I need some education...

torkolort

Inspired
A little background:

I have very little experience with amps and gear. I have owned a Mesa Boogie Nomad 55, which never gave me the sound I wanted (I'm a Petrucciholic). First of all I guess that particular amp was not the right choice. Secondly I had no idea how to tweak it. After that I tried a Line6 PodXT which worked better for me because I could download patches from others. Still I was not satisfied because it didn't sound "real" enough. Then I finally got the Axe-Fx 8 months ago, and I'm confident this is one of the best purchases I've ever done :) I knew I was not technically qualified for this device, but when I heard the samples people had uploaded I just insta-bought it :p Even though it's hard for me to use it, I'm really really satisfied!

So after 8 months of confusion I think it's time I figured out a couple of things, that I've been too embarrassed to ask before :oops: Obviously, I have learned a lot since I got it, but I'm just barely scratching the surface. It may seem unreal to you that I even need to ask such questions, but though I've played guitar for many years, I've just never had the urge to understand the technical aspects of amps and sound. I kinda know my way around the "Basic" page of the amp block, but the "Advanced" and "Amp Geek" I've never even touched because I have no idea what those parameters mean. I have done a lot of researching both on the forum and in the wiki, and I've figured out a lot that way, and on my own. But the problem is that it's often hard for me to understand the answers, because I'm still not used to the terminology. Please keep this in mind...

- I've downloaded many different patches from other users, and some of them are real tight and perfect for rhythm parts. Other patches are not that tight, have more noise and is more difficult to play. How is this tightness achieved?
- Lead patches that sound good on the high notes, tend to sound over processed on the lower notes, often ends up clipping. I've heard that many use basically the same patch for leads as they use for rhythm, only adding a little delay and reverb. That's something I've not managed to do.
- Some lead patches are easy to play, while others are harder and require more force from the left hand. How do you achieve a good lead tone with a lot of gain without drowning in hiss?
- Does the dB level in the amp block color the sound in any way?

I'm sure I have a lot of more questions, but this is all I can think of right now. If anyone would be kind enough to help me, it would be greatly appreciated :)

"I have very little experience with amps and gear."
This is not necessarily a hindrance. At this point in time my entire guitar reproduction world has become the Axe. I can easily imagine a player learning everything they need to know with only the Axe as reference. In fact I can see a lot of advantages to evolving that way. There are a whole lot of frustrating, time wasting (and expensive) paths you will never have to tread down.

" I have owned a Mesa Boogie Nomad 55, which never gave me the sound I wanted (I'm a Petrucciholic)."
Just remember, no amp will give you the sounds approximating your favorite recordings without at least some supporting gear and highly experienced ears. More importantly you and I could both plug into Mr. Petrucci's rig and we would both sound very different from each other and from him... ...and that's the beauty of it. It's fun and productive to emulate existing sounds that we like but don't be afraid to start creating your own voice.

"Secondly I had no idea how to tweak it."
Pardon me in advance. I don't mean to sound flip. With any given (?)real(?) amp:
Step #1: Plug in and turn amp on.
Step #2: Twiddle the dials until something comes out that you like.
Step #3: If it requires too much twiddling for your tastes try a different amp.
The Axe, while appearing complex, still kind of boils down to steps #1 #2 and #3. You've got to put your time in twiddling and listening.
Oh yeah...
Step #4 (and/or step #1): Learn to play real well (whatever that means to you). The bulk of your experience in music will come from the degree of integrity in your heart and hands, not your gear. Having your gear in order is a meaningful part of the picture, but not the biggest part. This is frightfully important. I have had countless students that use gear and tone frustration as a scapegoat for creative frustration, sonic burnout, laziness, etc.

"After that I tried a Line6 PodXT which worked better for me because I could download patches from others. Still I was not satisfied because it didn't sound "real" enough."
I have owned several Line 6 products. They never sounded (?)real(?) enough to me either.

"I knew I was not technically qualified for this device..."
I recommend not thinking this way. The flexibility and open ended nature of this device can appear intimidating. But just because "x" amount of stuff is in there doesn't mean you have to use all of "x" or even know how to use all of "x". Ultimately you don't even have to understand "x", unless you want to build the damn thing. Keep it simple, especially at first, and especially in the middle of your learning curve, and especially once you think you're good at it.

"I've been too embarrassed to ask before"
Never be too embarrassed to ask... ...if someone had convinced me of that when I was 13 my closet and I wouldn't have gotten to know each other quite so well :D ...but I digress...

"...but the "Advanced" and "Amp Geek" I've never even touched because I have no idea what those parameters mean."
Try not to get hung up in the semantics and word/drugs. Start a loop going (or just put a capo on your guitar at different frets and strum) and slowly dial any given parameter from all the way one way to all the way the other and listen. The word/label/definition means nothing if you can't hear the difference. If you can hear the difference then the word/label/definition is not necessary unless you want to speak about the experience with someone else. It seems to me this is where you need to change your head.
P.S. If you can't hear the difference in a given parameter (many are subtle) then leave that one at default for now and come back to it next week, next month, next year, or never. It is possible to dial in very enjoyable tone with just the basic controls.

"I have done a lot of researching both on the forum and in the wiki, and I've figured out a lot that way, and on my own. But the problem is that it's often hard for me to understand the answers, because I'm still not used to the terminology. Please keep this in mind..."
See previous paragraph... ears+time... ...and when you get frustrated or stuck use things like this forum to effectively "borrow" other peoples ears+time
Reiterate: ears first - terminology and technical understanding second

"I've downloaded many different patches from other users, and some of them are real tight and perfect for rhythm parts. Other patches are not that tight, have more noise and is more difficult to play"
Always allow for the variable of different speakers/environments. Be careful of judgement in patch sharing land.

"How is this tightness achieved?"
Too vague. Impossible to answer.

"Some lead patches are easy to play, while others are harder and require more force from the left hand. How do you achieve a good lead tone with a lot of gain without drowning in hiss?"
Sorry, high gain is a mystery to me.

"Does the dB level in the amp block color the sound in any way?"
I believe it's neutral dB level. Remember that any change in dB level will radically alter your perception of the sound.

"I'm sure I have a lot of more questions, but this is all I can think of right now."
Best advice I can offer:
Play more and tweak less (unless you enjoy tweaking more than you enjoy playing in which case get an engineering degree and have even more fun!). Endless, obsessive tweaking can, in my opinion, do serious harm to your musical innards. The more you are enjoying your playing and overall musical growth the more likely you are to enjoy what you are getting out of your rig.

Hope This Helps!

Back
Top Bottom