I think my axe FX is fried :(

Well I know this now, but you just don't expect a 2 grand piece of kit to go down on you after a few months. I had a boss GTPRO for 7 years and never failed once. I had a JMP-1 for 4 years and never failed once. Never needed a backup. Now I know I do.

I had a JMP-1 (still have) and I gigged it for 6 or so years then quit gigging for 2 years and then decided to fire it up again .... all my presets were still there and working .... for a hour .... then the fecker blew up :)

Then I got an Ultra and now I've got the Axe 2 .... I didn't really feel the need to send the JMP-1 off to get fixed after that even though Marshall offered which I thought was quite sporting of them.

The power supply is harder worked at EU voltages .... so a bad 'un will let go at any time - but it's not an expensive thing to buy if you want a spare on hand .... and easy to install yourself.

I had a JMP-1 (still have) and I gigged it for 6 or so years then quit gigging for 2 years and then decided to fire it up again .... all my presets were still there and working .... for a hour .... then the fecker blew up :)

Then I got an Ultra and now I've got the Axe 2 .... I didn't really feel the need to send the JMP-1 off to get fixed after that even though Marshall offered which I thought was quite sporting of them.

The power supply is harder worked at EU voltages .... so a bad 'un will let go at any time - but it's not an expensive thing to buy if you want a spare on hand .... and easy to install yourself.

Cool cheers. I've emailed G66 just awaiting a response and then i'm good to go.;)

G66 will have you back up asap. World class service.
I sent my Ultra in for a crackling XLR output once, known issue due to phantom power. They fixed it and shipped it back the same day. I had it back inside the same week.
I'm thoroughly convinced they will keep that up if they can. Good people.

They can't do magic, though...

Bummer about the gigs.

Just for perspective: out of tens of thousands Axe-Fxes shipped, how many complaints have we seen here? Odds are pretty small. Quite possibly a higher percentage of GT10s died, just not yours.

Last edited:
Well I know this now, but you just don't expect a 2 grand piece of kit to go down on you after a few months. I had a boss GTPRO for 7 years and never failed once. I had a JMP-1 for 4 years and never failed once. Never needed a backup. Now I know I do.

Electronics is electronics. Doesnt matter if its the best design in the world with the best components failures happen, and when they do its most likely to occur in the first 12 months. Thats the same for hifi, TVs, white goods, rack processors, and high end medical equipment.

Sounds like what happened to mine - it was a fried power supply.

They are amazingly easy to swap out - the problem will be getting one quickly. Hopefully G66 have a spare to send you Express. PM me if you want more info on replacing it.

Sounds like what happened to mine - it was a fried power supply.

They are amazingly easy to swap out - the problem will be getting one quickly. Hopefully G66 have a spare to send you Express. PM me if you want more info on replacing it.

I'll be fine replacing it, it's just getting hold of one. Mouser.com have a 3 weeks waiting time. Let's hope G66 can send me one out. :)

I toured South America in the late 80's and took a volt meter with us to test the power. We were using large converters to plug our USA rated gear into. I was amazed how much the power fluctuated in places like Rio, Sao Paulo, Buenos Aries, Santiago during dinner time when people got home and started cooking or restaurants hit their peak serving times. Much lower than during business hours, which surprised me - I would have thought things would be fairly even - the population was consuming power at work, and then at home. But the draw on the grid during evening was much heavier, due to all the power needed for cooking and for lights. I have always been told that browning out or starving an electrical device was very damaging on the components, and we saw power that was waaaaay under optimal, after it went through the transformer process and before it went through power filters and regulators, in these foreign places.

I wouldn't mind buying one of these to keep on hand for my unit that's out of warranty (my 2nd unit is only a few months into the 3-year warranty); but I'd want to be 100% sure this is the right power supply before I bought it. Can anyone FAS-connected confirm this is the right part?

Not that I don't trust you mrpollack - I just want to be sure :)

I wouldn't mind buying one of these to keep on hand for my unit that's out of warranty (my 2nd unit is only a few months into the 3-year warranty); but I'd want to be 100% sure this is the right power supply before I bought it. Can anyone FAS-connected confirm this is the right part?

Not that I don't trust you mrpollack - I just want to be sure :)

That is the exact same part number I ordered to replace the one in my Axe-FX II.

The Mouser part number on my invoice was:

826-LPT42
LPT42
40W +5/+12/-12VDC

Not good enough in my opinion. It's one of the principal reasons why I won't upgrade to an AXE II. I've got three 30 year old Korg A3s here that have never failed. One of them is in my Ultra Rack as a backup. A power supply should be selected that is really overbuilt and reliable.

An AXEII unit that will cost me over Aus$2600 plus a new floor controller ($500-$1000, because Cliff removed one of the expression pedal inputs) is a lot to layout for a unit that seems to have a history of power supply failures.

Don't get me wrong here: I love my Ultra, and find it difficult to go back to my valve amps and rack setups. For me the AXE-FX is the way forward and I commend Cliff for his genius, vision, and customer service.

However, "c'est la vie" is not a good enough attitude when this may be addressed by using a different supplier or a more overbuilt/protected power supply. When one is trying to gain a share in the market with a new product: this is not good promotion. It only takes one interveiw by a famous user complaining about reliability to undo years of good promotional work.

Are the power supplies in the Ultras the same? Did they suffer as many PS Failures?

Not good enough in my opinion. It's one of the principal reasons why I won't upgrade to an AXE II. I've got three 30 year old Korg A3s here that have never failed. One of them is in my Ultra Rack as a backup. A power supply should be selected that is really overbuilt and reliable.

An AXEII unit that will cost me over Aus$2600 plus a new floor controller ($500-$1000, because Cliff removed one of the expression pedal inputs) is a lot to layout for a unit that seems to have a history of power supply failures.

Don't get me wrong here: I love my Ultra, and find it difficult to go back to my valve amps and rack setups. For me the AXE-FX is the way forward and I commend Cliff for his genius, vision, and customer service.

However, "c'est la vie" is not a good enough attitude when this may be addressed by using a different supplier or a more overbuilt/protected power supply. When one is trying to gain a share in the market with a new product: this is not good promotion. It only takes one interveiw by a famous user complaining about reliability to undo years of good promotional work.

Are the power supplies in the Ultras the same? Did they suffer as many PS Failures?

Totally agree, shouldn't even be an issue. Although the sound of the Axe FX is incredible and second to none i'm a bit dubious of the reliability now, if theat had happened at a gig I would have been goosed. If anything it's made me look for a spare fx unit of some type incase it happens.

Out of stock. 3 week lead time. But, more importantly, it's now marked "NRND: Not recommended for new designs." That typically means it's about to be discontinued. Cliff, do you have any insights on a replacement supply at this point?

No it's not....

Living in USA - check newark.com -> LPT42 - 231 units available
Living in UK - check uk.farnell.com -> LPT42 - over 900 units in stock (!!!)

cheers
Paco

PS: I carried my old axefx standard with me for the last (almost five) years - never had a single issue. You can't tell - electronics are electronics.

Back
Top Bottom