I think my axe FX is fried :(

I use a small UPS for my Mark II and my Laptop. Be smart guy's, our FX's are classified as computing devices. Consistent, clean and dependable power is a must.
Most power supplies fail when power is applied / removed. I leave mine ON at home (unless a big T-storm comes through). AT gigs, I cringe everytime I power up.
I would love to have one of the failed boards to troubleshoot. SOMETIMES a weak point in design, or component(s) that can be addressed to improve the reliability. I'll give someone 10 bucks, PayPal, for a bad 110 VAC unit, and cover shipping in the CONUS.
Farnell states the PS spec'd for 85 to 264 volts.
BTW, I DO bring a Digitech Genesis3 with me to gigs for a b/u. I program the FX to match CC's so my FCB1010 will stay the same.

I use a small UPS for my Mark II and my Laptop. Be smart guy's, our FX's are classified as computing devices. Consistent, clean and dependable power is a must.
Most power supplies fail when power is applied / removed. I leave mine ON at home (unless a big T-storm comes through). AT gigs, I cringe everytime I power up.
I would love to have one of the failed boards to troubleshoot. SOMETIMES a weak point in design, or component(s) that can be addressed to improve the reliability. I'll give someone 10 bucks, PayPal, for a bad 110 VAC unit, and cover shipping in the CONUS.

That would be interesting. A piece of equipment I use at work has blown PS about every 6mo. The company that made the equipment would just buy new ones, was not interested in trouble shooting to fix it. Only visible sign on PS was a blown fuse, a fixed, soldered into place fuse.
After a few replacements of these the Tech wondered if something would work. He replace a set a transistors (I believe) separate from the PS board and upstream. That seems to have fixed it. Fuse was in a tight spot, but one of our techs finally was able solder a new fuse on. Can't remeber if it was piggyback or totally cut it out (he has it somewhere). Never had to use it yet. But, yea if a component on the board is failing and can be easlily replaced with a better quaility one that would be great.

Just wanted to share my experience and thanks to the replies in this thread.

Bought my axe II used here on the forum in May. Its an mk1 so its a bit old now. Anyhow, Black Wednesday (of all shows) my axe wouldn't turn on. Had it on 2hrs before the gig. I accidentally unplugged the power conditioner without turning off the axe first. Hindsight I'm thinking this is what caused it to die. Had to use my backup, bb preamp with ehx 44 magnum. Surprised how much I enjoyed this little setup.

Friday I contacted Fractal and they said it was most likely the power supply. No warranty for me I knew I was looking at 150 at least (shipping to/from, parts and service). Luckily I found this thread and purchased a power supply from digi key and watched the youtube video and swapped it out last night. Powers up alleluia! THANK YOU GUYS! Saved me some dough! I think I'll be buying another supply to keep on hand.

The exact same thing happened to me. Contacted support - was a fried power supply. They sent me a new one which I received within a week and replaced it in 2 minutes. No problems ever since. I asked them if there was anything I could do to prevent it again (surge protectors, etc), but they said that the fault was in the power supply and would not happen with a good one. No problem since then!

What was wrong with the PSU, and what did you do to repair it?

It died on me onstage. Contacted fractal for a part number. I think it's in the wiki.

Opened unit disconnected molex connectors unscrewed power supply, screwed new one in replaced connector, replaced cover. Fired up good as new.

It died on me onstage. Contacted fractal for a part number. I think it's in the wiki.

Opened unit disconnected molex connectors unscrewed power supply, screwed new one in replaced connector, replaced cover. Fired up good as new.

My mistake. I thought you actually repaired the PSU. Which would be quite useful for me at the moment.

At least my failure was at home, not live. My heart goes out to you, I'm trying to think of anyone that I'd wish that on.

My mistake. I thought you actually repaired the PSU. Which would be quite useful for me at the moment.

At least my failure was at home, not live. My heart goes out to you, I'm trying to think of anyone that I'd wish that on.

Yeah was a nightmare for sure. Sh$& happens though. Got it sorted. Nothing wrong with having a backup PSU and I guess it makes sense to have an EPROM also .

More likely it's the voltage difference.

Rich, here in the Philippines, I feed my Axe the dirtiest, most unstable and ungrounded 220 VAC on this planet, and she goes on and on and on.
As an electronics engineer of 25 years, I say this; SHIT HAPPENS! Anything made by mankind can and will fail. Look what happened to Apollo 13.

Is it possible to have price & reference of this power supply at G66 ? I'm not a regular gigger but guess it would be better to have one in stock...maybe. Even at occasional gigs it would be shit to have a dead unit. Reference voltage in EU is more close to 230Vac than 220Vac and if you're living on the country-side it regularly can go up to 245Vac on load surges depending on how far you live from the last distribution transformer.

Carlos. how long have you had yours? I've had mine about 2 years.
I've only had my MK2 nine months, but from the stand point of mains-power, mine's been put through the test. (every day)
When I watch the room lights flicker, go dim and then really bright, it sends chills up my spine, but the Axe has endured that up until now.
Once, I opened mine up (just out of curiosity) to take a look (expecting to find a genie) and noticed that there's plenty of room inside to put a spare power supply (if that makes any giggers feel more secure)
Quite honestly, from my own engineering experience, I believe the p/s in the Axe is of good quality. Anyone familiar with PC power supplies could rig an ordinary unit designed for a desktop computer to work external to the Axe's case. For all practical purposes, the Axe IS a computer, requiring the same voltages. (+5, +/-12 volts DC) The Axe main board used a "Molex" type connector and the pin-out can be learned from the existing supply. (I can just see the look on Cliff's face!)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom