I/O Instrument Input set to 28% for Les Paul...is this what others are experiencing

Hottest is PRS Custom 24 set it at .28 EJ strat is about .45 The Zematis w Lindy Fralin 9.0ohm PAFS is about .28 max - .75 min.<- (has the jimmy page 4 x push pull pot wiring system so this guy is all over the board and can make just about any sound I want) - I leave it set at .28 and it's all good.

Cables making difference ??? Only using Mogami Platnum 12' in my studio.

Honestly without the specs of your pickup this is pointless, tickle the red IS the answer because some pickups won't tickle the red at 100% and some will at 20%.

Honestly without the specs of your pickup this is pointless, tickle the red IS the answer because some pickups won't tickle the red at 100% and some will at 20%.
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by specs. The technical specs of the pickups listed in my original post are easily obtainable online, but more to the point, they are common pickup models that lots of folks here are using and yet they don't seem to have trouble tickling the red with them. I typically keep about 1/8" of space between the strings and the top of the pickups (when fretted at the last fret) on all my humbucker-equipped guitars, except for EMGs which I keep closer to the strings.

I agree that "tickle the red" is the answer, but I can't make my Axe-FX II do this, even at 100% Instrument input level, and this problem isn't guitar-dependent since I've tried with five different ones (actually, six: I just tried my Gibson '57 Historic re-issue Goldtop with 490R/498T pickups). I also tried two different instrument cables: a Snap Jack cable and a Monster cable. I know that the red LEDs are functional because they light up when the system boots up.

:?

Last edited:
Stupid question. I use AES ins coming from pod HD Pro. Short of maxing the mixer in the HD what can i adjust to tickle the red?

Stupid question. I use AES ins coming from pod HD Pro. Short of maxing the mixer in the HD what can i adjust to tickle the red?

What kind of red do you want to tickle? 8)

The red tickling talked about here concerns trimming the analog level into the AD converter. Using AES you are already in the digital domain.

If I have Instr In in the I/O set at 50% and Input Trim set at 2.000, is that the same thing as Instr In set at 100% and Input Trim set at 1.000, or 25% and 4.0?

On my PRS 245 ..( SeymourDuncans on it SH-6 bridge positions)..even if I turn all the way up to 100%
it`s not tickle the red...it`s something wrong..?

For me tickle the red means that I only see red slightly on the input meters when I strum as hard as I can on the low strings (i.e. G,A power chords) which is what normally generates the most guitar input anywhere on the guitar neck. That's why I'm puzzled as to why I have to have my input set so high (100%) for my humbucker equipped guitars (my dc127 has carvin C22 humbucker pickups which are considered fairly hot).

Low output SSS strats, 100% in AxeFxII (same with AxeFx Standard and Ultra). No way to make it "tickle the red" but it's not necessary as long as it sounds great and the whole dynamic range is there (which is the most important imho anyway), and it's all there...

No, both Input 1 Mode and Input 2 Mode are set to Left Only. Factory settings...

Mine is set the same way, but both the L and R LEDs light up on input 1. Does that seem right? I've seen videos where only the L LED is lighting for people.

And yes, I have to max the input trim to 100% for all of my humbucker equipped guitars and the reds only light if I strum extremely hard.

Last edited:
Mine is set the same way, but both the L and R LEDs light up on input 1. Does that seem right? I've seen videos where only the L LED is lighting for people.

And yes, I have to max the input trim to 100% for all of my humbucker equipped guitars and the reds only light if I strum extremely hard.

I believe that is normal for the Axe-fx II. The Ultra didn't IIRC.

For firmware prior to 6, I had my 1981 LP Custom and 2003 Standard at 45%. Starting with firmware 6, I had to reduce it to 40% since everything seemed to be set hotter. I also had to reduce output level on most pre 6 patches to get them under the red. Everything seems to sound much better overall after doing that.

I had to do the exact same thing with my Strats-both SC and HB's. Like it better also,

Better question: But does it sound and feel good to you? That's what matters, I really don't care what color I see, I want the sound not a lightshow :)

My Gibson: 40% . My Tele: 100%. My Strat: 60%...
I just set it at 40% and leave it there.

There's really no need to adjust for every guitar when playing with a band.
It optimizes the signal-to-noise ratio and has no impact at all on signal level / gain / tone.

I see no use for input presets or a database..

+1... I set it for the hottest guitar and leave it. Thats the whole point of different guitars to me... Different sound, level etcetc

What kind of red do you want to tickle? 8)

The red tickling talked about here concerns trimming the analog level into the AD converter. Using AES you are already in the digital domain.

I said it was a stupid question! Cranking the mixer on the HDPro will get me closer to the red. I realize that normally it is just signal to DA, but with HDPRO on defaults I rarely light up more than 2 led bars?

I haven't even touched the input levels, I just adjust the master volume/drive in the patch according to the guitar I'm playing.

Are there any disadvantages to this?

My Gibson: 40% . My Tele: 100%. My Strat: 60%...
I just set it at 40% and leave it there.

There's really no need to adjust for every guitar when playing with a band.

I see no use for input presets or a database..
Is that what most people do? Are some of you changing the setting every time you change guitars on stage?

Back
Top Bottom