I think my axe FX is fried :(

No it's not....

Living in USA - check newark.com -> LPT42 - 231 units available
Living in UK - check uk.farnell.com -> LPT42 - over 900 units in stock (!!!)

cheers
Paco

PS: I carried my old axefx standard with me for the last (almost five) years - never had a single issue. You can't tell - electronics are electronics.
Thanks - just ordered one from Newark. BTW if you do order from Newark, select USPS Priority rather than the default shipping method and you'll get it faster and cheaper (for me it was $5.82 vs. $8.93, and in most cases USPS Priority is usually only 2 days).

I think that is is awesome that Cliff used some sort of modular power supply that can be replaced so easily/cheaply.

I don't know how many diodes and MOSFETs I have replaced that killed a power supply and took me hours to figure out and hours to disassemble the whole freaking thing to get to.

:)

Not good enough in my opinion. It's one of the principal reasons why I won't upgrade to an AXE II. I've got three 30 year old Korg A3s here that have never failed. One of them is in my Ultra Rack as a backup. A power supply should be selected that is really overbuilt and reliable.

An AXEII unit that will cost me over Aus$2600 plus a new floor controller ($500-$1000, because Cliff removed one of the expression pedal inputs) is a lot to layout for a unit that seems to have a history of power supply failures.

Don't get me wrong here: I love my Ultra, and find it difficult to go back to my valve amps and rack setups. For me the AXE-FX is the way forward and I commend Cliff for his genius, vision, and customer service.

However, "c'est la vie" is not a good enough attitude when this may be addressed by using a different supplier or a more overbuilt/protected power supply. When one is trying to gain a share in the market with a new product: this is not good promotion. It only takes one interveiw by a famous user complaining about reliability to undo years of good promotional work.

Are the power supplies in the Ultras the same? Did they suffer as many PS Failures?

WTF? As many? How many have there been? Did I miss such an avalanche of failing power supplies? I know I haven't been as religious in reading the forum lately, but I can't remember more than 4 or 5! Ever! I guess I must have missed the other fifty or so that would make this about average in power supply failures, guessing at a total number of about five thousand delivered Axe's (low guess) and an acceptable PS failure rate of 1%(I think that's low too). Searching the forum for "supply failed" didn't turn up much.

I'm sorry, but you are basing an opinion ("Not good enough.") on rumors of a couple of failed PSs on an internet forum? And you're assessing the reliability of the A3 by your own experience of exactly three? Why does that comparison sound kind of skewed to me? Maybe you haven't heard of all the failing A3s because, well, the internet didn't exist yet in 1988, twenty five years ago when the A3 was released according to the Korg Museum. While we're splitting hairs anyway, how did you manage to get those A3s five years before they were made?

Get real.
There is no such thing as 100% reliability. There is nothing with a 0% failure rate. I think about half the things in my house have some tiny or bigger thing wrong with them. Some unnoticable, some annoying. That's the state of the world. Deal with it. But don't call the Axe-FX II unreliable because of a couple of posts on a forum.

Sheesh.
Internet reality.
[Rant off]

WTF? As many? How many have there been? Did I miss such an avalanche of failing power supplies?

There are always people like him that love to take this kind of opportunities and talk like if all units are having problems like this little eventuality. There is a term for that kind of attitude but i can't remember it...

WTF? As many? How many have there been? Did I miss such an avalanche of failing power supplies? I know I haven't been as religious in reading the forum lately, but I can't remember more than 4 or 5! Ever! I guess I must have missed the other fifty or so that would make this about average in power supply failures, guessing at a total number of about five thousand delivered Axe's (low guess) and an acceptable PS failure rate of 1%(I think that's low too). Searching the forum for "supply failed" didn't turn up much.

I'm sorry, but you are basing an opinion ("Not good enough.") on rumors of a couple of failed PSs on an internet forum? And you're assessing the reliability of the A3 by your own experience of exactly three? Why does that comparison sound kind of skewed to me? Maybe you haven't heard of all the failing A3s because, well, the internet didn't exist yet in 1988, twenty five years ago when the A3 was released according to the Korg Museum. While we're splitting hairs anyway, how did you manage to get those A3s five years before they were made?

