I/O settings when using tube amp line out

EVH~5150

Hello, I wanted to try an experiment tonight with my AXE FX and need some confirmation on the proper way to set my input and output settings. I'm building a W/D/W rig with an EVH Iconic (combo) and two EVH 1x12 cabs (for the wet effects). I wanted to try using the AXE FX III for the wet effects only, so I plan on coming from the EVH Iconic combo line out, into the front of the AXE FX...setting up all of my wet effects in parallel....then sending that signal to a Seymour Duncan Power Stage 100 stereo power amp for the wet cabs. Do I need to select "line level" for my input setting? ...what about the output? Does it need to be -10 for instrument level?

I don't want to fry anything! :cool:

Thanks!!!

I believe the "front input" is designed as "guitar only", i.e. a signal directly from your instrument. You should probably be pluging the line out of your amp into one of the rear panel inputs designed to accept a line-level signal.

Absolutely everything you need to know can be found here: https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=I/O_connectivity_and_levels
Thanks! Yeah, I agree now. I pulled out the manual and was starting to figure that out tonight. Thanks for the insight.

Last edited:
yes go -10.. I found if you go +4 and turn up the volume you'll get that ghost fizz ( clipping) that is totally undesirable
Thank you! ..and I assume I should change the input setting to "left only" since I'll be feeding it a mono signal from the Iconic amp? I was reading about a volume loss if you leave it on stereo. I'll be using I/O #4 for this. The diagram on page 29 of the manual is pretty close to how I'll be setting this up, with the exception that I won't be using the FX loop from the amp, but rather using the amp's line out. Then coming into the AXE FX input 4L, processing the stereo effects, then going out of 4R and 4L and into the Seymour Duncan stereo power amp for the outside wet cabs with stereo effects.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom