I think my computer is near death...

Windows "XP"...from 10 years ago... lost my Axe-Edit... but i have loaded all the latest versions, Drivers Etc...
But i keep seeing in the upper left hand a red X..and "Disconnected"... Spent 5 hours trying everything...but no go.
My question is... without having the editer...and not being able to just click on "Import"...to load new presets...
Is there anyway they will load over a USB into my Mark II, with just knob control? Would it be a Dump to preset
setting in my Midi screen? Im pretty sure that the latest versions are just too much for my old HP XP computer.
So maybe a quick trip to the store to get a cheaper Windows 7 CPU, and try again? Man, am i lost not having
that on screen Editer! :-((

Make sure all your drivers are up to date, try a different USM cable, try different USB ports on your computer. Find the root cause. Eliminate, eliminate, eliminate.

Wrong forum. Should be in the lounge or Axe Edit forum.
That said, why not drop a few $10 bills and get a new HD for your old laptop and a copy of Win7? (Just sayin... it would be a worthwhile investment compared to 5 hours of pulling out your hair)

Windows XP is legacy. Go with the time and buy W7. You'll not regret it, it's a great OS once you got over some of it's unusual quirks.

So maybe a quick trip to the store to get a cheaper Windows 7 CPU, and try again? Man, am i lost not having that on screen Editer! :-((

OMG you are technologically living on the edge! Forget about Aerosmith... Having a Windows XP computer with any personal data connected to the internet is an open invitation for Iran (or generic hackers) to infiltrate your system and hijack your identity!

Do yourself a favor and run to a Best Buy or hop on eBay Deals for some great prices on top of the line gear (even if refurbished):
Dell Inspiron 14" Touchscreen Laptop i5 8GB 1TB I5447 6250SLV 884116144694 | eBay
HP ProBook 450 G2 15 6 Core i3 4005U Windows 8 1 64 Bit 4 GB RAM 500g 888793577523 | eBay

Best deal personally (yes $1K)
Latitude E7440 i7 4600U 8GB 256GB SSD 1080p Backlit Vpro Fingerprnt Rdr Dell Wty | eBay

Oh, and from the Axe-Edit side, I guarantee new hardware/new OS will give you more consistent results.

:D

You may have a hard time finding Windows 7 on a new PC but if you get Windows 8.1, go to Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements and install their free Start menu called Classic Shell. You can select different Start menus that look like WinXP and Win7.

Also, if you get Windows 8.1 64bit, you may have issues installing some drivers. Follow this guide to install them: How to Disable Driver Signature Verification on 64-Bit Windows 8.1 (So That You Can Install Unsigned Drivers)

You may have a hard time finding Windows 7 on a new PC but if you get Windows 8.1, go to Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements and install their free Start menu called Classic Shell. You can select different Start menus that look like WinXP and Win7.

Also, if you get Windows 8.1 64bit, you may have issues installing some drivers. Follow this guide to install them: How to Disable Driver Signature Verification on 64-Bit Windows 8.1 (So That You Can Install Unsigned Drivers)

Exactly.......Plus w8.1x64 is much more stable than win7 and imo runs faster-my daw certainly runs better-Sonar-newest. Classic Start menu works great-don't even know it's there.

So maybe a quick trip to the store to get a cheaper Windows 7 CPU, and try again? Man, am i lost not having
that on screen Editer! :-((

You won't find brand new PCs or Laptops with Win7, but if you have someone that refurbs laptops near you, I'm sure you can get a killer deal on an older laptop with Win7.

I'm a Mac guy but bought a windows machine for my kids and can't stand Win8. May have to try that Shell thingie.

Exactly.......Plus w8.1x64 is much more stable than win7 and imo runs faster-my daw certainly runs better-Sonar-newest. Classic Start menu works great-don't even know it's there.

There is a hint of a learning curve but I agree, system performance is much greater on Windows 8.1. The start menu is coming back in Windows 10 don't you old-schoolers worry!!! ;)

You won't find brand new PCs or Laptops with Win7, but if you have someone that refurbs laptops near you, I'm sure you can get a killer deal on an older laptop with Win7.

I'm a Mac guy but bought a windows machine for my kids and can't stand Win8. May have to try that Shell thingie.

I bought a brand new PC with Windows 7 on it about 2 months ago (I can't stick Windows 8 either). There are currently plenty of options for buying new PC's from the "business" selection as opposed to "home" orientated computers from the likes of Dell and other such companies. (I bought mine which was a Toshiba from Overclockers in the UK) Such computers targeted as "Business" machines, can often be specified with your choice of operating system as Windows 7 or as Windows 8.

Guys-win 8.1 being more stable, faster, better performance etc is not an opinion, it's a fact. Once again, the classic menu is seamless.....so...Just sayin, not trying to argue.

Back
Top Bottom