I own one of the best guitar modeling/FX units - The Axe FX 2, but still get GAS...

Rockguitarzan

Experienced
I own one of the best guitar modeling/FX units - The Axe FX 2, but still get GAS when a thing like the Helix is being promoted and talked about by the community. I know the Axe FX has more power and the best tones Ive heard over my 45 year guitar playing experience.

But the GAS virus still infects me and I find myself wanting to call Sweetwater and order stuff I really dont need.

So Ive decided to try and inoculate myself against this GAS virus.

I am going to sit down and go thru EVERY preset Ive accumulated and never listened to. This includes presets by FAS, Yek, Freman, Amp Factory, Gund and misc. others. I will copy the ones I like and put them in a FAV folder.

I figure this will remind me just how awesome the AXE FX2 is and how I dont really need to waste my money getting anything else.... ;) And besides, I should have done this a long time ago!

Last edited:
Well it would be good to hear a report on the Helix ...... but you'd really need the AX8 too to make a comparison of 2 similar products :devilish:

Just kiddin btw!!

LOL! I actually spent several hours discovering great Axe FX presets Ive never heard before. GAS has been greatly reduced...at the moment. ;)

Firsthand if you're u have the money then just buy it and return if no good.
Dont dismiss Simeon's other worldly atmospheric presets....

I am going to sit down and go thru EVERY preset Ive accumulated and never listened to. This includes presets by FAS, Yek, Freman, Amp Factory, Gund and misc. others. I will copy the ones I like and put them in a FAV folder.

In all honesty man, I find that you really need 3-4 guitars to pull everything off. My currently inventory actually does not even include an Ibanez *gasp*, even though it is still my favorite brand with the Wizard necks. What I discovered IME is the honest tones I can mimic with Paul Reed Smith guitars. I own a 2012 Swamp Ash Special with Narrowfields, a 2012 Studio Narrowfields + 57/08 and a 2012 Hollowbody II with 57/08s/Piezo. With these three guitars I get a unique feel for each and different tonal qualities. The only thing that I really miss in all of my journeys with guitars is a Stratocaster. It's kind of like how people get attached to Les Pauls, which I understand, but I just can't stand the weight of an LP... It's the tone that drives the GAS for me.

To summarize it's about preference, feeling and tones to me now for guitars. Now that I have a solid suite of axes, I can explorer similar to what you are doing (every preset) with the ideal guitar to amp combos that work the best for any given situation. The last GAS I had was actually for a Korean or Japanese Squier strat to could do what I need it to for that tone.

In other words.... I feel your pain :lol

I always fall into this every now and then as well. Each time I go and plug into an amp that I am after, I am reminded of the flexibility of the Axe FX and usually can get the exact tone I'm hearing.

You can be one of the ones that does a thorough comparison and posts your results. We will all follow along closely.

I own one of the best guitar modeling/FX units - The Axe FX 2, but still get GAS when a thing like the Helix is being promoted and talked about by the community. I know the Axe FX has more power and the best tones Ive heard over my 45 year guitar playing experience.

But the GAS virus still infects me and I find myself wanting to call Sweetwater and order stuff I really dont need.

So Ive decided to try and inoculate myself against this GAS virus.

I figure this will remind me just how awesome the AXE FX2 is and how I dont really need to waste my money getting anything else.... ;) And besides, I should have done this a long time ago!

You know we have a lounge here for these types of topics? You being a member for all these years and you still haven't figured that out, tells me a lot about your thought process...

You know we have a lounge here for these types of topics? You being a member for all these years and you still haven't figured that out, tells me a lot about your thought process...

Well excuuuuuse me.!

It looks like Mr. Grumpy got up on the wrong side of the bed.

Take a nap buddy and please come back when you are less judgmental and angry at the world.

Sheeeesh....some people.......

(FYI, maybe you should reconsider changing your screen name. I dont find you funny at all.)

