I/O question about input

Billbill

Power User
Hi guys. Today was tweaking some presets and noticed that there's an input mode setting for Left only, sum L/R, and stereo. All my output settings in there are all set to stereo because I'm running stereo L/R to a matrix gt1000fx and two Orange PPC212 cabs one left other on my right, sounds glorious.
Was curious about the input setting so I selected stereo for that too to see what would happen and when I hit the front bypass button to tune I only get one side with input mode set to stereo.
I played through one of my gainy stereo patches with input mode stereo and it sounded little less heavy or full, when bypassed I only get one side. Set it back to Left only like it was before and both sides came back when bypassed and the gainy patch sounded full again and heavy.
What is going on here? What exactly is the input mode setting for? I'm all about full on true stereo so maybe I'm fooling myself on that one lol.

What are you plugging into your AxeFX? If you’re plugging a mono device like a guitar into it when using stereo mode, then one side of the input will be silent, causing a drop in the input level when the two sides are combined when using a mono block like the amp block, when the input select is set to "sum l+r".

Hmm yeah I read that but still having an issue
understanding how each one would apply case by case.
So if I'm going for some full on true stereo then according to the manual it should be set to its default "Left only"?

What are you plugging into your AxeFX? If you’re plugging a mono device like a guitar into it when using stereo mode, then one side of the input will be silent, causing a drop in the input level when the two sides are combined when using a mono block like the amp block, when the input select is set to "sum l+r".
I didn't tinker with the input select on the amp block didn't even think about that. Does the I/O input mode setting affect the amp block and it's input select setting?

because you only plugged into one side, left.
Yeah I guess, if for some reason the front input is "Left" but output 1 is stereo and I have a cab on the L and R so why do I get both when the input select is set to L only? What input setting should I use in a stereo setup?

Yeah I guess, if for some reason the front input is "Left" but output 1 is stereo and I have a cab on the L and R so why do I get both when the input select is set to L only?
You're sending a mono signal into a mono block that generates a left and right output.

When you change input 1 mode to stereo and use default input select of the amp block (sum L+R) then you're summing a full guitar signal from one side with an "empty" signal from the other side. It will be weaker sounding.

73C981E5-742F-48B3-A24C-37A4E57B43BA.jpeg
What input setting should I use in a stereo setup?
What is a "stereo setup"?

Sending a mono signal into an amp and a stereo cab is a stereo setup. Are you talking about feeding a stereo signal from outside the Axe Fx?

Yeah I guess, if for some reason the front input is "Left" but output 1 is stereo and I have a cab on the L and R so why do I get both when the input select is set to L only? What input setting should I use in a stereo setup?
because the input grid is expecting a signal to come into the right side of the axe input. without it, there is "less" signal, that's why there is less level. nothing is passing through the Right signal path before the Cab, and it's expecting it to because you set it to Stereo input.

if you are sending just a guitar into the axe, that is not stereo. that is a single signal, and you have the correct setting available, "Left Only." if you are not using a right input as well, then don't choose stereo for that input.

Ok it's much clearer for me to understand now thanks guys! Last one, what's an example or setup for using I/O input 1 select set to stereo? For sending a stereo signal into the front of the AxeFx? Like what?
Lastly, the manual recommends default setting to the front input. With that said, do all these same "rules" still apply if I switch to using the rear input?

Ok it's much clearer for me to understand now thanks guys! Last one, what's an example or setup for using I/O input 1 select set to stereo? For sending a stereo signal into the front of the AxeFx? Like what?
Lastly, the manual recommends default setting to the front input. With that said, do all these same "rules" still apply if I switch to using the rear input?
Front input is Input 1 Left. it would be the same as Front vs Rear. it's Input 1 Left.

stereo keyboards, a guitar that somehow sends stereo, anything that has a stereo output. i used it for my guitar with electric and piezo signals. a piano keyboard can send stereo output for panning of the piano, etc.

main point is if you don't use a stereo instrument specifically, no sense to set the input to stereo as it's not receiving both left and right signals.

Back
Top Bottom