I need your thoughts....

In "preset" mode, I have IA buttons on switches 1 and 6, scene switches on buttons 2-5 and 7-10 and preset buttons on switches 11-15.

You need to set the option for "first preset switch" (as labelled in MFC-EDIT), which I am pretty certain is available only on mkIII).
See my edit above.

See my edit above.
:)

I think we were posting at the same time... And I was trying to find it in the manual, too. Which is why I mentioned MFC-EDIT - I had to fire it up to find the setting!

IMO this setting is a huge win for the mkIII.

:)

I think we were posting at the same time... And I was trying to find it in the manual, too. Which is why I mentioned MFC-EDIT - I had to fire it up to find the setting!

IMO this setting is a huge win for the mkIII.
Eh. I dunno about "huge" but it's a feature difference.

It's true......The Mk III does something that the Mk I/II can't

And it would be very welcome for me.

Somewhat off topic but how can someone have several different button layouts? I’m not finding any way to have lets say IA13 control a chorus on one patch and then control say a drive on another patch. Am I right that once the MFC is set one way(IA button layout) it can only be changed via reprogramming it? Is there a way in a live performance to have multiple IA layouts? If not I’m thinking this pedal might be a bit limiting in that regard.

And relevant to the OPs question.

I was in this same situation. Purchasing a Mk II when the Mk III was announced. We were all told that the only difference was the 'FAS-Link' connector and 'silent' switches. And the software will develop exactly the same. So I saved some money and got the Mk II. Then a firmware was announced that added a the above feature that was being wished for by myself and others. But it was only possible on the Mk III units..........:(

Had I known that the Mk III software was capable of more features than the Mk I/II units, I would have gone that route. I only use scenes during songs and would love to have the bottom row as scenes, the second row as presets, the third row as 'IA' switches. I have had some train wrecks due to not remembering to hit the 'Reveal' switch.....:confused:

I wished for an option to make 'Reveal' mode the default. You press 'Reveal' to select a Bank/Preset, once you select a preset, it automatically goes back to 'Reveal' mode......... but no love....:oops:

Somewhat off topic but how can someone have several different button layouts? I’m not finding any way to have lets say IA13 control a chorus on one patch and then control say a drive on another patch. Am I right that once the MFC is set one way(IA button layout) it can only be changed via reprogramming it? Is there a way in a live performance to have multiple IA layouts? If not I’m thinking this pedal might be a bit limiting in that regard.

You can use a wildcard IA
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/wildcard.84593/

There is a work-around where you assign that switch to 'None' and program it to a CC# that corresponds to an external controller. Then you can attach the bypass mode (or any other modifiable parameter) to that external controller on a per-preset basis. This was a standard thing before the addition of scenes. Search 'Wildcard' for more info........

Edit.......too slow....:oops:

There is a work-around where you assign that switch to 'None' and program it to a CC# that corresponds to an external controller. Then you can attach the bypass mode (or any other modifiable parameter) to that external controller on a per-preset basis. This was a standard thing before the addition of scenes. Search 'Wildcard' for more info........

Edit.......too slow....:oops:

Is the wild card option for only one IA switch per patch or could it be done with multiple buttons?

And thanks all for your replies.

You can't have different IA layouts per preset. Wildcard is option others have mentioned. Alternatively, if you aren't using chorus and drive in the same preset you can assign the IAs CC# to both chorus and drive and it'll toggle both. I have one IA toggle chorus and flanger because I never have both in any preset I build.

Is the wild card option for only one IA switch per patch or could it be done with multiple buttons?
You can have as many wildcard IAs as we have external controllers in the unit. So: 12.

Using all 12, for different things in every preset, will be hellishly hard to remember in a live situation IMHO.

You can't have different IA layouts per preset. Wildcard is option others have mentioned. Alternatively, if you aren't using chorus and drive in the same preset you can assign the IAs CC# to both chorus and drive and it'll toggle both. I have one IA toggle chorus and flanger because I never have both in any preset I build.

Thats smart. If flange is present then it comes on if its not present then it doesn’t. Same with the chorus. A guy should be able to do that on any button right?

And thanks all for your replies.
I used to use two. One for 'per preset' effects and one as a solo switch (engaged the drive, delay, and filter blocks etc.........)

Thats smart. If flange is present then it comes on if its not present then it doesn’t. Same with the chorus. A guy should be able to do that on any button right?
You can over-subscribe CC#s beyond 2, but it can get confusing when building presets to remember, "oh, I can't have drive 2, chorus1 and flanger 1 in the same preset because I use one IA to toggle all three". This works as long as there are CC#s available for the specific blocks you want to toggle.

You can over-subscribe CC#s beyond 2, but it can get confusing when building presets to remember, "oh, I can't have drive 2, chorus1 and flanger 1 in the same preset because I use one IA to toggle all three". This works as long as there are CC#s available for the specific blocks you want to toggle.

I think thats the case. I went from the Axe FX to the Helix and now I’m back to it because of the superior sound quality of the Axe. Helix makes things quite a bit easier to program the foot pedal but I thought it just sounded OK. I did end up playing more with the Helix because of the limited parameters. When I originally had the Axe prior to getting the Helix I got lost in the parameters every time I sat down because of the raw power and tweakability. I’ve now promised myself not to go deep edit with the Axe unless absolutely necessary so I can do more music and less tweaking.

I guess its the same with the MFC. Keep it simple stupid. Additionally I can load up the MFC with different setups per gig and not sweat it.

Back
Top Bottom