I recorded a meshuggah ripoff

theo

Experienced
Quick and dirty recording.

The guitars are done through my axe fx 2. This is a 7 string in B standard but it's pitch shifted down to 8 string range.
There's no post editing at all on the guitars, Drums were written by a friend (Singer in my band actually) and are superior 2.0 using a stock preset.

Hope you enjoy it!

I would not have guessed that is only a sevenstringerar :)

A lot of real eightstringvideos on youtube sound shit compared to this IMHO :)

aka, this sounds good and I like it :)

Does anyone have any recommendations on how I would go about tuning a bass to this? Same as guitar or lower?

Well traditionally the bass is lower, I read that the best way is to record the bass straight on one track then create another track with some fx on it to make the bass very distorted and compressed, then you combine the 2 to make the final bass track,

Thanks marrafat! That how I've been doing it recently and it's pretty effective. I'm just not sure the best way to actually tune the string on the bass for a low G. Thinking that unison with the guitar might be worth a try.

Thanks marrafat! That how I've been doing it recently and it's pretty effective. I'm just not sure the best way to actually tune the string on the bass for a low G. Thinking that unison with the guitar might be worth a try.

Well depending on if you are using a 4 or 5 string bass, your tuning may be different. One thing I read that people will do is actually tune and octave up on the bass so the low string matches the low string on the guitar. This is really only the case if you are playing a real low tuning on your 7 string. However, it may require a setup on your bass due to string tension.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how I would go about tuning a bass to this? Same as guitar or lower?

Well, the way Meshuggah does it is that the guitars are 8s tuned down half a step (F-Bb-Eb-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb-Eb), and the bass is a 5 tuned to drop Bb (Bb-F-Bb-Eb-Ab) so that for their 7-string material in Bb, he can play an octave lower like normal, and for the 8-string stuff, he can play in unison.

Well, the way Meshuggah does it is that the guitars are 8s tuned down half a step (F-Bb-Eb-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb-Eb), and the bass is a 5 tuned to drop Bb (Bb-F-Bb-Eb-Ab) so that for their 7-string material in Bb, he can play an octave lower like normal, and for the 8-string stuff, he can play in unison.

Nailed it

nice. sounds great, could you post that patch.
I want the pitch settings!

I can look to see if I still have it. It was made for V8 or 9 keep in mind.

Thank you!

Dude that sounds fkn insane... any tips on how you get such a heavy sound with so little noise?

Less gain, careful gating, HARD picking, put a boost before your amp (I like the valve drive).

Back
Top Bottom