Wish I/O Routing Matrix

A matrix would be great. Another thing that would be great, would be USB block modules that overwrite global settings for the presets they are used in. The combination of these two things would be awesome.

I think this is a great idea. Something similar to the Quick Build interface allowing us to draw connections could be a starting point because much of the underlying graphics code could be reused.

Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 8.52.53 AM.png
Instead of the "Out" blocks in the right column we'd have the regular input blocks, with a second matrix for the output section. The grids would have to change shape but there'd be room because there'd be fewer types of blocks.

It seems like it'd be possible from a coding aspect, but I have no idea whether the current hardware could support it memory-wise. Maybe, because the Cygnus sound generation is so good, the team can switch to improving the graphic interface and slide something like this underneath the current architecture.

That's my nearly worthless $0.02.

I would like to see 4 USB input blocks and 4 USB output blocks. On top of that, it would be nice to have USB-input and -output selectors in a "roll menu" like the gate type and the instrument impedance menus in the normal input blocks. And to have the same kind of selectors in the output blocks. This way, the user has the choice of making the routing "stealthy" like now - or to make it part of the grid.

I will probably never understand, why the headphone output is hardwired to Output 1. Unable to use Output 1 set up to required output level, if I don't want get deaf. Why headphone out is not the same module, as are other outputs. Or why it has no separate volume control. At least. :confused:

I think this is a great idea. Something similar to the Quick Build interface allowing us to draw connections could be a starting point because much of the underlying graphics code could be reused.

View attachment 83909
Instead of the "Out" blocks in the right column we'd have the regular input blocks, with a second matrix for the output section. The grids would have to change shape but there'd be room because there'd be fewer types of blocks.

It seems like it'd be possible from a coding aspect, but I have no idea whether the current hardware could support it memory-wise. Maybe, because the Cygnus sound generation is so good, the team can switch to improving the graphic interface and slide something like this underneath the current architecture.

That's my nearly worthless $0.02.
I will add my +1 to this. I think this would slot in on the onboard UI in the Layout grid where you could have simply another tab called "I/O routing" that shows you a simplified grid. On Axe-Edit it would be another button that could be under the Setup menu itself or under the Setup menu button on the main UI.

This would greatly improve usage of the Axe-Fx 3 as an audio interface.

Another option I would find acceptable is simply letting the user handle routing of any USB I/O in the main grid view. My understanding is the way it works now is that e.g. "Copy Out 1 to Out 2" works only if Out 2 is not on the grid. So if you were to do the same for USB, then you could retain the current functionality but also allow users to define more flexible routing where needed. They could also add any effects they want for that routing for any reason. I would use it for things like IR player block for room correction. The functionality for this already exists with the In USB block but it just needs to be separated to different USB inputs.

Let's say they want to map USB 1/2 to another output, then the user could simply add the "In USB 1/2" block to the grid and run it to e.g. Out 4 block if they want. If the "In USB 1/2" block is NOT on the grid then it follows the I/O menu mapping where it goes to either Out 1 or Out 2.

There's no need for any wheel reinventing like that. An I/O matrix is a pretty well established way to do the user interface for this kind of thing. For example see the following. It's simple, compact, clear, and efficient.

IOMatrix2.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom