I Thought The "Tourette's Tuner" Was To Be Fixed In 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
the tuner seems to work fine for me..
guitars tuned concert, Eb standard, D standard and concert tuned 7 string

all no probs...

I actually really like this tuner
totally love the 'pool ball'

questions [genuinely not meant to be offensive] for the folks that are struggling:

are you picking the string real hard?
cos initially the string will always be a little sharp and then it'll stablise
the harder you pick, the further the string will initially sharpen
picking strength should be 'moderate / possitive' but not firm / strong

are you picking the string too often?
so the string has not yet stablised

is your intonation set up correcly / accurately?

are all other strings muted?
you must try to avoid letting them sound <-- bit obvious but I thought I'd say it anyhow..

is your action very very low?
a little fret buz may well be upsetting things

are your pups very powerful / very close to the strings?
excessive magnetism and make the strings 'pump'
note that some pups have individually setable pole pieces [so this effect can be stronger on some strings and not others]

I pick the string...
I see the tuner initially go a little wild / slightly sharp, and then after 1s to 2s it settles and is rock solid until the note fades away..
no probs... love it..

Last edited:
is your intonation set up correcly / accurately?
I wouldn't think that should matter when tuning an open string?

I would add:
- do you keep your hand on a floating bridge?
- do you hold your hand onto the tuners? (you shouldn't, you might be surprised)
- how "fresh" are your strings? Strings that are worn in can not give a consistent ring, I would guess.

Last edited:
Ok, here is my video demonstrating the issue with the B string, and to a lesser extent, the high E string. First I demo the stable tuning for the low E to G strings, then the jitter with the B and high E strings. This video was done with a Les Paul, but as I mentioned previously I get the same behavior with a Strat and a Tyler Variax. Prior to 6.0, I did not have this behavior.

Here's hoping this video can help fix these issues. I would love the tuner to lock in on the B & high E strings the way it does for the low E - G strings and the way my Polytune pedal locks on to all strings.

I haven't used the Axe's tuner much, so I'm not really commenting on that, but some general guidelines for tuner use would be:

Mute all other strings with your left hand. Pick reasonably light with your finger downwards so that it ends up resting on the next string. The goal is to get a strong fundamental, and as little harmonics as possible. E.g. using a thin/sharp pick will trigger loads of harmonics that may confuse the tuner.

Just tried this now. My Ultra is working with no issues with the same guitars. Same with TU-2. Have not tried the polytune yet. Is the tuner in AXII to sensitive?

AXII and MFC not showing the same too... Are there only a few of us that experience this?

Strange that some of us got issues and other not. I have high end gear, that gets regular attention. The guitars are intonated.

EDIT: I´played for 25 years. So i know how to tune a guitar ;)

Last edited:
I think the problem is the relatively weak signal coming from the guitar (in the video you can see it is roughly about -60 dB). This is due to the low input gain. If you use just one guitar then you can adjust it to tickle the red (and you will have no problem with the tuner). If you use several guitars with different outputs you will have to tickle red with your hottest one (again no problem with the tuner) and the other ones will deliver much less input signal (which IMHO is the reason that leads to the tuner getting Tourette's syndrom for these guitars).

Ok, here is my video demonstrating the issue with the B string, and to a lesser extent, the high E string. First I demo the stable tuning for the low E to G strings, then the jitter with the B and high E strings. This video was done with a Les Paul, but as I mentioned previously I get the same behavior with a Strat and a Tyler Variax. Prior to 6.0, I did not have this behavior.

Here's hoping this video can help fix these issues. I would love the tuner to lock in on the B & high E strings the way it does for the low E - G strings and the way my Polytune pedal locks on to all strings.

This is pretty much exactly what happens to my high E & B strings. Just like this video shows, my other four strings behave exactly as they should.

None of this happens when I use my Polytuner, korg, or any other tuner except for the Axe-II tuner since V6.0

This is pretty much exactly what happens to my high E & B strings. Just like this video shows, my other four strings behave exactly as they should.

None of this happens when I use my Polytuner, korg, or any other tuner except for the Axe-II tuner since V6.0

Same here. And my Ultra works fine to.

I think the problem is the relatively weak signal coming from the guitar (in the video you can see it is roughly about -60 dB). This is due to the low input gain. If you use just one guitar then you can adjust it to tickle the red (and you will have no problem with the tuner). If you use several guitars with different outputs you will have to tickle red with your hottest one (again no problem with the tuner) and the other ones will deliver much less input signal (which IMHO is the reason that leads to the tuner getting Tourette's syndrom for these guitars).

It doesn't matter. That is, I did play with adjusting the input level - all the way up to 100% even and it did not improve the tuning stability. So I just put it back the way I had it (i.e tickle the red as documented in the manual).

I wouldn't think that should matter when tuning an open string?

I would add:
- do you keep your hand on a floating bridge?
- do you hold your hand onto the tuners? (you shouldn't, you might be surprised)
- how "fresh" are your strings? Strings that are worn in can not give a consistent ring, I would guess.

I tend to tune with open string, and then check with harmonics on the 12th and fretted notes on the 2nd fret
I try to tune to the best average

it'd be cool if we could hear the audio with that

I don't suffer with that skipping around
plus when I play my 1st and 2nd strings, I have 2 green LEDs lit [don't know if that makes a difference]

I have the same issue. I get around it using the 12th harmonic and using the Axe display. That works fine. I could not use the MFC very reliably.

What's shown here for the B string is exactly what I see (and I only see it on the B). I use bridge pick up of a strat... I havent tried using others... It's never been a big issue for me I just use another tuner.

I have said this before the axe2 tuner is hopeless compared to my Korg DTR but i suspect this is somehoe due to the signal power.

My guitar runs through the DTR before going into the axe.

I'm also having the same issues as shown above with the high b and e. Low strings work fine for me (down to low A on a 7 string). I'm experiencing this with all my guitars regardless of the electronics (EMGs, medium output passive humbuckers, high output passive humbuckers).

I have the issue on pretty much every string. I work around it. I also pretty much exclusively tune on MFC. It would be great if it could stop doing that

What's shown here for the B string is exactly what I see (and I only see it on the B). I use bridge pick up of a strat... I havent tried using others... It's never been a big issue for me I just use another tuner.

Yes, that is exactly what he high b does for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom