I think I really hate IRs

bke

Inspired
recently got an axe fxiii, have had fractal products over the years, axe FX, axe 2, ax8 etc. so have had lots of experience using ir’s. Have also had Kemper and helix so pretty comfortable in the digital world,

Anyways, before getting the axe3, I was using a couple of amps into a load using either uad ox or two notes cabs for cab sims at home, and was pretty happy with the tones I was getting. Role on a few weeks ago, got my axe fx3, and...l was a little underwhelmed. Spent time messing with setting, scrolling through irs and after a while relished I was playing less than I was before... on a whim I decided to create the ultimate mess with shit patch, where I could switch between using a real amp, an amp from the axe fx3, and two notes cab in loop. (The io options in the axe FX 3 are awesome!!!!)

So far for me what I realized, I still don’t like ir’s, I like real cabs and I seem to prefer the two notes cab in the loop and using that for cabs rather than using ir’s. I seem to be able to dial the cab in really easy vs the “next” syndrome of auditioning Irs. Two Notes cab Just seems to sound more natural to me. Maybe that’s just because it’s a sound I more used to recently, but would love if in the axe I could pick a cab, the microphones and just dilal it as your would I’m a real room, moving the mics around until you got you your sound.

Probably because it’s a sound you’re familiar with. Usually I find 4 or 5 ir’s I like and stick with those. use them for clean and distorted tones. If seriously recording I’m sure I’d try many more.

Try blending some you like in the new cab block. It seems easier than it used to be finding something that sounds great.

@bke
The baked in concept can make things easier but can also become a rabbit hole. Instead of copying my axefx2 presets I started over using the III's factory presets and making minor tweaks to tone, gain, fx etc. Keeping the cabs (IR's) from those presets. I've gotten quite a lot of compliments on my tone so for now I'm sticking with simple and staying out of the hole. I do miss being able to call up a neutral IR and selecting a mic and adjusting it's position though. Seems easier than wading thru 1000 IR's.

recently got an axe fxiii, have had fractal products over the years, axe FX, axe 2, ax8 etc. so have had lots of experience using ir’s. Have also had Kemper and helix so pretty comfortable in the digital world,

Anyways, before getting the axe3, I was using a couple of amps into a load using either uad ox or two notes cabs for cab sims at home, and was pretty happy with the tones I was getting. Role on a few weeks ago, got my axe fx3, and...l was a little underwhelmed. Spent time messing with setting, scrolling through irs and after a while relished I was playing less than I was before... on a whim I decided to create the ultimate mess with shit patch, where I could switch between using a real amp, an amp from the axe fx3, and two notes cab in loop. (The io options in the axe FX 3 are awesome!!!!)

So far for me what I realized, I still don’t like ir’s, I like real cabs and I seem to prefer the two notes cab in the loop and using that for cabs rather than using ir’s. I seem to be able to dial the cab in really easy vs the “next” syndrome of auditioning Irs. Two Notes cab Just seems to sound more natural to me. Maybe that’s just because it’s a sound I more used to recently, but would love if in the axe I could pick a cab, the microphones and just dilal it as your would I’m a real room, moving the mics around until you got you your sound.
you can do this with IR's....just pic the numbered mic positions until you've found what you like.

I know what mics I like, what mic positions, what speakers I like, what cabs I like (in the "real" world)...it makes going through IR's a pretty fast and painless process.

I'm too intimidated by cabs. There're just too many. And to me, it's nothing more than an EQ curve. There's probably more to it than that, but it just seems like I'm flipping though various EQ curves and I eventually forget the tone I'm going for. That's the main reason I stick with one amp and try just a couple cabs. My brain can't process the concept of IRs.

...would love if in the axe I could pick a cab, the microphones and just dial it as your would I’m a real room, moving the mics around until you got you your sound.

This! It's not that IR's are bad. It's that the UI for dealing with them is ridiculous and it gets more ridiculous the more IRs you have to deal with.

Austin

Ive asked half a dozen times for an IR/cab sim; make adjustments to basic 2x12, 4x12 etc, different mics but all built in. Far too hard to wade throught 10 trillion ir's.

Are u useing stock IR's. Myself I don't like Fractals IR's. I'm not sure what they
do in their process but my ears don't like it...

I either use the stock 4x12 TV legacy cab, OR, I let guys like Mikko do the work for me.

Find the Ir’s which already are a mix of several ir’s such as the ML alloy mixes which combined 4 mics already.

Try the ten or so in the folder, pick what you like

No need to over complicate things unless you want to

I've never used factory cabs and still don't with the Axe III. I use my own and sometimes mix them with a couple free ones I found on the internet.

I'm not knocking you OP, but most folks who like the 'real cab' sound generally only have one sound. It varies a bit, but it's still just one sound with a different set of EQ. I went through this in my cab days too. An AC30 had the same 'flavor' as a Fender, or a Marshall through the same cab.

I have no solution for you. I find the cabs can vary from crappy to great. The III gives us the option to mix them up in one place, which works for me. Sure, it takes some (maybe alot) of effort, but if you want wildly different tones, there is NO choice but to wade through the swamp. It's not hard...just tedious.

The concept of just 'pick a cab and move a mic around' is still there. You just don't use it (you just don't pick and IR that you like and play around with it.) For me, it's too limited in that argument.

Maybe try some of the preset designers we have here? There's some great stuff there that might help.

R

So far for me what I realized, I still don’t like ir’s, I like real cabs and I seem to prefer the two notes cab in the loop and using that for cabs rather than using ir’s.

I’m confused...

You like the cabinet emulation from the 2 notes cab emulation but you don’t like IR’s ?

Isn’t the 2 notes emulating a cab with IR’s ?
This, if I am reading correctly he just said: "I really don't like IRs, I prefer IRs instead". o_O

Back
Top Bottom