I really want this tone (Burst + Klon + Magnatone)... how?

axes

Experienced
So how would you approach this tone?
TL;DW: it's a Magnatone Varsity Reverb 1x12 combo with a Burst.
Obviously the Burst is part of the tone but I'm more trying to find a similar sounding amp in the Axe. Oh, and there's also a Klon there...
Cheers :)

Playing it from the video and starting after the talking should yield the same results, right?
You could try, but I'd use the various musical passages throughout the video. The talking is interspersed so you really need to edit it out. There's more low chordal playing in various keys later on.

You could try, but I'd use the various musical passages throughout the video. The talking is interspersed so you really need to edit it out. There's more low chordal playing in various keys later on.
I tried matching and it's close but there's a kind of high frequency "nuisance" that's not in the original. What am I doing wrong?

Fun tone. @phil92 is spot on with starting with the Class A 15 W model. I paired it with @York Audio 1x12 Class A capture that sort of got me in the ballpark using my 594.

Preset attached. Uses FW19.00.

Maybe start with something close'ish and tone match it?

Attachments

• [iaresee] Magnatone.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 19
I finally also managed to do a pretty good tone match. How can I upload a preset that has a TM block in it and keep the TM? Or is it kept?

Gotta cut 4500 to 6k and bring up 1800 to 2400ish. Thats my guess, not looking at a graphical readout. The original tone you liked was pretty much dimed mid-range.
Yes, certainly. My guitar is pretty much as different to a vintage LP as it gets :)

In my rather uneducated view, the thing with a lot of those cool old school tones, is all the gain they didn’t use (or didn’t have). But it still sounded bad ass.

With the gain kept back, you can get a pretty vintagy vibe going with a wide range of amp models.

Back
Top Bottom