I take many breaks; should I leave the equipment on?

Mine runs almost 24/7. The theory is that it is less stressful to leave it on then to constantly be turning on and off. When you turn it on there are inrush currents and thermal shocks that wear the components out faster. If you leave it on constantly, however, eventually you get electromigration but that takes many years. Electrical stresses from line transients are a wear mechanism as well so a good quality line conditioner is recommended. I have mine (and my computer) on a UPS.

Damn. I was under the impression that the Axe could deal with these line transients for years on end without any problem, so I've been plugging directly into a powerboard (with surge protection). What UPS are you using?

Nice! I use a UPS as well. I wasn't sure If it was the best option. I notice most people have rack mount voltage regulators.

Ziewebelchen Sounds like a Liberal to me. I'm a Christian, Conservative, Republican. I'm also a MUSICIAN. I don't read this forum everyday to read about some hippie wanting to save trees. I don't care anything at all about the environment after I am dead it won't matter to me. And I don't care about trees at all. We are never going to run out of trees. There's many systems in place that make sure we don't. All I care about reading on here is Fractal Axe FX stuff, not Liberal Left Wing Hippie Tree Hugging crying and moaning about the environment. I personally will waste anything I want, if I pay for something I will waste it all I want. We don't read these threads to be preached to or to be told what we should or shouldn't do by your Liberal type. People like you are the exact reason I can't get out of Austin, TX fast enough. I'm going to leave ALL the lights on in my house for the next couple weeks just because of your Left Wing post telling Axe FX users not to be wasteful, and for any future similar comment going forward I will poison a tree or something of that nature just to protest your Communism. I've been reading this forum for many years, this is the first post I ever read about someone crying over the environment, and I hope the last. If you wanna save the planet, do so your ownself, and be quite while doing so, realize not everyone else shares your beliefs or cares about it.
I didn't know Ted Nugent had an Axe!

oh wow, someone has come in to preach to us, oh joy. Hey look, its an extremely insane person. Freaky shit indeed! Can you send a picture of your face, please, we all want to take a look. lol FAIL!

oh wow, someone has come in to preach to us, oh joy. Hey look, its an extremely insane person. Freaky shit indeed! Can you send a picture of your face, please, we all want to take a look. lol FAIL!

Indeed, Fail. Your message fails to make sense in any way. No clue in there to whom you are referring.

How come you think it is alright to be so insulting to whomever you are adressing?

Since there are only two people in this thread doing what could be construed as preaching and neither of us are incoherent...

Soon publicly professed to be a Christian and that was followed by a number of views that were definitely not biblical teachings. He implied those to be connected. That is what I meant to publicly set straight. Devil-may-care is not a biblical teaching. I am also a Christian but I do not want to be associated with a number of those views, I don't want anyone to have the impression that I would. Or that those were in any way Christian views even though a lot of Christians may share them.

Whatever else anyone may read into this is their own assumption.

Last edited:
Ziewebelchen Sounds like a Liberal to me. I'm a Christian, Conservative, Republican. I'm also a MUSICIAN.
Instantly getting personal? Says a lot about your maturity.

Also, just to go sure: I'm not an american. We actually have more than 2 parties in the rest of the world...

Did you know that an acer of Cannabis can pull out 5X more Co2 than an acre of trees? Forget about the trees if you want to remove Co2 man, plant a bunch of Pot and leave your Axe FX on and save the planet at the same time ;).
"Save the planet, smoke more weed." just gets more truthful every day. :D

does that fall under the "kinda have to" category or the "personal entertainment" one?
Good question. Both?

Well now I'm bummed!

Reading this thread I found out my guitar playing is killing the environment.....
Guitars are killing the environment quite literally. At least those made of wood. ;)

EDIT: Also, there seems to be a natural hate for trees on guitar players anyway, playing an "axe" and now even processing sound with an "axe". ;D

Last edited:
<ignoring the BS and trolling on this thread>

I am currently plugged in to a surge protector. I leave the Axe on for long periods of time and live in an area which experiences brownouts/blackouts at least a few times a year. It seems like the recommendation is for either a power conditioner or a UPS (which inherently does power conditioning). I am not doing anything mission critical here so I don't think I need protection from power interruption. Will a cheap power conditioner like this do the trick?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055YB7IA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I don't plant trees; that's natures job! I shot and killed three Bambi's last season, and I do not recycle.

i watch as Americans eat vaccines for breakfast and sprinkles for pudding and watch as they run around in circlesMemeDeesKidsExplodingHeadJunkFood.gif. funny as hell!

Just to get back to the topic, does Cliff mean that he's using a line conditioner in conjunction with a UPS? As far as I can tell 95% of UPS units do nothing in terms of power conditioning.

Just to get back to the topic, does Cliff mean that he's using a line conditioner in conjunction with a UPS? As far as I can tell 95% of UPS units do nothing in terms of power conditioning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterruptible_power_supply

Note the "Common Power Problems" section. I took it that Cliff was using a UPS which provided power conditioning. Since my guitar playing isn't "mission critical," I am more interested in the power conditioning aspect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterruptible_power_supply

Note the "Common Power Problems" section. I took it that Cliff was using a UPS which provided power conditioning. Since my guitar playing isn't "mission critical," I am more interested in the power conditioning aspect.

I know that most regenerating UPSs don't produce a sine wave, but have a lot of harmonic content at their output which could possibly be an issue for audio gear. Still very curious to hear of Cliff's exact setup regarding his UPS and/or Power Conditioning.

Ziewebelchen Sounds like a Liberal to me. I'm a Christian, Conservative, Republican. I'm also a MUSICIAN. I don't read this forum everyday to read about some hippie wanting to save trees. I don't care anything at all about the environment after I am dead it won't matter to me. And I don't care about trees at all. We are never going to run out of trees. There's many systems in place that make sure we don't. All I care about reading on here is Fractal Axe FX stuff, not Liberal Left Wing Hippie Tree Hugging crying and moaning about the environment. I personally will waste anything I want, if I pay for something I will waste it all I want. We don't read these threads to be preached to or to be told what we should or shouldn't do by your Liberal type. People like you are the exact reason I can't get out of Austin, TX fast enough. I'm going to leave ALL the lights on in my house for the next couple weeks just because of your Left Wing post telling Axe FX users not to be wasteful, and for any future similar comment going forward I will poison a tree or something of that nature just to protest your Communism. I've been reading this forum for many years, this is the first post I ever read about someone crying over the environment, and I hope the last. If you wanna save the planet, do so your ownself, and be quite while doing so, realize not everyone else shares your beliefs or cares about it.

SOON, i am sorry for you. Christian, Conservative and Republican? Well it is not your fault alone. But maybe there is a cure or you. Don't give up. BTW, I am liberal and atheist!. There is no Jesus that save the trees or the Conservatives. Thank your god that there is no god.
Otherwise the non existent god would kick your real existent con......ve a.. into hell. Never read such an ignorant bullshit in that forum.

I don't plant trees; that's natures job! I shot and killed three Bambi's last season, and I do not recycle.

Suhrfer, well, nature planted trees all the time, you are right. Millions and millions of years everything was good, then there came stupid homo sapiens with a saw. Nature will plant trees in the future. She shows patience and only waits for mankind's vanishing.

Back
Top Bottom