I need to buy a new Mac

AlGrenadine

Legend!
Vendor
Hi mates,
My mac-mini is dying and produces bad apps crashing even if the code has no bug... I guess it has defective ram or hdd... And takes 30 minutes to build fracpad ...
So i'm done with it.

I'd need a mac without screen nor keyboard nor mouse, as i use my pc keyboard /mouse/ screen with a kvm.
I just need a robust and fast mac with a ssd, a core i5/i7 fast enough to build in 5 minutes...
But i don't have $2000 to put in a machine used just for compiling an app...
What would you recommend?

Can you wait? There's an Apple event next week, on the 30th, and speculation is the Minis will be refreshed. They're long over due.

Otherwise, I still think a used cheese grater MacPro is a worthy dev box. You can upgrade the CPUs to fairly new, multi-core CPUs and most newer graphics cards will also work with support for Metal and whatnot.

Can you wait? There's an Apple event next week, on the 30th, and speculation is the Minis will be refreshed. They're long over due.

Otherwise, I still think a used cheese grater MacPro is a worthy dev box. You can upgrade the CPUs to fairly new, multi-core CPUs and most newer graphics cards will also work with support for Metal and whatnot.
Yes a mac mini would be perfect if powerful enough :)

If you don't mind not being 'official', there is always the hackintosh route. But yes, definately wait due to the upcoming event. If anything, it may drive the prices of other exsting mac products down a bit.

However it Is Apple and it Wont be cheap. Sure there may be a $700 model but as always to get one that is reasonably speced it will be $999 and up. Oh you want a 500gb SSD well thats an extra $300. A 1TB SSD you say? add $700. Sure add some ram 16gb for $200 more and $600 for 32gb. Wait you want to upgrade it your self? Sorry glued shut.

Last edited:
However it Is Apple and it Wont be cheap. Sure there may be a $700 model but as always to get one that is reasonably speced it will be $999 and up. Oh you want a 500gb SSD well thats an extra $300. A 1TB SSD you say? add $700. Sure add some ram 16gb for $200 more and $600 for 32gb. Wait you want to upgrade it your self? Sorry glued shut.
Yes, if they're upgradeable, which is not sure.
2014 mac minis couldn't upgrade their ram, soldered on mb

Ok Apple announced new mac minis : 8GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, core i3 => $799

...lol
Ok i keep my €350 500 GB SSD core i5 8GB ram...

Back
Top Bottom