I think I'm finally getting my head wrapped around this mastering thing.

shadoe

Experienced
I recorded this using the Nolly rythm guitar and slap bass settings (Ibanez 10 Anniversary Prestige w/Barknuckle HolyDiver and MIM Fender Jazz Bass). I also, used Superior Drummer Metal Foundry, EZ MIX2 and some basic pro-tools plugins. Recorded through a firepod and Yamaha HS80s.

I take constructive criticism very well. So, any would be welcome 8)

Last edited:
Thanks man! I know I need to work on the snare and toms as well. I liked the piccolo snare in the superior drummer 2.0 but I can't figure out how to merge it with metal foundry correctly.

Thanks for the tips man!

When you talk about merging it, do you mean to get bleed into the other mics? Describe your problem a little bit more and maybe I can help.

Overall, I think you've got a pretty thick sound here. You could probably use a bit of a wide cut (very small, like .5-.75 db) across the low mids, like 250-450 Hz, to kind of clear up some of the muddy frequencies that are piling up with the everything together. Or you could go back and cut just a little in that area in the guitars, bass, and certain drums and it would crispen the sound quite a bit. Just one guys two cents.

All I want to do is use the piccolo snare from the New York kit (standard 2.0 kit) with my metal foundry kit. When I added it in as an extra drum it would only let me use 2 mics that weren't on the drum already present. Or I have my snare saved on another preset so if I could just load the snare from a different preset that would be nice.

And thank you ill work on those frequencies and get back to you.

And no I don't post on those forums. I hate being the guy who registers a membership for one question.

Well, certain microphones from MF can't be used on the Avatar pieces that you add via x-drum because they don't exist for the avatar kit. I would stick to using the snare mics provided in MF if you want the kit to gel right. You should be able to use the condenser mics for the top and bottom snare, and it should show up in all of your individual drum mics, OHs and ambient mics. It won't show up in the mono mics or the chamber mic because those are specific to the MF kit. Once you set up your kit with all your bleeds and everything how you want it to sound, programmed all your notes/MIDI nodes, you should save your kit as a combined preset under the load/save tab. This will keep everything, including your microphone assignments, mixer, mapping, tool settings (everything) as a preset you can pull up.

There was a time I used the Avatar mics within the MF kit, but it just didn't sound right. I didn't care for it so now I try to use only mics within the kits I'm using.

Well, certain microphones from MF can't be used on the Avatar pieces that you add via x-drum because they don't exist for the avatar kit. I would stick to using the snare mics provided in MF if you want the kit to gel right. You should be able to use the condenser mics for the top and bottom snare, and it should show up in all of your individual drum mics, OHs and ambient mics. It won't show up in the mono mics or the chamber mic because those are specific to the MF kit. Once you set up your kit with all your bleeds and everything how you want it to sound, programmed all your notes/MIDI nodes, you should save your kit as a combined preset under the load/save tab. This will keep everything, including your microphone assignments, mixer, mapping, tool settings (everything) as a preset you can pull up.

There was a time I used the Avatar mics within the MF kit, but it just didn't sound right. I didn't care for it so now I try to use only mics within the kits I'm using.

Alrighty. I'll see what I can do with another drum. Thanks for the input man! I knew it just didn't sound right fro some reason!

Sounds awesome. I think the snare sounds fine, but considering I recently turned 50, my hearing's not what it used to be. Really tight sounding playing and mix!

sounding pretty cool man... I think there is probably some over-compression going on with the snare that is stealing it's life. Try backing way off and change the release to a very fast release. You don't need tons of compression in MF... a few DB is fine.

Alrighty. I'll see what I can do with another drum. Thanks for the input man! I knew it just didn't sound right fro some reason!

My point was that you can definitely use the piccolo snare in MF and have it sound quite natural, but you have to go into the mixer and turn on the bleed in every mixer channel where you want the drum to be picked up. For example, I have to go into each tom drum and set it to pick up the bleed of xdrum1 if my snare is xdrum 1. If it's a little "c", it means it's automatically in there. The only mics that won't work with Avatar snare drums are the 2 dynamic snare mics (top and bottom), the trash mic, the mono channels, and the chamber channel. You can certainly get a great drum mix without these channels. I would just look more into how you're processing the bleed with your current snare rather than switching it out. I'm currently building a preset with the ever-popular Avatar black beauty. Sounds massive!

A little better. Try adding a little more room and some top end in the 6-10k realm for some snap and clarity. It sounds more natural now tho!

Also, you might try and LP the guitars around 9-10k to create some room for the snare to pop a little more. :)

It's coming along! What kind of attack and release are on your snare compression and your drum bus? You might still be hitting it a little hard, but you might also want a slower attack to let some of the snap of the drums through so we're not just hearing drum body. Overall good work so far though! Keep it up!

Back
Top Bottom