I want to use Pitch block full-time, but...

Ugly Bunny

Power User
...can anyone confirm what the block is doing to the tone if there's NO pitch adjustment, but the block is still on? Essentially, I wish to have the block on all the time and use buttons on my FC6 to adjust the pitch when I need it.

It's not unreasonable to just set it up and have a footswitch turn it on and off, and then maybe cycle through the channels to get the various pitches I need, but even this would be extra tap dancing (how lazy we've gotten as guitarists lol!!).

So yeah; on all the time for every scene, adjust the pitch as needed for various songs. Is it affecting the tone at all with no pitch shifting? I want to say no, but I don't know if that's true. Might've been a bug, but after leaving the Axe on all night, I think I felt about a 10-15ms latency when the shift was set to zero. Turned it off and back on and I'm pretty sure it was gone, but now I'm skeptical.

Use channel select switches on the FC with smart bypass. If the block is off, changing to the channel will turn it on. If the block is on, pressing the same channel button again will turn the block off.

I'm not sure how I'd accomplish that given that I'd have several different tunings (I think I'd need 3 channels for the 3 tunings). So it'd be off, and I'd need to scroll to channel C, then...what? I'd hit the same button again that scrolls through the effect's channels and it'd turn off? I'll look into smart bypass to get a better handle on it. Thanks!

I'm not sure how I'd accomplish that given that I'd have several different tunings (I think I'd need 3 channels for the 3 tunings). So it'd be off, and I'd need to scroll to channel C, then...what? I'd hit the same button again that scrolls through the effect's channels and it'd turn off? I'll look into smart bypass to get a better handle on it. Thanks!
How were you going to change the tunings?

How were you going to change the tunings?
That was my question, as well :D

Anyway, I think I figured it out, thanks to your advice about Smart Bypass. What I've done is added my little MXR Tap Tempo pedal (secured it to the top of the FC6) and made it activate a switch on Layout 8 (my utility layout) that switches Views. Then, in View 2, I have a couple switches set up to the Pitch block channel select using Smart Bypass to enable me to swap views, apply my Virtual Capo, then jump back to my main Layout.

I'm still in awe of how this damn system can do almost everything I imagine and then some! I never thought I'd have a usable pitch block, either, so I'm basically a pig in shi* right now :D

Thanks for the tip about Smart Bypass.

Mix at 0% would be like bypassing the block.

I don't think the tone would change if you had mix at 100% and a pitch voice at 0 shift, but it does add latency.
Yeah, I thought I felt some latency but I wasn't sure if it was just in my mind or not (never mind the fact that all experience is in the mind) :)

Anyone else hearing a lot of overtones when using the virtual capo -1 or -2? When I play back the recording, it sounds good, but monitoring the recording is tough, almost have to turn it way down and just play the part without hearing the guitar.

...sorry to hi jack this thread

...can anyone confirm what the block is doing to the tone if there's NO pitch adjustment, but the block is still on? Essentially, I wish to have the block on all the time and use buttons on my FC6 to adjust the pitch when I need it.

It's not unreasonable to just set it up and have a footswitch turn it on and off, and then maybe cycle through the channels to get the various pitches I need, but even this would be extra tap dancing (how lazy we've gotten as guitarists lol!!).

So yeah; on all the time for every scene, adjust the pitch as needed for various songs. Is it affecting the tone at all with no pitch shifting? I want to say no, but I don't know if that's true. Might've been a bug, but after leaving the Axe on all night, I think I felt about a 10-15ms latency when the shift was set to zero. Turned it off and back on and I'm pretty sure it was gone, but now I'm skeptical.

That's a good question and I've wondered the same thing. I did a quick check and I believe the answer depends on the pitch block type. With the whammy, there is still latency when the shift is zero. That makes sense. You don't want a glitch when you sweep down to zero due to the latency going away. But for virtual capo, the latency does seem to disappear. That again makes sense since there's no point to doing any processing in that situation.

Anyone else hearing a lot of overtones when using the virtual capo -1 or -2? When I play back the recording, it sounds good, but monitoring the recording is tough, almost have to turn it way down and just play the part without hearing the guitar.

Yeah, man; I have to have the guitar volume way up. What you're hearing is your guitar acoustically against the pitch-changed tone and that can fry your brain :)

why is bypass or mix 0 not an option?
The problem is that there isn't an easy way to both swap the mix AND the pitch with one tap. Yeah, if mix were zero it'd be no issue, but then when I wanted to adjust pitch, I'd need to also adjust mix (could put mix on a Performance block, I suppose... but that's a whole other set of issues - but it'd still be easier to quickly dial a knob on the Axe that pull out a capo).

You're hearing the acoustic sound of your guitar... Turn up louder or use headphones.

Back
Top Bottom