Wish I/O Routing Matrix

There's no need for any wheel reinventing like that. An I/O matrix is a pretty well established way to do the user interface for this kind of thing. For example see the following. It's simple, compact, clear, and efficient.

View attachment 97823
I agree that the interface doesn't have to go all graphical on us, and that this would accomplish the task, but it'd be most easily used in the editor. The front panel, lacking a lot of horizontal space would probably be a very tight squeeze or have to be broken into individual columns or subsets.

I'm a little confused by the column names though; It seems like they'd all be defined for the various outputs on the device, without any "In block" entries since they're in the left column. Being able to check "In 1" and "In block 2" would do what?

I'm a little confused by the column names though; It seems like they'd all be defined for the various outputs on the device, without any "In block" entries since they're in the left column. Being able to check "In 1" and "In block 2" would do what?
See the signal flow diagram with the arrows in the first post of this thread. The columns are all the possible destinations of the input ports (the rows). "In 1" to "In block 2" would route analog input 1 to input block 2. (It would probably help if the input blocks were A-D instead of 1-4). The example shows the input routing. There would be a similar routing matrix for output.

See the signal flow diagram with the arrows in the first post of this thread. The columns are all the possible destinations of the input ports (the rows). "In 1" to "In block 2" would route analog input 1 to input block 2. (It would probably help if the input blocks were A-D instead of 1-4). The example shows the input routing. There would be a similar routing matrix for output.
That makes more sense. Thanks.

Add me to the list...I'm a new FM3 owner, but longtime DAW user and they list the FM3 as being a 4x4 USB interface and i can't see why.
I guess first it only has 3 physical inputs, and in the bizarre setup page i can't for the life of me get any sound to play out of Logic via output 2. I'm running it correctly out of logic, but nothing i do in the setup makes sound come out of output 2. I know this isn't the thread for it, so i'm still searching here for answers, but routing should never be this much of a headache, its DAW 101......

Last edited:
So far, I’ve been able to do everything I’ve wanted to routing-wise with the FM9 but I’ll always give added flexibility a +1

Add me to the list...I'm a new FM3 owner, but longtime DAW user and they list the FM3 as being a 4x4 USB interface and i can't see why.
I guess first it only has 3 physical inputs, and in the bizarre setup page i can't for the life of me get any sound to play out of Logic via output 2. I'm running it correctly out of logic, but nothing i do in the setup makes sound come out of output 2. I know this isn't the thread for it, so i'm still searching here for answers, but routing should never be this much of a headache, its DAW 101......
See Chapter 3, especially p. 24, in the FM3 manual.

See Chapter 3, especially p. 24, in the FM3 manual.
For what exactly? A picture that shows the 3 inputs for a "4x4" usb interface? Exactly.
I got it out of output 2 by just routing input one out to out 2. Haven't had time to try every permutation
of actually routing the DAW to the actual output 2. Everything i changed in the "setup" page of the FM3 edit app
didn't get me where i wanted. I guess there is an exact "gozintas to gozouttas" that does it. But the obvious didn't work for me yet.
Input one to out2 will work for now.

AM-JKLUlXkWJXCXmcVLNbuqZzZe9sj6kCMtIPehB-NtkC2I_B9LRLS5poYB0wgbxBI99tPu00XR0bmOX5Y-VGSbFL4tJmHVZgNBAB_YNH02UspwhCBZ6dBXwtk3NAxe_S9V5ZudRE6w9aMkE1orYELwFcnrz=w1170-h408-no

Go to Setup : I/O
Go to “Audio USB 3,4 Playback Destination”
Choose “Output2” instead of “Input 1”, which would be good for sending a DI guitar track back into your FM3 for reamping.

Would be nice to have at least some info, whether IO routing is possible on FXIII or not. Many ideas here, but we don't know, whether hardware design allows that.

Would be nice to have at least some info, whether IO routing is possible on FXIII or not. Many ideas here, but we don't know, whether hardware design allows that.
Agreed.

I'd say that the only non-doable thing is routing something other than Output 1 to headphones. That's known to be hardwired. But considering you can get various audio sources to the grid and route it to any output there, I would expect that it would be within Axe-Fx 3's capabilities to do so.

Let's not forget that even cheap audio interfaces manage to let you mix basically any of its inputs to any of its outputs, with similar hardwired caveats. For example my Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2nd gen lets me route any of the software playback sources to out 1/2, out 3/4 or spdif 5/6. Headphones 1 is hardwired to out 1/2 like the Axe-Fx, headphones 2 is hardwired to out 3/4. But otherwise routing of the audio is quite free.

I have a feeling that this is one of those indispensable and eminently useful ideas that will never be implemented for fear of a torrent of ignorance directed at customer support by those who refuse to read a manual.

I have a feeling that this is one of those indispensable and eminently useful ideas that will never be implemented for fear of a torrent of ignorance directed at customer support by those who refuse to read a manual.
It’s hard to say if it will ever be implemented, but compared to the confusing jumble of options currently offered, it would greatly clarify and simplify audio routing, and should thus reduce the burden on customer support.

Back
Top Bottom