I need help with my Axe-Fx III USB Recording setup

From the manual...

Attachments

• 97A37F83-07C5-4E9B-92B1-8E0EF2FA63BD.jpeg
    97A37F83-07C5-4E9B-92B1-8E0EF2FA63BD.jpeg
    209.2 KB · Views: 179
Are you on a Mac?

You need to google "creating an aggregate device"

Your computer has inputs (probably a mic) and outputs (its built in speakers). The AXE III is an 8x8 USB device.

What you need is to meld them together to create a virtual device that has all of those ins and outs.

In that way, when you open your DAW and choose the Aggregate device, you will be able to put audio, or receive audio from either source (computer or Axe) and send it to either device.

Without the Aggregate Device, your DAW probably chose the AXE III as the sound source, and you need to be able to also have your computer speakers - you probably don't actually need the built in mic of your computer to be included in your Aggregate device, but you can figure that out yourself.

Are you on a Mac?

You need to google "creating an aggregate device"

Your computer has inputs (probably a mic) and outputs (its built in speakers). The AXE III is an 8x8 USB device.

What you need is to meld them together to create a virtual device that has all of those ins and outs.

In that way, when you open your DAW and choose the Aggregate device, you will be able to put audio, or receive audio from either source (computer or Axe) and send it to either device.

Without the Aggregate Device, your DAW probably chose the AXE III as the sound source, and you need to be able to also have your computer speakers - you probably don't actually need the built in mic of your computer to be included in your Aggregate device, but you can figure that out yourself.
This isn't about multiple interfaces, it's about directing the return USB to Output 2 instead of 1.

an aggregate device isn't multiple interfaces
By definition an aggregate is a collection of multiple things. So what are the multiple things in this case?

I'm not a Mac user but every single time I have seen aggregate devices mentioned it has been in the context of multiple interfaces.

Hello, I'm having trouble trying to figure this out as well (what the original posters problem was) -- separating the 2 outputs.
Any help would be greatly appreciated - Thanks!

In your DAW, select AXE FX as the audio device. Then on the output channel selection pick outputs 3/4. This will route it to physical Output-2. By default, your DAW is probably choosing outputs 1/2 which goes to physical Output-1.

In your DAW, select AXE FX as the audio device. Then on the output channel selection pick outputs 3/4. This will route it to physical Output-2. By default, your DAW is probably choosing outputs 1/2 which goes to physical Output-1.
Thanks! Tried it and I only get sound out of the right speaker/headphone. -- hmmm??

Make sure your DAW track is stereo - and you need to choose a stereo output pair 3-4 (don’t choose either 3 or 4). Channel 3 is left and channel 4 is right.

Make sure your DAW track is stereo - and you need to choose a stereo output pair 3-4 (don’t choose either 3 or 4). Channel 3 is left and channel 4 is right.

Thanks for taking the time to help man :) , really appreciate it.
Below are all my possible options for output outs - I can only select one for First and Last in the output range.

These are all the Reaper options I have for Output -

Output range:
First:
1: OUT 1 [Out 1 L]
2: OUT 2 [Out 1 R]
3: OUT 3 [Out 2 L]
4: OUT 4 [Out 2 R]
5: OUT 5 [In 1 Block L]
6: OUT 6 [In 1 Block R]
7: OUT 7 [In U Block L]
8: OUT 8 [In U Block R]

Last:

Thanks for taking the time to help man :) , really appreciate it.
Below are all my possible options for output outs - I can only select one for First and Last in the output range.

These are all the Reaper options I have for Output -

Output range:
First:

Last:
You are in the settings screen for Reaper, but not a specific track there......set the Out 1 as first, and out 8 as last.
Then you need to set the specific outs as mentioned above, but that needs to be done for a specific track using the software, not in the main settings screen where you set the range. Just click on the I\O button for your track to add the appropriate sends.

Last edited:
You are in the settings screen for Reaper, but not a specific track there......set the Out 1 as first, and out 8 as last.
Then you need to set the specific outs as mentioned above, but that needs to be done for a specific track using the software, not in the main settings screen where you set the range. Just click on the I\O button for your track to add the appropriate sends.
Ok, I set the Out 1 as first, and out 8 as last, went on the track into the I/O and selected "Add new hardware output" and clicked the
"OUT 3 [Out 2 L] and Last / OUT 4 [Out 2 R]" option and its all still tied to Out 1 control knob. -- sorry, I must be really dumb or something.
What am I missing here? -- Thanks for all your help guys.

Ok, I set the Out 1 as first, and out 8 as last, went on the track into the I/O and selected "Add new hardware output" and clicked the
"OUT 3 [Out 2 L] and Last / OUT 4 [Out 2 R]" option and its all still tied to Out 1 control knob. -- sorry, I must be really dumb or something.
What am I missing here? -- Thanks for all your help guys.
I’m not at the pc right now, but while you’re in the I/O menu, look to the top of the box, and I think there is a check box for the default outs 1 and two, which I think you want to uncheck.

Back
Top Bottom