I think I'm going to get a DJ rack for my setup

JustinAiken

Inspired
I think I'm going to get one of those DJ racks that has racks for a mixer on top... Then I'll put my real rack stuff in the bottom, and use 1U panels spaced to make kind of a Pedaltrain type thing on top, where I'll put my guitar pedals and a loop switcher for them... that way my pedalboard is less cluttered, and I can twist the knobs on my pedals easier if I need to...

So I'm thinking one of these:

http://www.skbcases.com/industrial/prod ... php?id=591
or
http://www.djdeals.com/skb84DJ.htm

On the bottom will be the Axe-FX, a power strip, and a MW-1 (when I can afford one)

On top will be a VL PP2+, Axcess GRX4 (when I can find one!!!), EHX 2880, Keeley comp, and Analogman KoT, all velco'd to rack panels... maybe a custom patch panel too for easier pluggin'...

What do you guys think? Good idea? Bad idea?

That's what I did, and it works great.
I'm using mine mostly for home-studio work, but it's easily transportable, when needed. It's set up with a rack-drawer on bottom, then a space for headphones and such. Next, there's a headphone amp, rack portion of the sound-card (M-Audio 1010), and the Axe-FX. In the top back, I stuck a Furman Power conditioner, as it's shallow, and accessible, this way. The Axe-FX is the highest unit, so it's accessible to the back, for wire rerouting, and the controls are most easily reached. I set a RNC compressor and UA Audio Solo 610 preamp on top, on the flat space left on the Axe-FX. If the unit is being transported, the compressor and preamp go in the headphone space, or get left behind, since I mainly use them for recording.
I put together a small wheeled chassis, so it can be rolled; there are holes where the rubber feet set in, so it stays put, but can be easily lifted out, if I don't need to roll it.
Output is usually through the near-fields, or a wedge, but headphones can be used, if night work is being done.
Since this is mostly for practice and recording, I can get drums, keys, etc, using the midi keyboard into the soundcard, headphone listening, to keep from annoying everyone, and transportability, when I use it playing out. It can be converted from studio to stage quickly and easily, and is not overly heavy. It pretty much has everything I need for stage or sol recording in one compact package - the best of both worlds.

Picked up a 11 over 6 today... I like the idea, but 11x6 is too big for me (I didn't realize how big it was in the store!)

Going to get a 8 over 4 instead...

Back
Top Bottom