Get real.
There is no such thing as 100% reliability. There is nothing with a 0% failure rate. I think about half the things in my house have some tiny or bigger thing wrong with them. Some unnoticable, some annoying. That's the state of the world. Deal with it. But don't call the Axe-FX II unreliable because of a couple of posts on a forum.

Sheesh.
Internet reality.
[Rant off]

I really couldn't be bothered answering your foolish hysterical rant; It's been answererd with far more class and poise; and I'm satisfied with the reply.

"The power supply is quite over-spec'd. The unit only requires about 25W but I spec'd a 40W supply to ensure longevity under difficult operating conditions"

The power supply is quite over-spec'd. The unit only requires about 25W but I spec'd a 40W supply to ensure longevity under difficult operating conditions.

Thank you for the informational reply. Given that a lot of people use surge protectors is there anything you could think of that would minimise the risk of this happening? Especially for the 220-240 volt users?

I realise an external power supply would be cumbersome but users could then carry a spare.

There are always people like him that love to take this kind of opportunities and talk like if all units are having problems like this little eventuality. There is a term for that kind of attitude but i can't remember it...

Listen to yourself: Making assumptions about a person’s character, morals, and motivations from a few lines on an internet forum.
You carry on like I'm a child molester, serial killer, or Cthulhu.

Fractal saw fit to answer my criticism with facts not emotions; you'd do well to follow his example.

"It's only gear dude"

Last edited:
I really couldn't be bothered answering your foolish hysterical rant; It's been answererd with far more class and poise; and I'm satisfied with the reply.

"The power supply is quite over-spec'd. The unit only requires about 25W but I spec'd a 40W supply to ensure longevity under difficult operating conditions"

Fortunately I'm not the CEO of a certain company. I get to be non-politically-correct. I don't mean to insult anyone. Although somebody might feel accused...

I'm just a user on a forum who actually has the unit in question. Based on my experience with the unit the power supply is rock solid. How much does that prove? Utterly, but not quite completely, nothing.

Foolish? I'm not using a blatantly unfair comparison. AFAIK most of my assertions stand. Since I don't have all the facts I might be wrong, that's the chance I'll take. So who's foolish?

Hysterical? I'm not one mousing over to a parts website ordering a €50,- part in case mine is not one of the 999 out of a 1000 that will keep on happily working for longer than it will stay in my possession.
Quite calm, thank you. And very amused.

Yet here I have called on using an unfair comparison in this very thread, even before a certain first post, and lo and behold, it happens again! Apparently one needs to use harsh words to get the attention.

Sorry you caught the brunt of it, Bob. I'm sure you're a nice guy and a better player than I am. Believe it or not, I'm also a nice guy. Many here can attest. I just like to kick up a bit of a storm every once in a while. And use some colourful language. English is so much more expressive than my native Dutch.

Heck. The Axe is a pro unit, but I believe mostly used by amateurs. It's not a life support system. Nobody dies if it fails. You don't dimension something like that for 0 failures with backups for the backup systems. Look at space shuttles. How many did they make? Yet one of them failed rather spectacularly.

Double that amount ;)

Was there more than one? I remember the spectacular one. I stopped watching the news years ago. Decided most of it wasn't new anyway and all of it very depressing. Yet here I am using a great deal of prose over what is absolutely meaningless in the scheme of things...

:D

Listen to yourself: Making assumptions about a person’s character, morals, and motivations from a few lines on an internet forum.
You carry on like I'm a child molester, serial killer, or Cthulhu.

Fractal saw fit to answer my criticism with facts not emotions; you'd do well to follow his example.

"It's only gear dude"

What you need to do is take a chill pill and calm your self!

Geez....

I use a small UPS for my Mark II and my Laptop. Be smart guy's, our FX's are classified as computing devices. Consistent, clean and dependable power is a must.
Most power supplies fail when power is applied / removed. I leave mine ON at home (unless a big T-storm comes through). AT gigs, I cringe everytime I power up.
I would love to have one of the failed boards to troubleshoot. SOMETIMES a weak point in design, or component(s) that can be addressed to improve the reliability. I'll give someone 10 bucks, PayPal, for a bad 110 VAC unit, and cover shipping in the CONUS.

BTW, I DO bring a Digitech Genesis3 with me to gigs for a b/u. I program the FX to match CC's so my FCB1010 will stay the same.

Back
Top Bottom