I take many breaks; should I leave the equipment on?

Suhrfer

Experienced
I often practice eight to ten hour days, with breaks from fifteen minutes to an hour all throughout the day. Is it less wear and tear to leave the equipment on or turn it off with every (long) break?

I've left it running for a week -- went on vacation, forgot to flip it off. It's generally fine to leave it run. There's not much in the way of mechanical components to wear out. Just a fan that's easily replaced.

Mine runs almost 24/7. The theory is that it is less stressful to leave it on then to constantly be turning on and off. When you turn it on there are inrush currents and thermal shocks that wear the components out faster. If you leave it on constantly, however, eventually you get electromigration but that takes many years. Electrical stresses from line transients are a wear mechanism as well so a good quality line conditioner is recommended. I have mine (and my computer) on a UPS.

Mine runs almost 24/7. The theory is that it is less stressful to leave it on then to constantly be turning on and off. When you turn it on there are inrush currents and thermal shocks that wear the components out faster. If you leave it on constantly, however, eventually you get electromigration but that takes many years. Electrical stresses from line transients are a wear mechanism as well so a good quality line conditioner is recommended. I have mine (and my computer) on a UPS.

I've also wondered about leaving mine on vs shutting it down. And was told the same thing you just said.
I just hate to leave mine on....it's my baby!! :p

Just curious, how long have you been running it 24/7? No issues with the fan etc?

I've also wondered about leaving mine on vs shutting it down. And was told the same thing you just said.
I just hate to leave mine on....it's my baby!! :p

Just curious, how long have you been running it 24/7? No issues with the fan etc?

Actually I should say 12/7. I turn it on in the morning and off at night. The fans are good quality so they shouldn't wear out.

Can matrix amps be treated the same way... Run leave it on??... Are amps to be treated any different...

Amps generate more heat as do power supplies and processors and heat is the enemy of electronics. With proper ventilation and cooling?

If you use a furmen power conditioner which i use on all my electrical devices in my home, then the inrush is much much smoother when turning on the device suddenly, and also when leaving it on. The smoothness of power flow is massively different than normal un-conditioned power flow, and all devices last a big measured lifespan length. There were tests on overhead projectors which they normally have issues with their bulb lifespan from daily use from normal wall wart power flows, and using a furmen power condition made the life of the expensive bulp last 500% longer than normal. Thus, i always use power conditioner now, and have found it hugely better for my devices, it will be exactly the same for the Axe FX. You see them used on many many many guitar rigs everywhere, and many already with Axe FX units in those rigs. DO IT! Arnold_Schwarzenegger_do_it_now_meme.jpg

So it's better to have the fractal's switch always on and use the furman turn it on , than to turn the furman on, then switch the fractal on?

This reminds me of a question I have been wanting to ask. I have a Strobo Rack Tuner in my rig. This tuner has its power on/off switch in the back. Is it safe for the longevity/life span of the Strobo Rack to leave its power switch on and power the tuner on and off from my Furman (which is a M-8Dx by the way)? Thanks!

no, its fine to use the fractal as normal, using its own power switch, its just a much smoother power flow with the furmen. The normal wall socket is never consistent, little more, little less power, up and down slightly etc, thus when you turn on the fractal, you don't know what you will get, and electronics devices like consistency and a power flow within the range. The furmen will give your device exactly the same flow of volts every time without any ups and downs at all. So have your devices, in this case, external pedals and laptop or PC for axe edit next to the fractal etc, have them all within the furmen. I have a furmen into a multiplug, and power a couple of units from it. Fractal, pc and my external JD Screamer True Vintage overdrive unit, thats it. axe fx 2 XL+ and CLR Wedge (480x640).jpg 4211059_800.jpg

yes it is perfectly safe 100%. The furmen will provide a smooth flow to your unit/s without surges, or even little inconsistent flows suddenly going into your devices. So yes, just use the one switch on the furmen to rule them all if you like!

I intentionally left my Axe on for 10 days last week. In part cause i was using as a signal test source for a digital board that i was stress testing. Didn't have any problems with it during that time period both as using it as a audio interface and under normal operation as a modeler.

I take a lot of breaks, too, and I don't like turning the AXE and stuff on and off all the time. But leaving it on all day
wastes a lot of expensive electricity. Soooo, what I'm thinking and suggesting for the FX XL II, or whatever the boss
decides to call it is a standby switch, a la an amp head. Does that make any sense?

Back
Top Bottom