I use studio monitors all the time

But did you notice that the topic speaker looks like a monkey?
Yes. I always take a step backward when I see speakers that look outlandish. The first thing that comes to mind is gimmicks aimed at audiophiles. (“Our engineers have developed a brilliant new device to take your listening to the next level: Monkey Ear (TM) Sonic diffusers.”). Caveat: I have no experience with these speakers and no idea what they actually sound like.

Whenever I come across that Barefoot model, I can't get past how dumb those dual mid drivers are... lobing in the vertical, lobing in the horizontal, why?

Whenever I come across that Barefoot model, I can't get past how dumb those dual mid drivers are... lobing in the vertical, lobing in the horizontal, why?

Shouldn’t these mid drivers work like a line array of sorts in this setup?

Shouldn’t these mid drivers work like a line array of sorts in this setup?
I don't see why one would want a two mid driver "line array of sorts," what application that would benefit, etc. Just looks like a "looks cool man" design.

I don't see why one would want a two mid driver "line array of sorts," what application that would benefit, etc. Just looks like a "looks cool man" design.

For vertically mounted mastering monitors - the same purpose as line arrays, I would guess?

For horizontally mounted near fields - I have no clue.

Sometimes it's like art. Doesn't really make sense but if the price tag is high enough, somehow it must be good.

For vertically mounted mastering monitors - the same purpose as line arrays, I would guess?
What purpose is that? The product is like a mid/far field indoor mastering monitor, what benefit is a real line array for that (unless it's something like a CBT line array), let alone a two mid woofer type of deal? It narrows the vertical directivitiy of the mids only, creates off-axis irregularities, what benefit is that? I don't see it.

Purely guessing, but perhaps to more closely match the dispersion characteristics of the mid & high drivers.
Thanks
Pauly

What purpose is that? The product is like a mid/far field indoor mastering monitor, what benefit is a real line array for that (unless it's something like a CBT line array), let alone a two mid woofer type of deal? It narrows the vertical directivitiy of the mids only, creates off-axis irregularities, what benefit is that? I don't see it.

I’m a big Adam fan. I don’t think they make them any more, but you can still find S1Xs in stock some places. Big upgrade from the A7X imo. It has an inch smaller woofer but 100 more watts of power. Even if you don’t need the extra power I find it makes a big difference at lower volumes. The reason I bring it up is I was able to find a set for the same price as the A7Xs, and they normally cost the same PER monitor as the A7Xs. Well worth it for me—as happy as I’ve ever been with gear.

I bought a pair of HS8’s when my Axe 3 arrived. Going into the FX return of my Mark v:25 just doesn’t have the clarity and stereo I get out of monitors.

I feel like I’m playing on an album with monitors, which takes getting used to and some fishing for the right IR combos, but it feels hi-def.
I have HS8's as well on my Axe FX III...just love them!

I was wondering the same thing. Line arrays are great when you have to throw significant SPL deep into a room. But they’re a compromise over a more point-source system, especially when they’re that big with that many drivers and confined to the space in a control room.

Digging a little deeper into the Barefoot speakers, I found this:

upload_2019-3-13_0-11-33.png upload_2019-3-13_0-12-7.png

Identical speakers with identical specs. The only difference is the handles. They'll put handles on the speakers if you pay them an extra $2500.

Back
Top Bottom