I really don't like being a tease...

ownhammer

Power User
Vendor
...but I'm going to be one anyway.

I got a chance to put up the R121 and SM57 on a Diezel rear loaded cab I recently acquired, and did so in the same positions they were at on the most recent Marshall release. Here's the A/B, with SoundCloud's bit-rate smash-down:

Details (also on the SC page):

Same Mics (SM57 + R121)
Same Mic Blend (Studio Modern)
Same Speaker Type (V30-CH)
Different Cabinets (Diezel Rear Loaded vs Marshall Checkerboard)
Different Mic Preamps (CAPI VP28 vs BAE 1073mp)
Different IR tail lengths (Diezel = 500 ms ; Marshall = 100 ms)

Didn't check levels religiously, just flipped between the two IRs in the same convolution reverb loader with identical settings.

Just wanted to show the headbangers out there that the last cab was more on the vintage side, and that the modern stuff will sound more modern.

For those attending Axe-Fest II this year, when you guys have your scheduled breaks swing by room 1011 for a couple minutes. I'll be in there, and if my setup is capable (I'm borrowing monitors and headphones from a friend, not sure what they are or what they sound like) and the amps in there aren't blaring, I may be able to flip through a couple of these in the limited amount of demo tracks I'll have with me.

Maybe I'll see a couple of you guys there! :)

Last edited:
That sounds fantastic!! Much more firm and crisp than the chewier Marshall sound. What do we have to do to get hold of this one IR pre-release ;) I'm not adverse to begging!!

so for metal should I wait for the Diezel release rather than purchase the marshall modern? In the comparison above was that a Modern or vintage pack Marshall (ie apples to apples ?) I def. liked the diezel better

Finally getting settled back in after the LA trip, sorry for the delay.

It was awesome getting to see everyone that I did at the Amp Show; met a bunch of really great guys and gals and was an absolute pleasure!

RE a couple things here:

Any chance og hearing just the guitars ?

Unfortunately with all of the Tone Matching/Profiling/EQ Matching capabilities today I'll likely never release stems of any instruments again - as demos such as this or even for studio projects. Sorry about that! :)

so for metal should I wait for the Diezel release rather than purchase the marshall modern? In the comparison above was that a Modern or vintage pack Marshall (ie apples to apples ?) I def. liked the diezel better

I've come to find no two people think exactly alike, so I'd wager my recommendation wouldn't be worth much. :)

The Marshall was using the same speaker type (V30-CH), which would be in the Modern pack. I may not be getting to the Diezel until this winter or next year depending on where it may land in the queue, which is anybody's guess. Right now I'm working on a 2x12, and that's all I can say with any certainty at the moment. :lol

It was awesome getting to see everyone that I did at the Amp Show; met a bunch of really great guys and gals and was an absolute pleasure!

RE a couple things here:

Unfortunately with all of the Tone Matching/Profiling/EQ Matching capabilities today I'll likely never release stems of any instruments again - as demos such as this or even for studio projects. Sorry about that! :)

I've come to find no two people think exactly alike, so I'd wager my recommendation wouldn't be worth much. :)

The Marshall was using the same speaker type (V30-CH), which would be in the Modern pack. I may not be getting to the Diezel until this winter or next year depending on where it may land in the queue, which is anybody's guess. Right now I'm working on a 2x12, and that's all I can say with any certainty at the moment. :lol

Going out on a limb for this question, but is there any way someone could possibly purchase the specific IR you used in that recording as sort of a preliminary? If/when this cabinet series officially releases I'll probably end up using the V30 speaker combo anyways, so it'd be awesome if I could get a hold of this IR =D.

RE a couple things here:

It was great to meet you. I wish we had more time to talk. I look forward to your next round of offerings. Keep up the good work.

RE a couple things here:

I for one is so looking forward to that 212 - I expect my D-type tones with the new "212 with original G12-65" IR will be much improved, and FWIW they are pretty damn fine already :)

Thanks for the kind words guys!

I'll give some thought to a hidden and temporarily limited pre-release for the DZL-RL. If that comes to fruition, I'll let everyone know here and on the OH Facebook page.

Some crazy cool stuff I'll be dishing out in the next year, lots of cool things going on behind the curtain at the moment. :D

I for one is so looking forward to that 212 - I expect my D-type tones with the new "212 with original G12-65" IR will be much improved, and FWIW they are pretty damn fine already :)

I too am really looking forward to the 212 offering. I'm very curious and excited to hear what the new IR's will do for my Fender tones.

Terry.

Back
Top Bottom