I Need A Shredder Guitar

A little pricey but very nice...

$(KGrHqN,!pME9o+dPjG8BPoSy)L8Ug~~48_20.JPG

How much do Jacksons usually go for? I am trying to stay within a tight budget. I spend stupid money on custom made Strats. lol

I was looking for other guitars, but I didn't see any. Of course, he could very well have had some others with him off stage--just in case. I thought it was a little weird. I am used to seeing him with those guitars and/or his Carvin signature model(s).

Great show (of course)! I hope he comes your way with this particular lineup. I think they are off to Europe now.

Look, I sidetracked my own thread! ;)

Anything that discusses AH can't be considered a sidetrack.

Sadly Allan hasn't toured Oz since Chad moved back to LA from Sydney - that was 7 or 8 years back. We got a few AH tours prior to that though. But so far there's no reason to believe he's coming on this tour.

:(

How about Satch 24 fret one?

I have my share of Ibanez so Im moving opposite way of you now... Need a strat and a Les Paul ;)

How about Satch 24 fret one?

I have my share of Ibanez so Im moving opposite way of you now... Need a strat and a Les Paul ;)

I was looking at the 24 fret Satriani guitar the other day, in fact. Part of me wants to get the 22 fret Satch and a 24 fret 25th Anniversary S guitar. We'll see.

I'm still on the lookout for a Satriani JS3, if you know anyone who has one for sale! :)

Top 3 guitars that I Own, JS1200, Schecter HellRaiser FR and a Suhr Modern. The Suhr blows them all away, the Schecter Hellraiser I did have SS fret's installed and a Gotoh Bridge, and now it's my 2nd favorite guitar, followed closely by the JS1200.

Say what you will about the pickups,I personally love them, but pickups can be changed. For my money, the JPs play better, faster, and easier than just about anything out there.

Couldn't agree more. I have an older one (probably six years or so) and it's the one guitar I'll never sell. I thought about it at one time to fund "higher end" monitors and felt like I was betraying a family member! Hahaha. Very versatile and easy to play.

Hummm.. Any guitar that is setup really good can shred. The question is whats your budget and what do you like the look of? Steinberger is a really guitar nice but they don't look shred, my vote goes to the Jackson but last time I looked at one it was close to 2K. Does it have to be a US or custom shop type of guitar? What about ESP LTD series, I bought a few off ebay used (MH 301) and they played great for a cheep guitar I did a pup swop and was still under $600. I later added a Floyd speed loader which added another $200+ but I had a really nice playing and looking guitar for under a grand.

Not sure if 22 frets is acceptable, but you may want to check out the Charvel San Dimas and So Cal models. I've played a number of Ibanez guitars over the years, but am gravitating away from the ultra thin necks lately. I have a made in Japan San Dimas I recently picked up in new condition for about $600 and the neck feels great. In fact, it feels a bit better than a USA model I tried. These models come with good Duncans or Dimarzios and play and sound great right from the factory. About the only negative thing I can think of is that the whammy bar is a bit rattly/loose, but a new bar would fix that quick and cheap.

I have a PRS Torero and rather like it. 24 frets with EMG 81's & 85's. Floyd trem is ok, but not amazing

Would that suit your budget..?

SETO.jpg

Suhr M5/M6/M7/M8 are Pro Series Moderns and retail around $2,400. I just picked up an M8 with a really nice top, incredible player and tone.

SuhrM8.jpg

Last edited:
This may seem like a very lame question, but what exactly is a "Shredder guitar?" Don't you need hands that can shred? Any guitar, set up properly and with good action can play fast.

jshirkey said:
I figured you were loving your JP. Do you think it's a pretty versatile guitar?

Absolutely. Watch my Every Axe-Fx Preset video if you wanna see its range. It does just about everything. The one sounds it can't nail is the neck pickup of a Strat. But that's about it.

This may seem like a very lame question, but what exactly is a "Shredder guitar?" Don't you need hands that can shred? Any guitar, set up properly and with good action can play fast.

For me, the neck shape, fingerboard radius, fretwire, and bridge type and setup all contribute to the ease of playing 3-note-per-string riffs :)

Richard

henryrobinett said:

If that were strictly true you'd see a lot more people shredding on ES-335s, Les Pauls, and Teles.

If that were strictly true you'd see a lot more people shredding on ES-335s, Les Pauls, and Teles.

Yes and no. I think it's a matter of influence and style. You tend to use what the people you're trying to emulate use, so it's a bit of self-perpetuation. John 5 uses Tele's for everything from country chicken pickin' to Rob Zombie and Marilyn Manson. You'd be hard pressed to find somebody who says he's not a shredder. You can shred on a Les Paul (Ace Frehley, Slash, etc..) but the single cutaway is a little harder to reach. Tons of jazz guys are shredding on ES-335's.

Edit: More on topic, I picked up a Charvel Desolation Soloist and that thing is a sweet little guitar. There were some minor things that needed touching up (rounded off the sharp corner on the nut, there was a burr on a tuning peg that was cutting strings) but it plays and sounds a LOT like my Custom ESP Horizon. It's a really sweet guitar for $650.

Anything that discusses AH can't be considered a sidetrack.

Sadly Allan hasn't toured Oz since Chad moved back to LA from Sydney - that was 7 or 8 years back. We got a few AH tours prior to that though. But so far there's no reason to believe he's coming on this tour.

:(

just saw AH about a month ago.with Jimmy Haslip and Virgil Donati.maybe Virg will drag Allan down to OZ.IIRC he played the Carvin.

as for shredding guitars,i have to agree with sixstring,any guitar set up properly will work.flatter neck radius will =easier fast runs.

Last edited:
Yes and no. I think it's a matter of influence and style. You tend to use what the people you're trying to emulate use, so it's a bit of self-perpetuation. John 5 uses Tele's for everything from country chicken pickin' to Rob Zombie and Marilyn Manson. You'd be hard pressed to find somebody who says he's not a shredder. You can shred on a Les Paul (Ace Frehley, Slash, etc..) but the single cutaway is a little harder to reach. Tons of jazz guys are shredding on ES-335's.

Edit: More on topic, I picked up a Charvel Desolation Soloist and that thing is a sweet little guitar. There were some minor things that needed touching up (rounded off the sharp corner on the nut, there was a burr on a tuning peg that was cutting strings) but it plays and sounds a LOT like my Custom ESP Horizon. It's a really sweet guitar for $650.

No, you're absolutely right. Don't get me wrong.

My point really depended more on your definition of shredding...I took the OP's question to mean "shred" as in, like, Racer X, early Greg Howe, Tony Mcalpine shred. You can absolutely "shred," as in "play fast" and freakin' rip it up, on absolutely any guitar you are comfortable playing!

I just meant that for strictly "shredding" in the sense of the "shred" genre, there's absolutely a reason the rise of the SuperStrat occurred when 80s shred came into its own. Those guitarists found those guitars to be the best for "shredding." Flat necks, 24 frets, huge scooped horns, Floyds, etc.

Back
Top Bottom