I need help. Going nuts. Share your ideas.

Is there anyone able to handle this hearing change from venue to venue with a good price/performance in-ears? 300-400 dollars for example?

If you go to the "Dutch Axe Fest Video Thread" theres a pro player on the video doing a demo who talks about using in ears extensively at different venues just going direct with his AFII, Anand I think his name is.

Have you ever tried playing through IRs captured in the far field? These produce a tone that is more similar to what you hear from a real cab than what you can get from a close miked IR, although I won't claim that the full experience is the same (more like an approximation of a cab's tone if your head were fixed at a specific position away from the cab). I like the way they sound (some of them, at least. Some sound like fart ;)) and use them in nearly all of my patches.

I have been capturing some of these in my free time over the past few months. If you're interested in trying something a bit different, I think the best I have made so far are these ones here: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...e-far-field-irs-marshall-1960av-v30-4x12.html

Maybe a solution - maybe not, but I don't like close miked IRs much and it works for me :)

Last edited:
Have a word with Clarky, who you will sometimes find on this forum. He is based in the UK, and does European gigs travelling on budget airlines, with his Axe FX as hand luggage. As I understand it he builds all of his patches to suit a Marshall 4x12 because this is the cabinet that a venue is most likely to be able to provide.

Now I'm not in his league, but I use a similar approach: build your patches for the speakers that you are going to get given. My band put the instruments through the PA. One of the PAs we use has Mackie 450s. Yes, they are not the best suited to FRFR, but that's what we have to work with, so that's what my patches are built for.

An option but, it isn't powered, is a DV Mark 1x12 cabinet. Under 20 pounds and small enough to carry on a plane. You would just need your power amp of choice with the Axe.

If you go to the "Dutch Axe Fest Video Thread" theres a pro player on the video doing a demo who talks about using in ears extensively at different venues just going direct with his AFII, Anand I think his name is.

I watched the whole video, really helpful for some stuff. Again it showed me "simple is the best", but he didn't talk that much about "in-ears" :(

"Boost the mids. Try turning AIR to 5892hz 20-100% in the cab block. Works for a lot of amps"

What does this do, how did you come up with a magic number of 5892hz?

Yes. Really? What's that?

Okey, this is something I know from Palmer speaker emulators (one of the brands I also work for). Basically it's a certain amount of unprocessed direct signal (frequency knob is just a variable low pass filter) that can be mixed together with the cabinet sound, I often use this between 6000 - 8000Hz with an amount of 20-30% (even higher on the first gen of AxeFx).

This make the cab tones more real IMO...

I've never been able to use FRFR on stage. My FOH is cab sim - one that I worked on a long time to tweak to match my favorite old Marshall cab, and on stage is no cab sim out of the Axe running into a Carvin stereo pwr amp into, well, my favorite old Marshall cab. I found that it's well worth it to find one cab IR (or mix IR) and adjust the amps to work with it rather than switch amps and cab IR's - it just gets out of hand... Especially when you want the confidence that what is coming out of FOH is *very* similar to what you hear coming out of your guitar cab on stage. There simply is no replacement for an actual 4x12 (or whatever *real* guitar cab you use) for that punch and sound on stage feeding your ears...
I've also used the power amp section of my Splawn and an all tube stereo 50W amp and though there is a diff between the tube amp and the solid state as far as response, I find it to be subtle once everything is kicked in and not worth hauling the extra weight around.

Hats off to the guys who can use FRFR and/or in-ears

what you are experiencing is being so married to the feel/vibe of the amp in the room/amp on stage experience. it's not about sound or tone....because i will almost guarantee you that your axe will sound far better foh and to your audience than the amp or axe + amp will. it's all about accepting and embracing that you are hearing what everyone else hears, and that is what is important. if you're waiting to vibe with it on stage like a cranked amp, it will never happen like that, it's not the same....

People say this quite a bit, as if somehow magically after months and months of gigging it's somehow going to click. I own both the Axe II and the Mark V and it's night and day difference. I love both and would not part with either, but the Mark gets the tones I'm after quick and live they sound right. With the Axe anything is possible in the bedroom, and for recording.

...how did you come up with a magic number of 5892hz?
I'm pretty sure he came up with that number by tweaking and listening. Dial it in until it sounds right. If that happens when you land on 5892 Hz, that's the number you go with.

Reactions: Cem
The quality of the frfr monitor system is incredibly important. If you have spent less then $1k on your floor monitor, it won't stack up next to a guitar amp.

Secondly, I personally add a healthy midrange boost at the back end of all my live patches. It helps to simulate that live loud real amp midrange push real amps have.

I have recently switched to $1200 ultimate ear in-ears and love the sound.

Good luck, I do remember a similar frustration early on in my axefx gigging.

Would you share your settings for such healthy midrnge boost ? Thanks a lot. I m interested in seing how to get this mid boost without get the sound "thinner".

Of course you don't change the amp, but you tweak the knobs. Don't you? :) Just play the same? :eek: If they are very different guitars, it wouldn't work i guess.

(

Different guitars sound different - thats the point of different guitars. If you use a real amp - all guitars sound different as well. You can change settings every time you change guitars, but how many do that.
Ultimately, with a single valve amp, you set it up for your main guitar, then use alternate guitars for different tones. If you need the same tone (say for use with a backup guitar) - then you need two guitars the same.

I use a Tele as my main guitar in my current band - but use a PRS CU22 and occasionally a 335 as alternates --- to get THAT flavour of tone for certain songs. They work fine through the same patch but dont sound the same. There not supposed to - they sound like the guitar they are, and in the context of the song I use them in the tone is fine.

Different guitars sound different - thats the point of different guitars. If you use a real amp - all guitars sound different as well. You can change settings every time you change guitars, but how many do that.
Ultimately, with a single valve amp, you set it up for your main guitar, then use alternate guitars for different tones. If you need the same tone (say for use with a backup guitar) - then you need two guitars the same.

I use a Tele as my main guitar in my current band - but use a PRS CU22 and occasionally a 335 as alternates --- to get THAT flavour of tone for certain songs. They work fine through the same patch but dont sound the same. There not supposed to - they sound like the guitar they are, and in the context of the song I use them in the tone is fine.

I'm not agreeing this. On a real cab and amp from what I hear it's okay, they sound different.

But different guitar same patch, doesn't sound different. It sounds bad.

Would you share your settings for such healthy midrnge boost ? Thanks a lot. I m interested in seing how to get this mid boost without get the sound "thinner".

Yek has posted my original Thread on the subject, but simply:

769hz at .35Q up +4db (parametric eq).

I've been experimenting with 666Hz lately with good results.

Back
Top Bottom