through 8 layers of guitars but it's kind of making up for the high end you could have naturally if the IR was tuned.

when trying my patch, i still hear this high pitched ring in the background. i think that's why i used the noise gates. gotta figure out what's causing it. its more prominent in the unfixed one, but still there in the fixed version. If anyone likes my patches from the song i can upload them. it was FAS MODERN.

when trying my patch, i still hear this high pitched ring in the background. i think that's why i used the noise gates. gotta figure out what's causing it. its more prominent in the unfixed one, but still there in the fixed version. If anyone likes my patches from the song i can upload them. it was FAS MODERN.
I would switch your input noise gate to classic and that should get rid of that noise you are hearing.

The 12 Step Program...I had it all dialed in based on an old cab room algorithm at low size, it was making literally the crapiest IR completely usable. Now it's a 3 step program.

1. Knobs at noon, master off.
2. Walk master up to "feels right" preference
3. Spin knobs to "sounds right" preference

Back
Top Bottom