I Need Help From You All Axe Gurus - Using Axe-Fx II with EDP

Vinny Boombatz

Inspired
Hi All,

I'm usually a lurker, and don't post too much, but I've come across an issue with my set up that I hope that the knowledgeable can help with.

I am trying to get a good set up for using the Axe with 2x Echoplex Digital Pros for stereo looping. The idea is to lay down multiple "tracks" using different presets from Axe-Fx. So, I am running stereo out from the Axe using Output 1 into a Rane SM-82 stereo mixer, where the EDP is routed through the Rane effects loop (with 100% wet settings). There are several artifacts that I am experiencing, which may be due to any of the multiple components - noisy signal from EDP; lots of clipping with EDP (level of source?); which leads to low output signal of EDP.

My dream was to have a "guitar army" of different amps/profiles on a loop that I could use live. I know that the Axe looper is relatively short in duration, and I don't believe that it will let me run multiple profiles into it (while keeping the first loop's profile sound intact).

Does anyone else use the Axe-Fx for live looping? Has anyone else had any of these issues?

Thanks.

Wow!!

I could've written that post. I'm putting together exactly the same setup. I'm curious to read the replies.

Why the mixer?

You could use COPY OUT1 TO OUT 2, then you'll have independent level controls.

(Connect OUT2 to the EDP.)

Thanks Anakron - so you are saying run OUT2 into the EDP, but wouldn't I still need to mixer to re-combine the signals [OUT1 (native) and OUT2 (EDP)]? I wondered if the mixer loop was adding something to the path, and I like your suggestion. I need to read about the COPY bit (that's new to me).

Thanks, and keep 'em coming!

I think there may be a level mismatch somewhere, probably at the EDP input which is instrument level, isn't it? If it's switchable, it needs to be on line level +4db. If it isn't switchable, then the mixer is probably the best place for it to be, although do try all possible scenarios.

I think there may be a level mismatch somewhere, probably at the EDP input which is instrument level, isn't it? If it's switchable, it needs to be on line level +4db. If it isn't switchable, then the mixer is probably the best place for it to be, although do try all possible scenarios.
Thanks Simeon. From the EDP manual:

EDP Manual said:
Connect an audio source to the Echoplex’s back-panel Audio Input
jack with a standard guitar cord, or plug a high-impedance microphone
directly into the jack. The Echoplex Digital Pro can accept microphone level,
instrument-level, and line-level inputs (along with anything in between).

Ah ok. Still sounds like a level problem somewhere though. Try using out 2 to the edp's as suggested and then using the mixer to blend the two pairs of signals.

I've run an EDP with an Ultra (when I had the Ultra) - I haven't tried it with the II, IIRC. I didn't use a mixer - straight from Axe to EDP.

But what I had to do was to fiddle with both the input level on the EDP and the output of the Axe to get the right signal balance without artifacts.

I know that this doesn't help much, but after fiddling a while I was able to get a very acceptable sound - no clipping or hiss, balanced output when bypassed. I'll give it a try w/ my Axe II.

Back
Top Bottom