I think the AXE FX 3 is getting noticeably better (and it was always excellent before)

Lkdog

Power User
Been a longtime FAS user since the first AXE FX. Been a member here for 13 years it appears. LOL.
Have had all of the various units through the years here, and always thought they were excellent overall. No complaints.
Often, I have to admit I haven't heard any major differences in most of the FWs. As noted, though, have had no complaints.

I do have to say that the recent FW updates have provided an element of realism and true tube amp character that is noticeably better IMO.
I have gravitated toward lower gain, edge of breakup tones over the years with PAF pickups and more recently Strats and Teles mostly.

Always struggled to get that last ounce of vintage character out of the models that was BB King, Freddie King, Tab Benoit, or Duane Allman like.
That vocal vowely tone.
It is there now. Maybe my playing is getting a little better, but the amp models are more realistic.

Also the difference in amp model tones is more apparent and identifiable.

That is all I got. It really is sounding great these days. Great job FAS team.

Recently reamped a session for a friend, gave him 2 real amps and 4 fractal models. He chose the Mezzabarba Trinity first, but the Fractal JP2C was a close second and this is just pure preference. The model wasnt any less “real” sounding.

I am really not one at all to claim every FW is a lot better than the last.
Me too. I've liked certain updates more for the added effects features, than the amp modelling. But for that aspect, for me it was Cygnus. This last one, I didn't notice as drastic a change.

Agree 100%. I chase the same tones op, and have been on board since 2009ish. I feel it’s really really dialed in now. I personally can’t leave the 59 Bassman. Control switches for boost, saturation and I’m in heaven with the stages. Pick, fingers, and glass slide all very dynamic and inspiring. I a/b with my real amps frequently using power amp/cab and the AxeIII (or fm3) wins every time, for me. It is there imo. However it won’t surprise me in the least if Cliff codes more mojo somehow. As a programmer and entrepreneur myself, I have nothing but respect for what he’s achieved, how he did it, and it’s been amazing to be apart of as the firmware develops via the updates all these years. Thanks FAS for a great ride!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom