I might be getting off the Axe-Fx train

Hanging your hat on superb audio quality is great - but so is creating an intuitive and inviting UI.
It is an intuitive and inviting interface. When you've actually operated one, you'll know what I mean.

In Sales we always try to get the shopper to touch the controls, play with the device, get hooked on it. It’s called “transfer of ownership” and an intuitive interface helps - a lot. And just b/c FAS sells factory-direct doesn’t mean that prospective buyers don’t lay hands on one out in the Real World before their minds get made up.
The only time Fractal's sales are hurting is when they're sold out. :)

@Rex - would a pic of my XL+ rig help you pocket some of your condescension? I know of what I speak - I’ve been doing it for a living for a very long time. I’m happy that you’re satisfied with “how things are” and that it works for you - but there’s not a lot of money to be made in remaining stationary.

FWIW - I haven’t seen the FC6/12 other than the “artist renderings” on the FAS site, but dammit if every footswitch isn’t surrounded with colored LED rings... and I’ll bet you a case of Heineken they change colors.

And the next time you’re hanging with Cliff, ask him if he’d like to painlessly turn 15% of Headrush sales into AX8’s and upsell 25% of those into III’s.

naaahhhhhh... nevermind.

I actually have loved the AFII front panel! I got really good on it before I even tried Axe Edit. That has served me well at rehearsals when I need to adjust new presets and deep parameters in a hurry. I for one look forward to mastering the new front panel as it looks to be more fluid yet. I had a Helix for a while and never bonded with it's control layout partly because I was so familiar with the AFII. Knowing Fractal, I bet the AXIII will be a logical evolution of the AXII front panel and an easy step forward for many familiar with the II's panel.

When you've actually operated one, you'll know what I mean.
  • CONDESCEND
    intransitive verb
  • 1a : to descend to a less formal or dignified level : “She would not condescend to respond to such a crass remark.”
    b : to waive the privileges of rank
  • 2: to assume an air of superiority: “The writer treats his readers as equals and never condescends to them.”
Assuming (esp. incorrectly) that someone who disagrees with your opinion has a less reasonable basis for their opinion can often be considered condescending.

• CONDESCEND
    intransitive verb
  • 1a : to descend to a less formal or dignified level : “She would not condescend to respond to such a crass remark.”
    b : to waive the privileges of rank
  • 2: to assume an air of superiority: “The writer treats his readers as equals and never condescends to them.”
Assuming (esp. incorrectly) that someone who disagrees with your opinion has a less reasonable basis for their opinion can often be considered condescending.

You're complaining about the axefx 3 interface, which you've not used or seen in person. Rex has the unit in his hands, is using it and has experience with the interface. Doesn't really seem that he's incorrectly assuming that you have a less reasonable basis for your opinion about the axefx 3 interface than he does.

Condescending would be more like... how hard is it to operate a couple of clearly labeled knobs and buttons? Seems like most adults of reasonable cognitive function are capable of operating simple electronics without the need for elementary level color coding¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

That would be condescending...

You could also get a quick idea of the meaning by reading through your own posts in this thread.

Me too... With the same sample rate and bit depth I don't need four drives, four delays,512 presets, a billion of cabs,BLA,BLA,BLA.... And the colour screen...For me the axe3 is the promise for the never ending story firmware updates that are incredible until the next one appears..
This without question.
Then again, I want all those other things even though I don't need them.

I love posts from people who find FAS UI difficult or cumbersome.... makes me feel like a f'kng genious, the ease with which I mastered the front panel! Excited to play with the III without editor or FC just to learn it too!

Haha yea. Ax8 is my only fractal gear, the way people act would have you thinking the front panel is all but worthless...I don't really get the issue. Couple things I would want different (like directional buttons for navigation) but nothing crippling. The axe 2 looks like it's a breeze to use and the axe3 looks like it's going to be a pleasure... Just need to work on affording these things

You sound like this: " This product isn't so great. It has a bunch of stuff I don't need or want and didn't fix the main problems. It will just sound better and more realistic, get better over time and I will buy it, give Fractal more money and have better tone." Who wants to get rid of the main parameter value rotary encoder? Who is making their patches on the front display and not using Axe-Edit? How is the new display not way better than the current display (although I don't think it is a touch screen which is kind of a bummer)?

Bottom line is that the Fractal amp models are the best. The more CPU you throw at them, them more Cliff & Co. will deliver.

When I was a boy we didn’t have fancy editing software. We edited our rack units my scrolling through multiple sub menus displayed on tiny monochrome LCDs. It made us men. You kids whining about football field sized color displays...
When I was a boy we didn't have software! And no punch-card AxeFX as far as I knew - I got 25 cents per week for allowance...

@Rex - would a pic of my XL+ rig help you pocket some of your condescension? I know of what I speak - I’ve been doing it for a living for a very long time. I’m happy that you’re satisfied with “how things are” and that it works for you - but there’s not a lot of money to be made in remaining stationary.

FWIW - I haven’t seen the FC6/12 other than the “artist renderings” on the FAS site, but dammit if every footswitch isn’t surrounded with colored LED rings... and I’ll bet you a case of Heineken they change colors.

And the next time you’re hanging with Cliff, ask him if he’d like to painlessly turn 15% of Headrush sales into AX8’s and upsell 25% of those into III’s.

naaahhhhhh... nevermind.

You seem a little overly sensitive. Maybe I'm completely wrong here but I got the impression he was saying having hands on experience with a product that very few people have actually had their hands on will help you understand his point of view better that it is intuitive and inviting. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me nor does it seem particularly condescending, but then I don't have a dog in this fight so...just sayin'.

I’ve clearly erred - I was not referring in any way to the front panel of the III. And true, I haven’t touched one of those, although they share several traits with the II. My bad for not realizing that this is specifically an FX III thread - totally my mistake.

I’ve no problem operating my XL+ b/c like many I use AxeEdit or FracPad. The Value knob is fine - but I’d still like a way to do the same thing with an expression pedal as well, at least until I get better playing with one hand.

I still believe that there’s easy money to be made by FAS simply asking themselves: “can we make this same level of price/performance more convenient for different levels of users to learn and operate - without sacrificing advanced function for advanced users?”.

Finally - I wouldn’t have purchased an XL+ (for retail!) if I didn’t think it’s a damn fine piece of gear.

I’ve clearly erred - I was not referring in any way to the front panel of the III. And true, I haven’t touched one of those, although they share several traits with the II. My bad for not realizing that this is specifically an FX III thread - totally my mistake.

Thanks, that's a cool reply.

Laxu, I don't know you and have no quarrel with you...but as I mentioned on 'another' site, your username sticks out to me solely because I have seen you complaining about the value-wheel on Fractal products for ten years.
I don't like dicking around on the front panel either. But I reckon it could be mastered in less than a decade.

If you're not already in interface design, you should consider entering the field. Your passion and dedication to perfect UI is remarkable.

Back
Top Bottom