I use studio monitors all the time

i definitely have heard the difference with a real amp when trying those expensive power cables and the regular ones.

whether i need that difference is another thing, and i feel i don't.

In my opinion, and as I have witnessed, new speakers are physically 'tight' - IE; the suspension (around the outside of the woofer, and the spider(s) which support the voice coil) may be stiff out of the box which does affect the sound. After some use, they 'loosen' to their 'normal' parameters and therefore sound as designed. This indicates they may not sound 'as designed' when new, until run in.
This has always made perfect sense to me - If I was designing a speaker, I'd certainly be using the 'nominal' characteristics of the drivers in my calculations, and not the characteristics of 'brand new' drivers - Otherwise the speaker would sound as i designed it only when new, and degrade from there.
Anyway - My opinion only
Thanks
Pauly

We witnessed speaker break-in first-hand when shooting IRs. We bought a brand-new 5150 III cabinet. Went to shoot some IRs and they sounded terrible. So I put the synth block on and ran the speaker for several hours while we were doing other stuff. Came back and shot some IRs and they were much better sounding.

But this is all about guitar speakers though, not monitors, right?

Break-in is definitely real with guitar speakers. The surround is stiff when new due to the doping.

I don’t think monitors and hifi speakers exhibit any significant break-in.
Just found out that a typical guitar speaker's paper cone extends out to and makes up the surround, which is then doped. Didn't know that, the surround is indeed very different than a PA type speaker.

i definitely have heard the difference with a real amp when trying those expensive power cables and the regular ones.

whether i need that difference is another thing, and i feel i don't.
Yep. See, THAT should be where the argument is - not whether there's a difference or not in tone. I guess that's what always got my goat is to have internet strangers telling me what I was hearing and providing engineering theories as to why it was impossible that any two cables could possibly be at all different. Now, I don't know about those $35k speaker cables, but that doesn't mean they aren't amazing. But yeah - like you said - whether I need that difference, especially at that price, is another thing.

I bought a pair of HS8’s when my Axe 3 arrived. Going into the FX return of my Mark v:25 just doesn’t have the clarity and stereo I get out of monitors.

I feel like I’m playing on an album with monitors, which takes getting used to and some fishing for the right IR combos, but it feels hi-def.

Yep. See, THAT should be where the argument is - not whether there's a difference or not in tone. I guess that's what always got my goat is to have internet strangers telling me what I was hearing and providing engineering theories as to why it was impossible that any two cables could possibly be at all different. Now, I don't know about those $35k speaker cables, but that doesn't mean they aren't amazing. But yeah - like you said - whether I need that difference, especially at that price, is another thing.
i apply the same concept to almost everything i do in music or gear.

we can argue all we want. the main idea is does it have some value to you? and if it does, that doesn't mean it has value to me. and if it doesn't have value to me, that doesn't make me a worse musician or incapable of discerning things compared to you.

^^^ that is where most arguments sort of sit, and it's such a waste of time. it usually then goes to "you need to buy the most expensive thing possible" as well, which turns off so many new users.

listen. read some comments from others sure. but decide for yourself. then play.

pair of KRK VXT 6s here 180 watts RMS each. Running the AFIII through them in a nearfield setup.
more than enough for my needs.

I just looked at the specs for these. Yikes. They consume 100 watts at idle. And I don't want to be anywhere near a tweeter that's being fed 250 watts. I think they're confusing near-field listening with a Disaster Area concert. :eek:

Those are not nearfield, they are made for mastering, I think.

I just looked at the specs for these. Yikes. They consume 100 watts at idle. And I don't want to be anywhere near a tweeter that's being fed 250 watts. I think they're confusing near-field listening with a Disaster Area concert. :eek:

But did you notice that the topic speaker looks like a monkey?

Reactions: Rex
Back
Top Bottom