I think im gonna stick with FRFR (Disscussion about the AIR function)

farrakon

Inspired
I liked plating the axe through my powered EV ELX112p. Sounded powerfull... but there was something bothering me soo much.... there was this honk and lack of highs i could not control.... Then it so happened that I messed with something I never tweaked before.

In the cab block I turned the air from the default 0% to 100%. Now it sounds like if Im playing through my guitar cab! Now i wanna buy a second speaker!

The air at 0% was killing my highs starting from the default freq of 8000hz.

Are most of you aware of tweaking the air, is it new just for me?

Anyways, thought Id share this so if someone experiences the same result as me post it here.

I would think this would depend mightily on the IR selected. As someone with an elx112p in transit, your account worries me a lot!

"Air" mixes in direct signal with the processed signal. The Air Frequency parameter (added in firmware 5.04) is available for adjusting the cutoff frequency of the mixed signal.

Interesting... I will check it out and try it. I have "converted" to FRFR but sometimes I feel like I wanna go back to cabs... but I have not even remotely messed with all option this devices is giving me. Will dig into this, thanks for heads up

I would think this would depend mightily on the IR selected. As someone with an elx112p in transit, your account worries me a lot!

It shouldnt worry you if its about the ELX since I had this problem with the axe cab block perse.... through studio monitors etc.

I actually liked the air set at 75 for the ir i was using from gods cab irs. Tweaking this simply added what i had to force through adding highs and presence. I really really like the sound im getting now enough to keep using FRFR and not get rid of my ELX.

Im just stating that its one of those features I never touched before and now its getting me where I want to after accidentally messing with it.

"Air" mixes in direct signal with the processed signal. The Air Frequency parameter (added in firmware 5.04) is available for adjusting the cutoff frequency of the mixed signal.

Can you explain this further?

The entire thing is processed, so I'm failing to compute (pun intended).

Do you mean like DRY in a wet/dry/wet set-up?

Can you explain this further?

The entire thing is processed, so I'm failing to compute (pun intended).

Do you mean like DRY in a wet/dry/wet set-up?

0 is totally processed signal through amp ,cab,etc air adds direct signal to the mix (as you turn it up)along with the processed. frequency is a lpf to limit how much highs are added with the direct signal.

The air/direct signal will still have gone through any amp block before the cab. It's just like turning up a lowpass filter in parallel to the cab block. Freq. range below air freq. gets boosted & smoothed out.

You are bypassing the cabinet block with a portion of the signal?

Almost like lowering the mix from 100% from the cabinet block?

Yes, kind of like a mix control w/ narrower range and that filter on the "dry" signal. 100% normal IR sound (at 0% air) to some blend of IR and lowpass-filtered sound (at 100% air).

I cant see the AIR parameter helping with high gain tones at 95% so I assume you are only using clean tones? What amps are you using where this parameter makes the tones better?

Actually high gain tones is what i use. No cleans for me. I try to control the amps in the axe as i would a real amp wothout adding eq of any kind. Ill post a patch when i get home.

I created some patches with tweaked amp blocks but used in a realistic manner. Things to note: I consider the max taper of a regular tube power amps precense at a 100 percent the same as at 50 percent in the axe fx meaning that 12 o clock in the axe fx is the same as 100 percent in a tube amp therefore I set it lower than 12 o clock. The Air has been set at 100 percent in the cab block. I am testing this using gods cab impulses. Any other info... jus ask. EQ the amps to your liking but they should be at a setting that can be tweaked like a real amp. I am using a Electro Voice ELX 112p.

http://www.qfpost.com/file/d?g=FbeedcNs0

Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited:
sorry for any inconvinience... just used the first one the search engine gave me... was easy for me to upload, I changed the upload link to another place. No spam :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom