AFIII I started doing a cover of "5150" from VH

MattBowman

FAS Social Media Advocate
Yesterday I was listening to the VH catalog at work and decided I was going to start looking at the riff to 5150 as it was always such a cool riff to me! So I just did a quick recording using a fantastic patch I tweaked from Mark Pritchard which you can find here https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/van-halen-panama-preset.165907/. I double tracked the guitars L and R and recorded direct to Logic, no post processing, using a backing track I found on Youtube. I'm using two Ownhammer ir's (see attached pic below) and I tweaked the amp eq's and added a virtual capo to tune me down 1/2 step.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 9.57.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 9.57.36 AM.png
    179.2 KB · Views: 82
Does any one realize Joe Satriani was one of Eddie's guitar teachers? sure was. According to a music software I have called music central he was.

Are you thinking of Satriani being Steve Vai, or Kirk Hammet's teacher? Never heard this one...🤷‍♂️
According to my music central software Eddie , Steve Vai, the guitarist for primus, the guitar from T ride and Kirk Hammet was all taught by Joe Satriani. It's not me saying it it's the Music Central software that says he was. I will find the software and look it up and take a snap shot of it for you to see for your self.

Last edited:
According to my music central software Eddie , Steve Vai, the guitarist for primus, the guitar from T ride and Kirk Hammet was all taught by Joe Satriani. It's not me saying it it's the Music Central software that says he was. I will find the software and look it up and take a snap shot of it for you to see for your self.

It was the other way around! Eddie taught everyone something :)

Guitar great Joe Satriani remembers the first time he heard Van Halen play: "Not only was my breath taken away and my heart pumping out of control, but I was so happy that someone had arrived who was going to really do it."
The first time I heard Eddie’s guitar playing, it was coming through the radio in my little studio apartment and I actually had my guitar on. I was practicing and listening to the radio and all of a sudden, “Eruption” [from Van Halen’s 1978 self-titled debut album] comes on and fills my apartment and not only was my breath taken away and my heart pumping out of control, but I was so happy that someone had arrived who was going to really do it.

Great job on that riff. I was hit hard by Eddie's death as well. I use to listen to VH albums back in the day. Wore them out. Part of the reason he moved people so much (IMO) is his riffs just put a smile on your face. His riffs were just happy. You always saw him jamming with a smile on his face. The world needs more of that.......

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom