I Want to dive bomb....

Jimmytwotimes

Experienced
So I'm looking for a "metal" kind of guitar. I don't want to spend more than $1500. I would like a neck through ( unless there isn't much if any tonal/sustain difference between a non neck through model), 22 or 24 frets- preferably stainless steel, 6 string, very good stock pick ups- I typically don't like to mess with them if I don't have to, floyd rose ( or equivalent ). I really would prefer a wood/flame top over a solid color.
Some of the brands I'm looking at - Ibanez, Jackson, Schecter, ESP. Open to other suggestions.
Looking for some advice on, and your experiences and maybe things I should specifically look for when finding a guitar for hard rock/metal.
I already own all the usual suspects - strat, tele, les paul, custom 24.
Any advice would be great - thanks !
\m/

My first choice would be...

RG6PCMLTD -- $1400
Edge II Trem, DiMarzio pups, 11-pc neck
RG6PCMLTD_SRG_1P_01.png

or maybe you want angrrrrrrrrry, dark, metal feel...

RGIR30BE -- $720
EMG pups, Edge II Trem.
RGIR30BE_BKF_1P_01.png

Since you want SS frets you might look for a slightly used Carvin. Not a big fan of them myself (I've owned a few over the years) but you'd find one with everything you're looking for and the prices on used Carvin guitars are really good (low)

Kiesel (formerly Carvin)

A DC600 starts at $999.

I did a quick build on their online builder. Configured a DC600 for $1159 for all standard options, plus add-on options of Floyd, 25.5 scale (no charge), jet black (no charge, all the standard colors are no charge), stainless frets, soft case (they don't ship without purchase of a hard or soft case, but the soft case is bitchin).

Some people love the stock Lithium pickups, some hate em. I have their Allan Holdsworth pickup, which I love (and amusingly does Iron Maiden just fine).

It's better to call your order in than use the website. You can get almost any option you can imagine--woods, finishes, headstocks, how many pieces for neck, radius, profile, gender of your next child...

There are some Schecters that fit most of your requirements like the Banshee Elite. I love my KM6 MKII and KM7 MKII, but those don't have Floyds except for the "Lamborghini" models with Sustaniacs and I think those only come in the seven string variety.

I hear good things about EVH guitars too. It might be handy to have a built-in D-Tuna since changing tunings with a Floyd is a pain in the ass.

There are some Schecters that fit most of your requirements like the Banshee Elite. I
That's a nice looking guitar too... I really like the offset edge dot inlays and 1500 Floyd.
banshee-elite-6-fr-s-gnat-tilt8.png

I hear good things about EVH guitars too. It might be handy to have a built-in D-Tuna since changing tunings with a Floyd is a pain in the ass.
The EVH is half-blocked setup to dive-only, whereas the IBZ and Schecter are set up to float.

I love floating bridges the most when I'm playing a half-blocked Floyd.
I love the half-blocked Floyd better when I'm playing a floating trem... ;)

I have a Jem 7DBK in great shape that you can have for $1,000. For $200 you can go to GC and drop in some Evolution pick-ups, and you will have the best metal guitar there is. With the remaining $300 you can go to your nearest strip joint and make it rain...

hmmm- these are all good things to consider - didn't think much about the d tuna - but I am now ....not sure how I didn't see that banshee before - also looks like nice guitar too....at least I have some great suggestions - now I just have to find someplace to play them all!
the GC by me doesn't seem to carry anything above $1000 in the store any more...

Back
Top Bottom