I need pedalboard help!

Gasp100

Power User
For all of my years gigging I have never really used much of a pedalboard. Now with the AX8 of course everything is right there in front. But, I've decided I want to go back to wireless because instead of continuing to pay my sound guy now that I have all of the settings for my digital board I'll be setting up mixes pre-show and tweaking a bit via iPad.
I tried to step out front while playing during first song last night (no sound person) and it was extremely clumsy, almost knocked over my mic stand, etc... and I never did get a full spectrum of the mix. Someone took some iPhone video and it actually sounded great, but I obsess over the FOH sound every gig.
Plus I just like the freedom of wireless so much more.
I wanted to keep the foot print small (AX8 by itself) but now I feel with an additional pedal that will require power I need a better solution so everything is contained. I also want a bag that can handle the AX8, wireless AND a Mission pedal and power it all. For shows I simply want to run a 1/4" or XLR out and a single power cable back to the system.
So, what do I need to accomplish my goals (and I'll start saving today):
Pedal based wireless - Shure? I'd love something that is simple and not super expensive. The L6 G50 was fine, but I think a pedal based one makes more sense now? = ???
Pedal board / Bag - I'd love to grab a simple PT Junior but will it be big enough / tall enough with the AX8? Remember, a nice bag with padding and outside pocket for cables, etc... is a HUGE plus.
Expression - I love the Mission pedals and I see them used for about $100. I'd love a smaller foot print because I only use WAH infrequently but I would use expression for feeding in delay or reverb mix, volume swells, etc.. in some instances.
Power - I guess I have to bite the bullet and get power. What about those lithium powered packs? Would that be strong enough for the AX8? Probably not. So which power supply???

This is not going to be cheap, in my estimation we may be talking upwards of $500?
What do you think?

I think that sounds like a great plan. Here is what I just put together yesterday.
This is a Pedal Train PT-2 with a Mission SP2 and a Shure GLXD16. All the wiring and power is attached underneath the board. I simply need to plug in an extension cable for power. I have 2x40 ft humbuster 1/4" cables going back to my amp and cab via Output 2. Then Output 1 XLR Left to front of house. It was NOT cheap. This will be a compliment to my Axe 2 and MFC. It's likely this will become my main rig though, as I like it's flexibility.

EDIT: I'm also struggling to pull the plastic off the screen. Every time I start to do it, I stop myself..... I need help :)
Untitled by Michael Bruton, on Flickr

Last edited:
A lot of people here including myself are moving to the Shure GLXD 16, small, compact, rechargeable battery, built in tuner, metal and construction. There are a few good pedalboard units out there but this one seems to be the best. I started a thread Pedalboard wireless units for some more info. I found the best deal on ebay at $389 shipped! just waiting on my AX8 invite to complete my board.

That's pretty much exactly what I envision but I would want my expression pedal on the right side. I much prefer a bag vs. a case for the possibility of pockets for cables and such. I normally bring the PA, lights, etc... so I have to try and travel really light.

I think that sounds like a great plan. Here is what I just put together yesterday.
This is a Pedal Train PT-2 with a Mission SP2 and a Shure GLXD16. All the wiring and power is attached underneath the board. I simply need to plug in an extension cable for power. I have 2x40 ft humbuster 1/4" cables going back to my amp and cab via Output 2. Then Output 1 XLR Left to front of house. It was NOT cheap. This will be a compliment to my Axe 2 and MFC. It's likely this will become my main rig though, as I like it's flexibility.

EDIT: I'm also struggling to pull the plastic off the screen. Every time I start to do it, I stop myself..... I need help :)
Untitled by Michael Bruton, on Flickr

Yikes, I just added up the overall cost for a similar rig, looks to come in around $800... I think I will stick with my current setup for now.

Yeah its not cheap. I had the board and the Mission pedal already. The wireless and the cabling did add up though.

I bought PT fly it is 22x14.5 perfect size for what you want. It not a pt2 or novo 24 are what you want. Get a used g50 and a used mission if you don't have one. That will all be less than $800

I use a pedaltrain 2 (pic below) image.jpeg

If I use a wireless, I usually just attach it to the top right of the pedaltrain with some gaff tape and use a Mogami patch cable to go from the wireless to the Ax8. (line 6 G30). I then use a power strip to power the Ax8 and the wireless unit. It sounds like you're not planning on mounting everything to a board, and instead just planning to hook everything up at the gig. Attaching the wireless like I do adds maybe 1 minute tops to my setup time and keeps it off the floor and away from errant feet or overzealous band mates.

The G30 is a good budget wireless. Not the best sounding out there, but good enough for a bar/cover gig. Most high end corporate gigs I do out in LA usually are back lined by SIR and sometimes they provide a wireless for the guitar which I'll use instead. All the above fits in a pedaltrain 2 bag.

You can also replace my "talent boost" with any of the line 6 receivers and they'll fit in place. A little may stick off the top but I'm not a picky person. Throw in an expression pedal of your choice and you'd be easily running under $400 with that solution.

Back
Top Bottom