I want to try my AxeFXIII with my Mesas and Torpedo Reload as attenuator, still get stereo into interface

David Tesch

Inspired
The headline gives the idea...

I bought my AxeFXIII and a Torpedo Reload at the same time, wanting to give myself options. I am enjoying the Fractal and have yet to even turn on the Torpedo 4 months later. I would at least like to try it with my old MarkIII blue stripe, but I want to use the AxeFX for my delay/reverb etc and keep it stereo, which means I come out of the Fractal lastly either into my interface LR or use it as the interface, doesn't matter which. I just want to satisfy my curiosity on this. So it looks like I would be coming out the power amp/speaker line from the Mesa with nothing in the effects loop , soaking the power in the Reload, coming out the Reload into input 3 and then hit the FX and go stereo out... if that sounds bad tell me. Glaring difference to me is the FX are coming after the Mesa power amp instead of loop, but the Reload has no stereo out.

That sounds correct to me.

You may wish to configure input 3 as mono (L only). Otherwise, you will only get signal out of your left monitor (assuming you are monitoring in stereo).

That sounds correct to me.

You may wish to configure input 3 as mono (L only). Otherwise, you will only get signal out of your left monitor (assuming you are monitoring in stereo).
Well I finally got around to doing this, I ran the Mark V into the input 2L and through a Cab block and loaded the same IRs I was using on recent song, recorded the same track again, let the family listen... no one can tell the difference. I think if someone snuck and replaced the amp with the AxeFx AMp block with the same volume etc, if you didn't know they did it you would never notice the difference in sound or feel. Can I tell? Yeah a teeny bit, mostly was the wave form dynamics but I didn't try very hard to make them similar.

I'll tell you one thing, I doubt I will ever mic a guitar cabinet again. I plan on doing a test song with All three, AxeFX Mark V and Mark III, just for funsies. As far as the effects go, I got LR but it wasn't stereo, I do need to switch the input 2L to mono I think that will fix it... by the time I got everything hooked up it was super late.

Well I finally got around to doing this, I ran the Mark V into the input 2L and through a Cab block and loaded the same IRs I was using on recent song, recorded the same track again, let the family listen... no one can tell the difference. I think if someone snuck and replaced the amp with the AxeFx AMp block with the same volume etc, if you didn't know they did it you would never notice the difference in sound or feel. Can I tell? Yeah a teeny bit, mostly was the wave form dynamics but I didn't try very hard to make them similar.

I'll tell you one thing, I doubt I will ever mic a guitar cabinet again. I plan on doing a test song with All three, AxeFX Mark V and Mark III, just for funsies. As far as the effects go, I got LR but it wasn't stereo, I do need to switch the input 2L to mono I think that will fix it... by the time I got everything hooked up it was super late.
My findings have been the same. What I tend to do when I write my own patches is leave input 2 going straight to the cab block. Input 2 is my Captor X loadbox which I take a line out to the fractal. Amp to amp, I hear either very little to no difference when using the same IR and I really cant get better results micing my own amps than I can get with IRS soooooo. I do like having the dozen or so guitar amps I own, but they’re really obsolete in terms of recording. Fun, yes. Necessary for those tones? No.

My findings have been the same. What I tend to do when I write my own patches is leave input 2 going straight to the cab block. Input 2 is my Captor X loadbox which I take a line out to the fractal. Amp to amp, I hear either very little to no difference when using the same IR and I really cant get better results micing my own amps than I can get with IRS soooooo. I do like having the dozen or so guitar amps I own, but they’re really obsolete in terms of recording. Fun, yes. Necessary for those tones? No.
Yeah that's exactly what I did... worked great. I got the YA Mesa packs, traditional and oversized, so I have no desire to try to make my own IRs of my recto cabs, I think that's been covered LOL. I do have the older MarkIII-MarkIV cab with open back and metal grill, I really prefer it for lead sounds. I may make a few IR's of that, but the cab IR I feel hits that closest is the 4x12 USA BK Shadow 4400 D2a VH, it has that same open feel.

Yeah that's exactly what I did... worked great. I got the YA Mesa packs, traditional and oversized, so I have no desire to try to make my own IRs of my recto cabs, I think that's been covered LOL. I do have the older MarkIII-MarkIV cab with open back and metal grill, I really prefer it for lead sounds. I may make a few IR's of that, but the cab IR I feel hits that closest is the 4x12 USA BK Shadow 4400 D2a VH, it has that same open feel.
I’m definitely never going to beat the IR library I have making my own. Sure I can cook my own steak, but I’d rather go to Ruths Chris

I’m definitely never going to beat the IR library I have making my own. Sure I can cook my own steak, but I’d rather go to Ruths Chris
Well, I've always known that my favorite was obviously part of an aftermarket pack, but I've only owned my AxeFXIII a few months and was trying to pay it off before buying anything else... a few minutes ago I installed the Valahalla pack that it comes from. I think 494 IRs probably has it covered.

Back
Top Bottom