I modified the Factory Presets for the 4 Cable Method

chris

Owner's Manual Reader
well... not all of them yet!

i am working on modifying all the Factory presets for use with the 4 Cable Method. many new users of the Axe-Fx want to integrate it into their current setup with their favorite amp; not everyone wants to jump to full range speakers.

the factory presets are great, but are more intended for full range setups. those who want to do the 4 Cable Method need to do a lot of work to hear the presets. but with these modified presets, they can hook up in 4cm, load them into the Axe, and start playing (after a bit of volume balancing of course).

i completed the first 128 presets, Bank A. would anyone who already understands the 4cm and has a real amp be able to test these out for me? i want to make sure things work before i do the other 600 something presets ;)

here are the details:

these are the latest Axe-Fx presets available (FW 18.xx)
these were made using Quantum FW 1.06 on a Mark I

changes made:
add "4CM" to each preset name
change CAB block to FX Loop block
move FX Loop block in front of Amp block
set Amp block Level to -50 dB
Engage FX Loop and bypass Amp block in Scene 1 and 3-8
Scene 2 bypasses FX Loop block and Engages Amp block

So Scene 1 will use your real Amp's preamp with whatever effects are on in the preset
Scene 2 will bypass your real Amp's preamp and instead use the Amp sim of that preset
however, since the Amp block Level was set to -50 dB, you will have to manually adjust that volume for your setup. so on first load, Scene 2 will appear silent.

i had to do this because everyone's 4cm setup is different. if you crank your amp master but keep the channel quiet, the Amp block at -15 dB or similar could be very, very loud. so to prevent accidents, i made it very quiet.

chances are that most people will only want to use their real amp preamp for the tone and the Axe just for effects. in that case, just use Scene 1 and overwrite Scene 2 at some point. but for those who do want to use Axe Amp sims as well, you have it ready in Scene 2, but you just have to adjust the Level parameter up until it is the volume you need.

here is Bank A modified for 4cm as described above: https://www.dropbox.com/s/78acwviohnhtvz3/Bank-A-4-cable-method.syx?dl=0

if someone can test it in a real 4cm setup with a real amp, please let me know if it works correctly. thanks!

Wow!!!! Awesome stuff. I have never used the axe in 4cm but this has inspired me to dig up some cables and try it. I'll let you know what happens. It may take a day or two ..... Crazy week :)

Thanks Chris, you rock! And I've never even hooked the axe up 4CM. We've got some pretty good folks here on the forum.

For any users who may not know exactly how the 4CM works, could someone explain the cables hookups that will enable this setup to work with "real" amps...?!

I think some who haven't tried it before may be interested in trying it.
Thanks Chris!!!

there are a few recent threads discussing the 4 cable method specifically with video examples. the search function here should find them :)

Thanks Flash!!
I appreciate the vid and I'm sure others will also.
I've used 4CM previously and enjoyed it. Hope others find it useful and fun!!

thanks! just load some presets and let me know if Scene 1 works immediately (assuming you are already connected via 4cm).

Hi Chris.

All appears to be working great & as described. Here is a quick sample.

Scene 1 sample is a Friedman SS head using the 4CM. I've activated the delay in the preset.

Scene 2 sample is the Axe FX simulating a 'Plexi Normal 4CM' preset through the Friedman power amp section only. I found bringing the amp level up to about -20/-15db gets you in the same ballpark as the real tube amp level.

Hi Chris.

All appears to be working great & as described. Here is a quick sample.

Scene 1 sample is a Friedman SS head using the 4CM. I've activated the delay in the preset.

Scene 2 sample is the Axe FX simulating a 'Plexi Normal 4CM' preset through the Friedman power amp section only. I found bringing the amp level up to about -20/-15db gets you in the same ballpark as the real tube amp level.

AWESOME! thanks! i just want to give 4cm users a starting point and a way to try the factory presets. i know -50 is basically silent, but i'd rather do that then have someone get blasted when they load Scene 2. maybe i'll change that to -30 or so just so there's some sound?

if they run their master wide open and amp channel volume low, when they use Scene 2, it will be MUCH louder... gah i don't know what to do and don't want to create too much work for others.

I think what you've done is fine. It's the safer option & then the user can fine tune themselves.

Thanks. I'll spend more time with your presets over the next few weeks

I think what you've done is fine. It's the safer option & then the user can fine tune themselves.

Thanks. I'll spend more time with your presets over the next few weeks
ok that's what i thought. thanks!

and just to reiterate, i am only modifying the original Factory Presets, so they are the exact same, just with the FX Loop block added, etc.

Does anyone have a preset designed to use two external amps through the FX loop (7 cable method?)? I want to run my 5150 iii (50 watt) and Engl e670 in stereo as I love both of these amps and they are midi controllable. Seems like it should be possible since the FX loop is stereo. I'm fairly proficient but I'd rather not reinvent the wheel if someone has already tackled it. Thanks!

so it's been a while since i started this task, but i think i'm gonna change how i'm gonna do it.

at first i was just taking out the cab block but keeping the amp block so people have a chance to try the amp modeling with their 4cm rig. this was nice but has some challenges, like Level for the amp block. depending on the 4cm setup, it could be very loud or very quiet. also the comment above regarding a Stereo setup (7cm) made me realize i'd then need 2 amp blocks for Stereo operation...

so since i'm really doing this for true 4cm use, i think i'm just going to remove the Amp block completely. this also speeds things up for me. any one can add an amp block after the FXL and adjust things as they want. with my previous method they'd have to go into the Amp block and adjust the level anyway, so it's almost the same.

i hope to get back to this process during this week. since we have no ETA on QFW 2.00 release, i'll be using 1.06 to create the presets. since the Amp block is gone, it really shouldn't matter actually :)

Thanks! Can you only use stereo effects blocks In that scenario or do all the effects blocks have two paths? Please forgive my lack of knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom