I want to play along with recorded music

bulgmaf

Inspired
Does anyone know how to set up the original Axe FX II (not one of the later generation units) so I can play along with songs from my iPhone? I tried to read the manual and it is not clear to me. Would I cable from the iPhone to one of the input jack on the back of the Axe II? Would I have to change any settings on the Axe II to allow the setup to work?

I'm just looking for a very simple way to play along with some of my music.

Thanks

If you don't care about playing in stereo, the easiest thing to do is buy a cheapy line mixer like this one (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/behringer-micromix-mx400-4-channel-line-mixer) and plug both your iPhone and the Axe output into 2 of the mixer inputs and then the output of the mixer to your monitors. To adapt the 1/8" iPhone audio output to the 1/4" mixer input, you will need either a 1/8" Mono to 1/4" Mono cable, or an adaptor. Easy Peasey.

Probably could use this on input 2 from the headphone out. Adapter

Looks like a good cable. Would I run it into the L and R inputs on the back of the Axe? Would there be any tweaks I'd have to make so that all the inputs (instrument on the front panel as well as the back panel inputs) were all active at the same time?

Looks like a good cable. Would I run it into the L and R inputs on the back of the Axe? Would there be any tweaks I'd have to make so that all the inputs (instrument on the front panel as well as the back panel inputs) were all active at the same time?
Take that adaptor that DavezHear link, plug your iPhone on the 1/8" jack side and the two 1/4" jack into Input 2 Left and Right on the back of the Axe Fx. That takes care of the physical connections you need to make.

To hear your iPhone, go to the grid layout and place an Effects Return block on a separate row and connect some shunts all the way to the Output on the right. The Return block bring in audio plugged into Input 2.

To hear your iPhone, go to the grid layout and place an Effects Return block on a separate row and connect some shunts all the way to the Output on the right. The Return block bring in audio plugged into Input 2.
FX Loop block.

Take that adaptor that DavezHear link, plug your iPhone on the 1/8" jack side and the two 1/4" jack into Input 2 Left and Right on the back of the Axe Fx. That takes care of the physical connections you need to make.

Thanks! I'll give that a shot. Would I have to do that with each preset, or can I do it once and have it work for all presets?

Put the FX Loop block in the last column in its own row on all presets you want to use Input 2.

if your music is on your iphone its on your itunes account, right? just run itunes and play the music. Be sure to adjust USB volume level accordingly and make sure your Axe is the sound device. I've been playing to my sound file libraries and youtube, etc through my Mk II since day 1 and have never needed to connect my phone with a cable or add FX loop blocks or anything like that.

TLDR read what Maester Yek posted.

Just curious because maybe I'm missing something here. What is the purpose of playing music "through" the AxeFx? I've always simply connected my iPhone straight to my monitors if I want to play along with some music and my guitar to the AxeFx and FRFR cab. School me.

Just curious because maybe I'm missing something here. What is the purpose of playing music "through" the AxeFx? I've always simply connected my iPhone straight to my monitors if I want to play along with some music and my guitar to the AxeFx and FRFR cab. School me.
For example when you're trying to figure out a guitar part, it's much easier if your guitar and the tracks are going into a set of headphones. That's my reasoning anyway.

Yes slinkly005 is correct. My setup is very basic. Guitar input into Axe FX II, headphones out. Want to have a way of playing along with my music. Don't have a mixing board or monitors. Although I do like the mini mixing board that Moke posted from Adorama. But I think Yek's link to the Wiki is the way I'll go (no additional cost). The Wiki instructions are much clearer than the manual, not to mention simpler. Thanks to all for the ideas and replies.

Put an fx block in a separate row and connect it to the out put. Then get a cable that is 1/8 stereo on one side and 2 mono 1/4 on the other. Connect the 1/4s to input 2 on the back and the 1/8 to iPhone or whatever. Then go to the output mixer and mix that row until you get the volume that works with your guitar signal. This gives you stereo sound and complete control of everything.

Back
Top Bottom