I Need Help With My Preset Layout/Organization

I use by XL+ in 2 different settings on a normal basis. First, I run it into a power amp and a pair of cabs. This is usually for live gigs and for practice around the house. Next, I run it direct via usb for recording. For this of you who do this, what is your best suggestion for preset layout/organization? Do you build a preset with a cab block available and use a different scene to bring it in and out? Or, do you do a group of presets with cabs and a group without? Im just trying to streamline my workflow as much as possible.
Thanks,
Steve

I would use a completely different set of presets. If you use scenes, then that makes it difficult to switch between presets if you are say, going direct and the cab-enabled version is always on Scene 2. The drawback of using separate presets is that it can be a bit of a chore maintenance-wise, especially if you are into tweaking your presets frequently and/or you have alot of presets. But judicious use of global blocks could help you there.
-
Austin

Typically I would recommend what Atquinn said mainly because of the major sonic differences between FRFR (usb) & a guitar cab. But just for shits and giggles, here's a few other ideas that you could try...

1) Use an EQ block at the end of your chain that counteracts the effect your cab has on the tone (or USB depending on which one you like) and then enable / disable it depending on what you are using at the time.

2) If the sound of the axe going through your cab is what you like... Mic it up and tone match it!

My setup is similar.

In most cases I build presets that utilize an FXL block to go to the power amp and physical cabinet, as well as a CAB block. The simplest way to route this is just to put the FXL before CAB in a single row, but this has some limitations. In general you can split the signal after the AMP block (etc.) and have a row for recording that goes to the end of the grid and a row leading to the FXL block

If my intention is to have the signal off the grid (the recording signal) approximate the sound I hear in the room, I use an IR I shot of my physical cabinet in the CAB block.

I copy my FRFR presets (since that is the type I usually create new sounds in) then remove the cab block, delete the last block that connects to the output of the grid and put an FX Loop block after all other blocks.
Then adjust the amp characteristics to suite the new power amp/cab paradigm.

I use Output 2 volume on the front of the AxeFx to control the volume to the power amp/cab...Output 1, obviously, is to the pair of FRFR cabs. So I can switch back and forth between FRFR and 'real cab' presets seamlessly.

I don't try to make the two types of the 'same presets' sound the same, although some do end up that way by virtue of the real cabs I use matching up with a few of the AxeFx ir's.

I copy my FRFR presets (since that is the type I usually create new sounds in) then remove the cab block, delete the last block that connects to the output of the grid and put an FX Loop block after all other blocks.
Then adjust the amp characteristics to suite the new power amp/cab paradigm.

I use Output 2 volume on the front of the AxeFx to control the volume to the power amp/cab...Output 1, obviously, is to the pair of FRFR cabs. So I can switch back and forth between FRFR and 'real cab' presets seamlessly.

I don't try to make the two types of the 'same presets' sound the same, although some do end up that way by virtue of the real cabs I use matching up with a few of the AxeFx ir's.

This*
However my overall layout of my presets is a disaster. Every time I go to clean up and organize my presets I get distracted and play my guitar for two hours...unhappy!

Don't forget what sounds great live, won't necessarily sound any good once mixed in a recording with all the other instruments and guitars.
So I would suggest a completely separate set of presets.
I initially copied all my go to presets for our tracks, copied them to a empty bank then I added 'Rec' in front of the name.
I also added a looper at the front so I could record a section and keep my hands free for adjustments.
Just remember a guitar is essentially a 'Mid' instrument, cut the bass and treble, or they will get in the way of the other instruments.

Don't forget what sounds great live, won't necessarily sound any good once mixed in a recording with all the other instruments and guitars.
So I would suggest a completely separate set of presets.
I initially copied all my go to presets for our tracks, copied them to a empty bank then I added 'Rec' in front of the name.
I also added a looper at the front so I could record a section and keep my hands free for adjustments.
Just remember a guitar is essentially a 'Mid' instrument, cut the bass and treble, or they will get in the way of the other instruments.

Yup, that's exactly what I did and why I did it on other modelers (that won't be named here) and why I've continued that process with my Axe. Damn you Fletcher and Munsen... wherever you bastards are.

Ahh the constant plight of an axe fx user.... are you are guitarist or a sound engineer? Which hat are you wearing today? lol.
Right?!
Truth is I would much rather erase all presets and have a super organized preset list, but I show off my AxefxII to SO many people that I just haven't gotten around to it! Sometimes it's fun to scroll around the 200s for some inspiration but now, I just download a Simeon preset and there goes two hours.

About a year or so ago, it seemed that a lot of Axe Fx users, me included, used a filter block with with a slight mid boost at the end of the chain to counteract Fletcher-Munson when playing live. Sort of the same principle as what you're after. The easiest way to do this was to use an External Controller and set different start value. So in the Block you want to enable/disable, click on the external modifier for bypass mode and set it to External Controller 12 (make sure you pick something you're not using for anything else). Repeat this on all presets. On the front-panel on the Axe Fx, go to I/O -> Midi and scroll to the bottom. You can now toggle the "EXT CTRL 12 INIT VAL" between 0% and 100% (off or on) and this will enable/disable all blocks that use this External controller. So at home, toggle the External Controller to on or off, and do the opposite when you play live/record with USB.

Thank you all for the replies. It seems that the split set of presets is the most logical. I think I am going to try the first 100 as the tube amp/guitar cabinet combination, and 101-200 as USB recording presets. Now, I am sure that will get COMPLETELY screwed as soon as we start rehearsals.

Just a suggestion, if you use Axe-Edit, it may be more logical to use the first 128 for tube amp/guitar and the 129 thru 256 for USB recording presets.

This way the first will be Bank A, and the 2nd Bank B, and they will be in similar slot locations, as viewed on your computer monitor.

If you don't use Axe-Edit, the way you showed is probably more logical.

Back
Top Bottom