I think Cliff was drunk when he designed the AX8 UI.

Geiri

Inspired
When I first got my AX8 I tried to edit on the device and gave up, used the editor and never looked back.
Now I had the device unplugged from the computer cause I had to charge my phone, I'm drunk as a skunk and I'm editing like a boss on the unit itself.

I'm finding everything I need in no time. I can't tell you where the stuff is cause I honestly don't know but when I bend over, everything is in place, so to speak.

Hope I remember this tomorrow :D

I think once you learn to dial it in on the computer then move to the AX8 editing, you know what you're looking for and it's just a matter of finding it. Not plug and play intuitive but very usable.

When I first got my AX8 I tried to edit on the device and gave up, used the editor and never looked back.
Now I had the device unplugged from the computer cause I had to charge my phone, I'm drunk as a skunk and I'm editing like a boss on the unit itself.

I'm finding everything I need in no time. I can't tell you where the stuff is cause I honestly don't know but when I bend over, everything is in place, so to speak.

...... and when you sobered up you discovered you were editing the hoover

Yes, the interface leaves a LOT to be desired. I remember when I first got the AX8 that I was flabbergasted that FAS actually managed to add controls for amp settings, but somehow made the editing more cumbersome that it was on the AxeII. A year and a half later, and I still find editing on the face of the unit very cumbersome.

Yeah I can edit on the front panel without much issue, but at the end of the day I'd rather get rid of the amp knobs and give me standard nav buttons & leave the abcde knobs for editing values. Oh well.

I was cool with the Axe II XL front panel, could tweak stuff fairly quickly even in rehearsal with folks waiting. I made my first patches on front panel without AxeEdit. I'm almost there with Ax8 after a few months of using it! Still pretty dependent on computer attachment. I'm thinking of getting an iPad just for Fractool to edit patches in rehearsal.

Yeah - I find the amp knobs to be fairly redundant as I have my 'go to' settings for amp blocks now and once set I rarely touch them.
I would have more use for a Nav Pad.

I'm usually editing other parameters such as drives and delays during soundcheck and I would be able to get to them much quicker with a proper Nav Pad like the AFXII I had. It would also make jumping between the two units easier as they both would have worked in much the same way.

I don't find the scroll wheels intuitive for moving around the grid compared to up, down, left, right buttons.

If the effects are assigned to footswitches then you can get into the block quickly, but that is not always the case.

As it turnes out I was editing roomba the robot vacuum cleaner. But the good thing is that now it's also doing the dishes and laundry. Wife's happy :D

All kidding aside my presets are fairly simple with amp drive and delay. Editing a more complex chain on the unit can get a bit frustrating I imagine.

Line 6 will never sound like any Fractal gear ever. Where it has fooled people is in some polished soundcloud clip

Line 6 will never sound like any Fractal gear ever. Where it has fooled people is in some polished soundcloud clip

Well, you're wrong about that. I was able to use an A/B box in front of my AX8 and Helix and make them sound identical, to the point where even I got confused. But don't get me wrong, it was a lot of work.

Still love my AX8, but the Helix UI is outstanding.

Step away from the kool aid.

My band mates Helix sound just as great as my AX8. It's ok to admit that. It doesn't mean I'll be getting rid of my AX8. I love it. Blind loyalty and hyperbole doesn't do anyone any good, including Fractal.

Very true. I don't have an AX8. I'm a long time Axe-Fx user but I chose the Helix over the AX8 because my bandmate had a Helix and I thought it would be fun and convenient to share patches/tips/tricks. I'm very happy on stage with my helix. I usually don't play it at home though. I find that my Axe-Fx just has that little automatic something extra sound wise that I gravitate to it more.

Just showing you my signature ;)

Back
Top Bottom