i played a jvm 410 yesterday

paullypj

Inspired
I like this amp sounds great... one thing though when useing the fourth channel i noticed that it could sustain a note forever...well at least for 2 min thats when i got bored and played another note...so i went home to try out the same on my axe... it did not happen, 6 seconds of sustain is the best i got....

Is it possible to get this type of sustain and tone from the axe 2 i tried several amps turnred off the gate nothing comes close... i really dont want to use pedals just the amp block and cab.. i understand that this might not be possible with the axe and the set up im using ...and im ok with that... just want to know its limits so im not chaseing a sustain dragon...

i using mackie HR824s for monitors and a motu interface...jackson with duncans

thanks for the help

Because it was feeding back and your proximity. When would you utilize more than 6 seconds of sustain during a song?

I have a Marshall JVM410H and it does have crazy great sustain, but not 2 minutes worth!?!?!?! I have a Jackson with Sustainiac pickups and THAT does sustain forever (or until the battery goes dry, about 5 hours). The Axe FX II has a channel 3 (orange) of the JVM410 amp, but not channel 4. Adding a drive set on high levels of output and low gain in front of an amp block increases sustain, but again, 2 minutes?!?!?!?!?! @ high gain on channels 3 and 4 in Red or Orange modes the JVM410 also has a lot of hiss.

Was your guitar in the same place relative to the jvm's speaker and was the volume the same loudness when you tried with your axe?

I recall mine sustained quite well but it just felt like massive amounts of non musical gain, it was one of the first and very noisy (not sure what they are like now), even with a decimator I couldn't live with it and it had to go in the end, it was a bit of a psycho. CH4 would be a good patch if fractal could get the tone without the racket.

Last edited:
I had one for a while - it was the best-sounding amp I've ever heard at low volumes; the master implementation is genius. I liked it less the louder it got, but it's still a great amp. And Channel One, on red mode, does a pretty good Boogie Mark I too!

Acoustic feedback depends on so many variables: Speaker volume, position and orientation, room reflections, guitar construction and resonance, pickup selection and more. I heard that Ritchie Blackmore, who used various feedback effects at times, used to find stage locations and directions to face at sound check, then mark them with tape so he could use them during the show. Not sure if it's true though :)

Of course, if you're using at headphones, forget it!

it was definitely just feeding back. guitar strings don't vibrate on their force for 2 minutes without an outside force pushing it on. it mihgt have made it seem like it was mere sustain because the note of the feedback was the same as the original note played? for example 9th fret on the G string feeds back into the same pitch sometimes

i had a jvm410 too, the other guitar in my band now plays it :)

I heard that Ritchie Blackmore, who used various feedback effects at times, used to find stage locations and directions to face at sound check, then mark them with tape so he could use them during the show.
That was/is Santana.

I have one as well - but for some reason - I was never happy with how it sat in the mix with the band during rehearsals. Fortunately they were in my basement - so I'd just hook my Bogner up. I tried it several times - and never found anything I was happy with. I still have the amp - and it sounds great on its own. I may try again if I start playing with people again.

Because it was feeding back and your proximity. When would you utilize more than 6 seconds of sustain during a song?

Thats not the point ... I maybe im wrong about this but as far as i know great sustain makes it easier from me to play legato ... U know hammering and pulling off the notes with out picking

From Wiki:

Based on the OD1 Orange channel (not the OD2 channel!) of a Marshall JVM 100-watt amp. Used with Celesion V30 and Celestion Heritage speakers (combo version)

I never got sustain like that until I got my Hamer Studio Custom. Now I get sustain for days on both my Bogner Shiva 20th Anniversary and quite a few Axe Fx patches though I've never compared the two. I'm kind of with a few others on here. Why do I need sustain for days? I'm already headed for the next note after a ms or 2. It's really cool for drawn out song endings I guess.

Playing legato is a technique, it is accomplished through practice.

Not a ton of sustain on this track, but fantastic playing:

david valdes - Yahoo! Video Search

i watched the legend video that guy is something else I see marshall but no axe2 ... i like that tone no i love that tone... as far as i can tell i saw some amazing alteranate picking ... not much of the type of phrasing i was talking about think holdsworth and satriani some vai... u mentioned pratice im at least 8hrs a day just on scale work for the last 3 months. I have been working on quintuplet patterns with no picking just hammer and pulls with some sequences im pushing 130 bpm so i understand a little about the practice thing and the technique..I cant play like this guy though is it you?

Again i said i could be wrong about my sustain theory ... im pretty sure that the copious amounts of sweet smooth sustain help with the holdsworth style phrasing but it not just that its about the tone i get with the high gain ... its almost like every note is about to growl with harmonic over tones (Flying in a blue dream). Its close with the axe but its still not the same as e 580 engl preamp i sold...

Is this guy playing with a jvm. i listened to one song if he is i just may go out and buy one.. where did this guy come from

Is this guy playing with a jvm. i listened to one song if he is i just may go out and buy one.. where did this guy come from

He's a spanish guitar player. As far as I know he uses a GEN1 Axe Standard, but was a former Marshall JMP1 user so on the vid you saw he was probably using the JMP1.

Back
Top Bottom