I need a Cream "Crossroads" Patch anyone know which amp?

kmanick

Fractal Fanatic
the cover band I've been working with is thinking of covering this and I'd like to get somewhat close to the sound he had live at winterland during that now famous recording.
I played it the other night through one of my Plexi patches and it didn't sound quite right (sounded good but different)
anyone know what model we've got that can nail it?

a H/H strat (GMW) with a duncan custom/59 combo
I'll try the JTM45, I was watching some old live footage of cream and it looked like Fendrs on stage not Marshalls ??

During that time, Eric was mainly playing an SG into Marshall Super Lead 100 amps, into the old Marshall cabs with Celestion Greenbacks in them. Some think he might have played Crossroads on his ES-335, which is entirely possible. Either way, it was likely Gibson Humbuckers on the guitar end. Concert pics will be an iffy call as people often played whatever was available when away from their home base. Eric played Vox, Fender, Music Man, and other amps throughout those years, but the Marshall was his main amp in the Cream era.

Try the JTM or Jumped Plexi into two 100 watt 4x12 greenback cabs and see if that gets you there. The speakers might make more difference than the amp (tip- they very often do!)!

thanks, this is going into a duncan powerstage out to a either an early jcm 800 2X12 or a Mesa 2X12 so the greenback cabs for frfr
are not really relevant in my scenario

Consensus seems to be that Clapton used a 10000 serial number Super Bass spec during the last leg of Cream. A little darker and less aggressive than a Super Lead spec amp. Clapton also plugged into the Normal input.

Try the Plexi 100 normal. Try dialing back input trim to “.5” to mimic the normal input, turn off the bright switch and dial back the bright cap value to the lowest value. I like to switch the preamp to the JTM45 pre.

Subtle differences, but it makes for some interesting changes.

Maybe up the sag and speaker compression. Greenbacks compress more than a 800 or Mesa cab.

Last edited:
thanks, this is going into a duncan powerstage out to a either an early jcm 800 2X12 or a Mesa 2X12 so the greenback cabs for frfr
are not really relevant in my scenario
Got it. Just be aware that speakers are a huge part of the sound, so trying to make vanilla using various types of chocolate may be a lesson in futility. Some folks here use the speaker block without going FRFR. Trying unusual combinations sometimes works! Best of luck in your search.

so I just stumbled across "A simple Plexi" rig" preset in the "B" section of factory presets, I lowered the gain a little bit and tweaked slightly for low res etc and it's good, it gets me close enough.
thanks for the suggestions

Back
Top Bottom