In all honesty man, I find that you really need 3-4 guitars to pull everything off. My currently inventory actually does not even include an Ibanez *gasp*, even though it is still my favorite brand with the Wizard necks. What I discovered IME is the honest tones I can mimic with Paul Reed Smith guitars. I own a 2012 Swamp Ash Special with Narrowfields, a 2012 Studio Narrowfields + 57/08 and a 2012 Hollowbody II with 57/08s/Piezo. With these three guitars I get a unique feel for each and different tonal qualities. The only thing that I really miss in all of my journeys with guitars is a Stratocaster. It's kind of like how people get attached to Les Pauls, which I understand, but I just can't stand the weight of an LP... It's the tone that drives the GAS for me.

To summarize it's about preference, feeling and tones to me now for guitars. Now that I have a solid suite of axes, I can explorer similar to what you are doing (every preset) with the ideal guitar to amp combos that work the best for any given situation. The last GAS I had was actually for a Korean or Japanese Squier strat to could do what I need it to for that tone.

In other words.... I feel your pain :lol

LOL! I have amassed 9 wonderful guitars over my life. But unlike you I have found that one really does all I need. ;)

Ibanez *gasp*, even though it is still my favorite brand with the Wizard necks.

Yeah, I love those wizard necks. My favorit neck was on an Ibanez RG 540 and never liked the neck on my JEM 10th. So I just got a Fender Stratocaster AM `59 Vintage a couple of months ago and swaped already the vintage tremolo with a Super Vee Tremolo. Great improvement. Then I changend the pickups and put in the David Gilmour EMG's and even a greater improvement. Now the neck I don't like at all - not good for bending strings - so I've ordered from Warmoth a birdseye maple neck with the exact masurements of those Wizard necks and can't wait to get it. Takes about 8 - 10 weeks till I get it send to Germany :eagerness:

Then I changend the pickups and put in the David Gilmour EMG's and even a greater improvement. Now the neck I don't like at all - not good for bending strings - so I've ordered from Warmoth a birdseye maple neck with the exact masurements of those Wizard necks and can't wait to get it.

Thanks BB, can you tell me if those DG EMG's still get the strat tone? I was GAS'ing over the Fender DG signature with Lace Sensors.... and then I saw the price tag.... :lol

Check out the Squier Japanese 1980's necks also mate. If you're strat-ensteining a Fender, sometimes you find the Squier necks in JP or KR were made better in some ways than the American Fender necks. Thanks man!!!

Well, David Gilmour is playing them and they sound pretty good. Compared with the Fender Custome Vintage`59 pickups they sound a bit warmer and not as bity but this could be because the Vintage'59 PU's where very straty but thin. Here is an example of my DG pickups, don't mind the music as it is only a work recording for my Blues CD and we have to record it proberly as my bass playing is not very good, but you can here the position of the bridge and middle pickup (my absolut favorit) with my 1959 SLP Jump Plexi preset, no Drive or Comp pedal blocks used and no processing:

Sorry for posting the whole song as I don't know how to just cut the recording - but there will be some fill ins and they where done with the JTM 45 which I did after I did the lead Take and I musst say I like that sound even more, so in the studio I probably wll be using the only JTM 45 for all guitar parts....

For some reason I think You'll have to click on to the https link...

Last edited:
Well, David Gilmour is playing them and they sound pretty good. Compared with the Fender Custome Vintage`59 pickups they sound a bit warmer and not as bity but this could be because the Vintage'59 PU's where very straty but thin. Here is an example of my DG pickups, don't mind the music as it is only a work recording for my Blues CD and we have to record it proberly as my bass playing is not very good, but you can here the position of the bridge and middle pickup (my absolut favorit) with my 1959 SLP Jump Plexi preset, no Drive or Comp pedal blocks used and no processing:

Sorry for posting the whole song as I don't know how to just cut the recording - but there will be some fill ins and they where done with the JTM 45 which I did after I did the lead Take and I musst say I like that sound even more, so in the studio I probably wll be using the only JTM 45 for all guitar parts....

For some reason I think You'll have to click on to the https link...
That is some great playing actually. I like the free spontaneous feel. Music is too pristine and produced these days - leave the bass in there!

Back
Top Bottom